Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:12 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: What's for dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
That sounds delicious LO, except what’s a Quorn?
Don't you get that in the U.S.? It's a brand of meat-substitutes made of mycoprotein, and much nicer than that description makes it sound! Absolutely invaluable if you're vegetarian.
The Quorn roasts are so bloody versatile...

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:46 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I’ve never heard of anything by that name but maybe it’s called something else here. Or maybe that’s what it’s called and my vegetarian daughter never asked for it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:53 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I’ve never heard of anything by that name but maybe it’s called something else here. Or maybe that’s what it’s called and my vegetarian daughter never asked for it.
Seems like it's primarily a UK/Europe product.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 05:04 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Yeah, looking it up it appears to be. Seems there was some controversy when it was released in the US about it being mislabeled as a mushroom product (it's based on a fungus, mycoprotein, but said fungus isn't actually mushroom).

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 3rd, 2020, 09:52 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I've had Quorn and still buy occasionally as it is the best of the meat-less alternatives - you can get in most groceries in the US in the "natural/alternative" frozen section or at health food store such as Whole Foods. It has the texture and somewhat look of chicken breasts, but is fairly flavorless. Usually it contains eggs though so is not vegan but they do make a vegan one that I haven't tried. It's main ingredient is
Fusarium venenatum Fusarium venenatum
which is a "microfungus" and not a "macrofungus" AKA a mushroom.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 09:56 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I guess I don't get the whole "let's replace meat with a flavorless thing pretending to be meat" approach. Like if you don't want to eat meat, that I do get, but there's so many flavorful things you can eat instead!

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:14 AM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I guess I don't get the whole "let's replace meat with a flavorless thing pretending to be meat" approach. Like if you don't want to eat meat, that I do get, but there's so many flavorful things you can eat instead!
Because texture + flavour absorbtion. Plus, it's not at all as flavourless as chap's making out - the bacon's actually lovely, as are the sausages and even the chicken's nice as long as you do something with it. My Mum's even said that the vegetarian burgers we can pick up (usually Tesco Meat Free and Linda McCartney rather than Quorn... though Quorn does do a nice chicken burger) are actually nicer than the ones she had before she was vegetarian. Admittedly, I can't compare, since I've never eaten meat, but it's honestly really nice, and my Mum says the only meat she actually misses tends to be seafood (veggie fish alternatives are exceedingly rare). And when your reasons for not eating meat are ethical rather than 'I don't like meat...'

Basically, you're not going to treat it just like meat - you're not going to have a cut of Quorn as your meal - but if you put it with something and make your meal flavourful, it works really well. Just needs a touch of creativity!
Oh, and when cooking vege food, soy sauce is a go-to, asian or not - best way to get a richness and umami-ness that you'd otherwise get from the meat juices. It's a vegetarian's cheat-code, basically - my bro discovered that, and we've been using it constantly since.

~Lazy Orang, who's been watching through a number of old Hell's Kitchens with her Mum recently and is honestly confused by the number of high class omnivorous meals that are mostly just well-cooked meat, with very little in the way of interesting sauces, flavourings and ingredients to go with it - oh, and the lobster pastas with what looks like just a bog-standard marinara sauce. They honestly look boring half the time.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I guess umami-ness would be the main reason to eat fake meat. Makes sense.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:54 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

My daughter sometimes eats vegetarian things that look like meat, and sometimes eats vegetarian things that don't. I know when I'm doing the cooking, they're both capable of being delicious.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 3rd, 2020, 02:00 PM

I enjoy stuff like that. I find it pairs well with meat.

Last edited by IAmBatman; April 13th, 2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 03:45 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Yeah, I guess umami-ness would be the main reason to eat fake meat. Makes sense.
No, the main reason is to give you the maximum number of culinary options when you don't eat meat for whatever reason, be it health or, in my case, ethical.

Quote:
My daughter sometimes eats vegetarian things that look like meat, and sometimes eats vegetarian things that don't. I know when I'm doing the cooking, they're both capable of being delicious.
Thank you! That's basically my experience of vegetarian cooking.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old August 28th, 2020, 07:23 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
No, the main reason is to give you the maximum number of culinary options when you don't eat meat for whatever reason, be it health or, in my case, ethical.

Quote:
Thank you! That's basically my experience of vegetarian cooking.
This may have been stated already and I missed it as I didn't bother to read the entire thread but mushrooms, especially portabellos in my experience, are a great source of umami as a roasted portabello has a mouthfeel very similar to meat. While I'm not vegetarian myself I have had a lot of experience with vegetarian dishes and currently have one on a menu I am writing. It is a walnut and beet burger and it's delicious. Peel and shred your beets and lightly crush walnuts, add whatever seasonings you prefer and add a binder, perhaps xanthum gum depending on your vegetarian morals as it's derived from bacteria, then form into patties, sear and bake. The walnuts are used to give the buger more body and a better mouthfeel than the one note you get from the beets.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General