Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old October 17th, 2020, 09:01 PM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Online NHSD Event

I went with Stingersx5 and Q10 for two reasons. One, I never actually played Stingers in real life, despite owning 6 squads. Two, I assumed there would be even more customs present, so I wanted an army that was strong enough to power through my inexperience in playing against those customs.

52% of my Stinger Drains were a 4 or less. the other 48% were a 10 or greater, with 1 being a 9 and a +1 from a glyph. The only drain that I felt cost me a game was a completely unnecessary one where I had 3 Stingers on height against an Azurite Warlord.

Otherwise, the majority of my games had Dysole's statistics, where the dice heavily favored me winning, but tactics and bad drains decided otherwise. I would rather be lucky than good, just ask Rincewind!

Overall, my dice rolls averaged something like 58% attack and 41% defense. It's so dumb how I can actually attribute luck to my games online, including my "tutorial" game a couple of weeks ago featuring a clutch 19 on a Mohican when I desperately needed it, and I have no such luck in the real world.

Today's 3-2 record in this tournament matches every tournament I've been to in the past 10 years, save my very first Islandscape, where I went 2-3. I am definitely looking forward to more online scape, it doesn't quite scratch the itch, but it's darned close!

As a side note, I would love to purchase some OnlineCon2020 dice, if possible, just to have something to remember my first online tourney.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!
Old October 19th, 2020, 04:37 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

OK here's a quick write-up of my games.

For the reasons that have been outlined by others, I felt that Axegrinders were the meta pick. I didn't want to play them, but I wanted to make sure I had an answer to them. I very nearly went with Romans x3, MDG, NGS, and Airborne, and I also considered Zelrig, Greenscales x2, Dividers x3. However in the end I felt the option that gave me the smoothest matchups was Blades x4, Grimnak, Nerak, Kaemon Awa. I very rarely play any of these figures but I thought it matches reasonably well against Axegrinders if you keep Grimnak well-screened, and it has the numbers and attack density to overwhelm most other enemies. The worst matchup would be some large or huge figure based attack, but I figured Axegrinders would scare most of those away.

Round 1
Opponent: Wumpis (Shieldsmiths x5, Kursus)
Map: Stygian Rift (Lodin/Kelda)

Kursus was a popular pick in this event due to the way the point totals worked out, and he was pretty dangerous to my army. Wumpis opened with the Kursus rush, but I was able to fan out blade gruts in order to deny any chance to bomb my startzone. With Kursus facing looming pressure from the advancing blades, he had to settle for an assassination attempt on Nerak, but only netted two wounds with Sonic Fists.

I moved Kaemon up and killed two Shieldsmiths on the advance, then the rest of the game was just Grimnak and the blades grinding through shieldsmiths. Wumpis did his best to use the terrain to screen out chomp, but there's only so much you can do. Some lava field deaths and an initiative switch allowed shieldsmiths to reach and kill Nerak, but Grimnak and the remaining blades just ground out the dwarves. Grimnak ended up near death, but I was able to completely screen out the final shieldsmiths and Kelda was within reach anyway. I won with 5 blades, a 1-life Grimnak, and a 2-wound Kaemon.

Round 2
Opponent: Shiftrex (Venocs x5, Kaemon, Mittens, Isamu)
Map: Turmoil (Ulaniva/Wannok)

Vipers have a pretty good matchup with the orc heroes, but less so with the blades, whose 4 attacks of 2 are a great counter to zero defense figures.

Early on I slow-rolled pretty hard while the vipers were also somewhat cautious. The vipers grabbed Wannok at the end of round 1 and things got started in the next round. I moved Nerak over to pick off the Wannok viper and then reinforced his flank with blades. The vipers missed some early attacks and the the vipers ended up missing every frenzy (including round 1, that makes 0/6). By the time the dust had settled on round 2, there were only two vipers left and I had only taken 1 wound to Grimnak and lost 3 blades.

Predictably, the OMs turned to Kaemon in round 3. However, Kaemon got chomped by Grimnak on the first try without a kill to show for it. At that point shiftrex resigned. The d20 was quite cruel in this one.

Round 3
Opponent: Ulysses (Romans x3, Azurite, MDG, MBS, Isamu)
Map: Stormwall (Valda/Dagmar)

This was definitely one of the matchups I was more worried about. Grimnak's ability to crack shield walls with chomp is great in this matchup, but with both MBS and Azurite in play, the risk of losing my heroes prematurely loomed large.

After a single OM to slow-roll up some orcs, I turned to Kaemon to try to snipe out MBS. On paper this is obviously a good matchup for Kaemon, but Kaemon's first attack had to go on MDG instead (for 2 wounds, but less useful) and then MBS quickly popped up and hit Kaemon for 2. Kaemon only managed 1 wound in return with quick release, and after getting single-engaged with a Roman, only managed one more before getting taken down. 2 wounds on MBS, 2 wounds on MDG, and one dead Roman certainly wasn't a terrible showing for Kaemon, but with a 1-life MBS still on the board and the Romans holding the move glyph I had to quickly establish board position with the orcs or it could get ugly.

After one move to get Nerak in play I dove in with Grimnak and started chomping. Disengage allowed me to get some 2v3s on MBS with Blade gruts, and fortunately the second one got through for the final wound. Conscious of the Azurite threat I backed out and screened my 3-life Grimnak, but Azurite slithered over the water to get near Grimnak, and one Furious Wrath later Grimnak was toast.

At this point I didn't feel great, with Nerak and 11 blades going up against a 7-life Azurite, a 4-life MDG, 6 Romans, and Isamu. However, I managed to keep Nerak screened out, and with 8 move blades I was able to chase down the Romans and snipe a critical OM. That left 8 blades and Nerak against the heroes.

For the next few turns I had Nerak stay well clear of the Azurite by chasing down Isamu, while the blades tried to wound the heroes in the middle of the map. By the time Isamu died I was down to 6 blades and had only managed a couple Marcus wounds. Azurite ended up holding up quite well and at one point Azurite had 5 life left and I was down to my last three blades (and Nerak). However, the dice turned there, and I won with 2 blades and Nerak.

Round 4
Opponent: Sir Heroscape (Drones x6, Q10)
Map: Fulcrum

This was the pair-down game; If I lost then the winner of the other 3-0 v. 3-0 game would have been the winner of the event. So I was playing to force a finals game.

Q10 is definitely a figure I'm concerned about, so I leaned on Kaemon early to deal with the threat. After some early sniping, we settled into an exchange where we were both next to jungle but I had height, so we were both rolling 2x4v6 each turn. The dice gods were slightly in my favor as I pulled out the win with a 1-life Kaemon at the opening of Round 3 (both of us had gone to our melee squad for OM3 of round 2).

Kaemon died to the next attack he faced from a Drone (my only counterstrike opportunity of the tournament) but with the Drones only rolling 3 activations for the early going, the Orcs were able to establish a very dominant position in the middle of the map. Once I had Grimnak in control of the central choke point with Nerak up on the hill and blades all around, things were very slanted in my favor. SirH did his best to try to outflank over the water, but this gives me more height opportunities in the process.

The activations did start to rise at the end, and SirH eventually took the side hill and took down Nerak, but it was too little too late, as Grimnak was in great shape to finish the last drones. I won with a 4-life Grimnak and 1 squad of blades.

Round 5
Opponent: vegietarian18 (mirror match)
Map: Platypus (Kelda & Ulaniva)

Vegie has already covered this game, and it will go up on 10PU at some point I imagine, so I won't go into too much detail here. I was definitely happy with how the early going went, as I was able to get more figures deeper into the map on the Kelda side. Vegie did win a critical initiative that allowed him to get a blade on height against Grimnak for the next few turns. Still, with Kelda 1 move away for Grimnak, I was willing to chance things, figuring that I could either get lucky and win the exchange anyway, or flee for Kelda at three wounds. (Of course I could also get killed by a single lucky strike, but it's about managing odds.) As it turned out, I got lucky and vegie's Grimnak went down first.

When OMs shifted to Kaemon I decided that Grimnak's best use was to try to chomp Kaemon and tank quick release, and if he failed then I could still fall back on the Kaemon duel. As it turned out, Grimnak chomped Kaemon on his first try for the second time in the tournament; I was 2/2 on d20 rolls to chomp for the entire event.

----

Overall, I think I was a bit lucky in the matchups I drew as I didn't have to face any of the Axegrinder builds, including the three Axegrinder x4 builds. That said, the blades do perform really well in this meta with the amount of buffs they can get from their bonding heroes.

Last edited by dok; November 11th, 2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:08 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Unfortunately I couldn’t get out of work this past Saturday so it was a bummer I couldn’t make it. Hope it went well and congrats dok and vegie (and others who placed high), looks like Blades+Kaemon was the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Sweet, I think I know what army I’m gonna go with.

Braxas
4x Marro Stingers

That's the most Cleon army I could think of.
The most Cleon army I can think of is Braxas, Stingers x3, and Zetacron

Nah the army I had in mind is a bit different. Right now I’m going back and forth on my other hero spot for my build (either going with a VC beatstick or an overshadowed unit from official scape).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Sweet, I think I know what army I’m gonna go with.

Braxas
4x Marro Stingers

That's the most Cleon army I could think of.
I got the name for him: the Overrated Special!
Now I’m gonna go with a Laglor build
The army I was going to bring was either Hydra, PK’s x3, Raelin SotM or Hydra, PK’s x3, Bahadur. I really couldn’t decide...I think after seeing the armies pool I’d hope to have Bahadur more, but I think both would have been fine, and fun.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day