Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old October 28th, 2018, 01:26 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2018

I was responding to Warrior, I’m storing terrain for him.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old October 29th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrimentalman View Post
I was responding to Warrior, I’m storing terrain for him.
Ah, right. Unrelated to the table-size question.

Today's News: The more I clean up in my room, the more cool Heroscape stuff I find. I've now located my extra uncommon hero stickers, at least some of my extra uncommon cards, and all my extra markers: the Anti-Vampire League, with its 2 werewolf lords, is now built. Also, @hivelord , I have 4 squads of Death Chasers that I can easily lay hands on. There might be more lying around somewhere, but it would require more digging.

That all I got for tonight. I have to go back to work tomorrow. For a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 29th, 2018, 06:28 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
I have 4 squads of Death Chasers that I can easily lay hands on. There might be more lying around somewhere, but it would require more digging.
Oh fun! I guess if I'm going to put that army in I'd need a Gothlok as well but it does sound fun.

Now that I think about it, would anyone be up for lending me two squads of Stingers again this year or are they all in use?

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old October 30th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
I have 4 squads of Death Chasers that I can easily lay hands on. There might be more lying around somewhere, but it would require more digging.
Oh fun! I guess if I'm going to put that army in I'd need a Gothlok as well but it does sound fun.
I can't help you there. I haven't picked up ol' Gothy yet.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, would anyone be up for lending me two squads of Stingers again this year or are they all in use?
I can't see any problem with that ... I believe Quillon is using some, but I should have 6 or so total, so it shouldn't be problem.

AFA format stuff goes, I was thinking about ensuring that the solo players have as little disadvantage as possible. I'm proposing the following, most of which is just clarifications of the existing format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format for Pool Requests (proposed)
  • Solo play is assigned as follows:
    • There will be only as many games with solo players as is necessary to ensure that all players can participate in each tourney round.
    • In tourney round #1, only players who have placed 2nd or higher in a previous tourney are eligible. Solo players, if required, are drawn randomly from those eligible.
    • In tourney round #2, only players who have a win in the previous round are eligible for solo play. At the discretion of the tourney directors, more inexperienced players can be removed from eligibility.
    • In tourney rounds #3 and those following, only players who have no losses in previous tourney rounds are eligible for solo play. If there are no such players, only players who have a single loss are eligible, and so forth.
    • In all tourney rounds beyond the first, players who have played solo in previous rounds are removed from eligibility unless that would reduce the count of eligible players to an insufficient number.
  • At the beginning of each game, after map and partner assignments, requests for armies from the pool are made:
    • A request is made by writing the player name and the requested army name on a piece of paper.
    • Each opposing side may make a single request. Solo players must make a request; team players may either make a request (for one partner, though both may consult on the decision) or may "bluff" by submitting a blank request, or a request with "N/A" or "none" written on it.
    • Requests from solo players go into one stack; requests from team players go into another.
    • Requests from solo players are drawn at random first, then requests from team players are drawn at random. Blank (bluff) requests are simply ignored.
    • For each draw, if the requested army is still in the pool, that player receives that army.
      • Solo players use the new army in addition to their primary army. They play both armies completely separately: separate initiative, separate order markers, for each army units in the other army are "friendly" but not "that you control."
      • Team players use their primary armies, substituting the requested army (if any) for the primary army of the requesting partner. Partners are allies as normal (figures in one army are "friendly," etc).
    • For each draw, if the requested army is not still in the pool, the requesting player may choose any army left in the pool instead, or a team player may choose to abandon their request and fall back to keeping their primary army.
    • Any side that does not receive its first requested army gets two "consolation tokens" (so solo players get 2 and team players get 1 each). Consolation tokens are saved until the end of the tournament; they cannot impact who wins an individual game, but they can have a small impact on the overall tourney ranking.
Notes:
  1. The idea is only the better/more experienced players do the solo play. That's somewhat subjective, of course, so I'm straining a bit to put it into concrete terms. For round #1, my solution basically means (given our current attendee list) that solo players will be drawn from Dman, hivelord, and wnfb, unless superfrog has some tourney wins from other locations. That seems reasonable, no? By round #3, people with the most wins should be a self-selecting group; round #2 is the only real problematic one. For instance, the Smaller Animal might get paired with one you awesome fellows—who just happened not to get picked for solo play—and you end up going up against, say, me and someone else, kick our butts, and then suddenly my 12-year-old is eligible for solo play ... I couldn't really think of an entirely objective way around this, so I threw in the "discretion of the directors" bit. It's not ideal, but I think we can roll with it.
  2. OTOH, we shouldn't make anyone do solo play more than once, unless they're just kicking so much ass that there isn't anyone else to pick.
  3. I implemented hivelord's suggestion of solo players getting to pick first. It's definitely true that they're hurt more than team players by not getting their first army choice.
  4. I threw in a way for team players to bluff if they decide not request a pool army.
  5. I implemented Quillon's suggestion that, if you don't get your first army choice, you can always say "screw it! all these other armies SUCK! I'm sticking with my original army." (Applicable to teams only, of course.)
  6. The whole "consolation token" thing is an idea I've been noodling around with to give you a token advantage (pun intended) to make up for not getting your first army choice. Probably it would be something like every consolation token is worth 10 points, but, as you see above, those points only get added at the very end, so they can only impact you if you're tied with someone else on both wins and SoS, and you're within a few points of their point total. So chances are good it'll never make a difference anyway. Quillon says I should just drop it. But I think of it as a sort of concession to help address any "if only I'd been able to get that army I really wanted, then I would've done better!" type of feelings. But, you know: I'm flexible on it. Quillon may have a point that it adds complexity for no real gain.
  7. So, just to recap: things you know before making a pool request include
    • what map you'll be playing on,
    • who your partner is, if you have one, and what their army will be,
    • what army/ies you might be playing against: you only know half if you have a solo opponent, and you know the starting armies if you have a team opponent,
    and things you don't know before making the request include
    • what armies you'll definitely be playing against, because a solo opponent will get a whole new army, and team opponents might choose to swap out one of their armies,
    • whether you'll actually get the army you request or not.
    So you have a lot of info, but there's still some uncertainty. Everything in the first list is fair game; eerything in the second list is a gamble. If you want to ditch your vampires because your opponents have a soulborg-heavy army, and then they end up trading out the soulborgs for some reason, oh well. Sucks to be you.

Does all that sound reasonable? Any strong opinions on whether the consolation tokens are a good idea or a bad idea?

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 30th, 2018, 05:20 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

So, you didn't list him, but my pop won the tourney I think two years ago and finished second last year. I'm sure he'd appreciate not having to play solo but thought I'd mention it.

I'm with Quillion on the tokens but don't really feel strongly one way or the other.

[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old November 1st, 2018, 05:48 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
So, you didn't list him, but my pop won the tourney I think two years ago and finished second last year. I'm sure he'd appreciate not having to play solo but thought I'd mention it.
Hunh. Nope, I'd totally forgotten that. Well, I'm perfectly fine with including him ... or not. I'm super-flexible that way.

Quote:
I'm with Quillion on the tokens but don't really feel strongly one way or the other.
Yeah, maybe it doesn't really matter. I was just thinking that people might end up feeling like they got ripped off if they couldn't get the army they wanted and then they didn't do well. But maybe it doesn't matter.

I'll update the format without the tokens for now. If anyone else has strong opinions, speak up quick!

EDIT: Also clarified how points work, which is the way it has to be to maintain partner harmony. At this point, the only purple we have is for the length of each game (75 min is the proposed time), and whether we use a floating number for treasure glyph trap rolls. We've been doing the floating number in our practice games and I have to say I think it really works well. If I can create the round cards (which I plan to work on tomorrow), it should be easy enough to keep track of.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; November 1st, 2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added thought
Old November 1st, 2018, 05:48 PM

What time will people be arriving for map-building and the like?

Old November 1st, 2018, 06:01 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'm not bringing a map, but I'm going to try to arrive a hair before 11.

Does anybody have 3 squads of Shaolin Monks and Zetacron that I could borrow? If not Zetacron, I'd settle for Me-Burq-Sa. Thanks in advance!
Old November 1st, 2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Does anybody have 3 squads of Shaolin Monks and Zetacron that I could borrow? If not Zetacron, I'd settle for Me-Burq-Sa. Thanks in advance!
I have at least two squads of monks and the 'cron.

Old November 2nd, 2018, 01:29 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
What time will people be arriving for map-building and the like?
Well, I'm going to try to leave a half an hour early this year, so maybe I can get there around 10:30 this time. But, you know ... early isn't my strong suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'm actually using all my monks, weirdly. I do have a Zeta, but it sounds like hivelord's got ya covered.

Today's News: We've got one more definite, so we should be up to 11 (which would put us at 2v2 / 2v2 / 2v1). But perhaps we'll have some last-minute additions.

I started building pool armies. So far I only found one illegal one (my snow army was using 28 spaces(!!)), and I found a way to fix that (not perfect, but it'll do). I also found a bunch that I don't have cards for, but I think I can take care of that tomorrow.

I think I'm making an executive decision on the 75 minute limit and just de-purpling that one.

I also didn't hear anything back about heavy snow/slippery ice, so I'm going with the decisions I threw out on those. I'm going to add those notes to the build instructions so that they'll be available for the players.

I still don't have a fix for the table size issue ... but I think we're just going to have to play it by ear. Let's plan on putting those two 71x29 folding tables together, making a 71x58 surface which should hold 2 maps. And then we're stuck using the pool tables for the other 2, which puts us on separate floors, which I don't like, but we can make it work.

I'll go to the printer's tomorrow and print out map instructions, whatever other cards I need, etc. I'm still hoping to create a few other forms and whatnot to help keep the play going smoothly.

Quillon and J, the Smaller Animal, and I all have our armies set. W is coming over tomorrow and we'll make that army then; C is supposed to be getting back to me (maybe tonight). Hopefully none of those will bork my pool armies.

That's all for now. 2 MORE DAYS!!!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 2nd, 2018, 01:40 AM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart

Inside bumpers is 44" by 88".
Found 4 folding tables in laundry rooms.
They are 30" by 60".
Also, noticed overlooked short table of
28" by 60".

I haven't created any armies.
I've done no research on CV3.

Still have hivelord's dice tower and sunglasses from last year.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:00 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quick addendum:
  • I need an extra Marcu (and card); last year everyone wanted Isamu, this year everyone wants Marcu. Can anyone (@warriorneedsfoodbadly or @hivelord , perhaps) spare an extra little demon-vampire?
  • I've completed 12 pool armies so far, and 2 more are only waiting on cards. I had to give up the demon pod, but I may replace it with a dwarf pod. No promises though.
  • I've de-purpled everything in the top post. At this point, y'all had your chances to complain. And I've got to print stuff, so some of it is about to be ensconced on the page.
That's all I got ATM.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day