Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM

PhoenixTitan has disabled reputation
Counter for Jotun?

Hey all, new to the Heroscapers fourms. Ive been looking at the site for a LOOOONGGGG time but i just made the account =D

Anyway...I just bought a bunch of expansion sets and the RoTV master set...i also have the SoTM master set and the marvelscape set..We combine Marvel with Base Heroscape, but im not really sure on a counter for Jotun yet. Any ideas?

An order marker saved is a turn earned.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM

darkmantle has disabled reputation
Pretty much anything, his Defense is low, it is pretty easy to kill him well before he has done his points worth of damage. Yes he may take out a few of your units first, but usually not over 200 points worth. Ranged squads tend to be best in what I've seen. Really when I face Jotun on a map, I don't get nearly as nervous as I do against about 5 others.
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Well I mean, I just can't seem to find a good ranged unit against him. AE seemed like a good choice for awhile, but I couldn't roll a 13 and ended up losing before I could get them on the map. I thought about using Kaemon Awa, but he probably wouldn't be too effective for his point cost at only four attack versus Jotun's four defence. My last option that I ended up not doing, but thought about doing, was the combined special attack from the Roman Archers.

Old January 24th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Another good counter for Jotun that I've had success with are the Warriors of Ashra. They can tie him up (unless he wants to take leaving engagements) and once they are adjacent, the WoA only need I shield defense. That pretty much easily counters his higher attack value.

Just my opinion

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM

phantomclone has disabled reputation
hmm

Yes, WOA are a good counter, but as far as that goes you could use rats that are cheaper and faster! I've killed him several times, with these units: Krav Maga Agents, Gladiatron/Blastatron combo, Q9, 4th Mass, sotm Drake, Kaemon Awa, Airbourne Elites(if you can roll that 13 LOL) and even wounded him 4 times with Isamu! heck, I went 1v1 against Nilfheim with Isamu and wounded him 3 times before I died! Pretty impressive! There are tons of other good cards, but these are a some of my more recent memories!

Never smell what you can hear????
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:00 AM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
I'd say use the Kozuke Sammurai. One time I rushed him with all three and took him out that turn.

Also, when using units to tie him up. Be sure to space them out so he can't crush them all at once. It's possible for him to wild swing a few and throw one in the same turn.

And the Ashra can only 1 shield defend from his normal attack. His wild swing negates their power.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM

MechaBeast is surprisingly tart
Squads with base 3 attack, commons are good, range helps even more.
Attacking with Heroes is a good way for Jotun to earn his points. If Jotun can take out a Hero with his attack of eight, he will. If he swats a squad figure with eight, you still have at least 2 other squad figs. to attack with.

Try to keep Jotun's kills per turn at 2 or below and he should be taken down without him taking out his points.

...and then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them all onto a boat and then he beat the crap out every single one.

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM

aerofool Woo who?
His wild swing is what makes it hard to keep him tied down with large numbers of squads. Ashra, Rats, Ninjas and anything with counterstrike can help tie him down to a point. Even massive ammounts of cheap zombies can work too.

Using Silver Surfer or Dund to remove order markers can also pretty much keep Jotun tied up as well.

If you want to take him out with range after tieing him up, what works well are ranged units with good ranged abilities that allow for more opportunities to do damage. Aubrien archers and Laglor can attack again and again. Ashigaru Harquebus and 4th Mass get 3 attack die when they don't move, which makes a huge differance at times.

There are many more options. Be sure to check out the books and really read the cards and you'll discover many ways to take care of the situation at hand!

****! I must be having a bad week!
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAROCEAN980

And the Ashra can only 1 shield defend from his normal attack. His wild swing negates their power.
I completely forgot that. Thanks Starocean980

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Thank you all for such good ideas. I played a game about half an hour ago, and of course, I picked my ususal army, and my opponent picked Jotun. I traded out a group of Marrow Stingers and my Ninjas for the Rats AND The WOA. Worked out perfectly, wild swing has such a low attack, but I had never thought about the one shield blockage from the WOA for normal attacks. It also helped that my rats somehow managed to take down three of his health before the WOA even got there, LOL. And yes, I still couldn't roll a 13 for the AE...

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Who Bummed Woo

Glad you finally took him down Phoenix. Good job.

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
If you play Marvel, I usually take him down with one hit from the Hulk, or you can use Dr. Doom to throw him into lava....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units