Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old October 18th, 2017, 12:30 AM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Letters From the Front

Welcome to the lands of Agris (my own setting), torn apart by war and ancient technology, now struggling under the threat of rebellion.

The party has been trekking through the old remnants of the kingdom of Naylon. Once enlightened by technology, civil war and economic depression caused the collapse of their great empire. Religious fanaticism and honor filled the void left by a progressive idea of fusing magic and technology. But the people of Naylon refuse to quietly return to dust. Organizing themselves into loose resistance groups, they strike out against their occupiers, the Inquisition of the Light. Using an ancient war machine, they've been struggling for years to reclaim their land, and restore their dragon lord, the Firemind, to power.

After a party member lost an arm in a horrific accident, he's been struggling to find a suitable replacement. After poking around at the fortified city-state of Cog Bastion, he found a lead for a mechanical arm. The catch? They had to travel deep into resistance territory to recover the ashes of the Firemind for creating a simulacrum. Throughout the journey, they've been finding more and more clues relating to the forbidden history of the world.

On their way to the ruins of Gearworks, the old capital, they've encountered several "failed experiments", horrid abominations of flesh and metal serving to supplement the lack of the Firemind. Rifts from civil war created by the income disparity from the Naylon scientific revolution still stand, dividing rebels amongst themselves. Within a day's march to their destination, they come across an old military outpost, built across dysfunctional train tracks. Buried below lies the wreckage of the great weapon used by Naylon hundreds of years ago: Crystal Aegis, the 7th mechanized automaton.

Before they get a chance to analyze it, to their surprise, a train rolls in. It's the resistance, searching for old pieces of the mecha to wage war against the Inquisition. After a quick "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", they join forces, swearing to bring down Inquisition occupation.

Apparently mecha and robots fit pretty well into a D&D setting. Who could have guessed?

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaperedude View Post
My current 5e D&D campaign..... (I'm the dungeon master)

In the highly mystical, oriental campaign of Shin-Kaza (My own homebrew.....) the party has just emerged from the forsaken monastery high in the Choko mountains. There they were able to recover a number of ancient scrolls continuing music of an ancient and powerful nature. In the process of recovering these scrolls, one party member was permanently turned into a Carrion Crawler, and another was slain fighting a Blue Slaad. They now need to travel back through the underground mountain pass, and bring these scrolls to the greatest storyteller in the land. In trade for this music, they will receive one of the fabled Nine Mirrors. (They have five already.....) These mirrors are needed to stop a massive apocalypse that has been prophesied.

After that, they will travel into the spirit lands (An actual location on the map! It is a massive bamboo marshland!), where the lines between reality and the spirit realm are blurred. They are searching for a very powerful demon by the name of Fragalax. This demon has another mirror which is missing a shard. (This shard was recovered earlier by the party in the Tomb of the Scorpion King in the northern Wasakabi deserts.....)

Throughout all of this, a powerful group of psionics from the Far Kingdoms are attempting to recover the mirrors for themselves. They believe they have been chosen to save the world, and no puny group of adventures will get in their way. (This group is secretly led by a powerful demon, though this is a closely guarded secret.)

In summary, lots of ninjas, lots of spirits, and a good time.
Very cool. I love that a PC is now a Carrion Crawler.

Tell me more about the mirrors. How big are they? Appearance? Any powers by themselves?

We had a few campaigns that required acquiring skulls of power and before that, unicorn horns. Great far reaching campaign concept.

Love the rival group of psis angle. Good stuff.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:45 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Pasting in my posts from the other thread, in which I was also describing a D&D 5E campaign:

Quote:
I play a weekly D&D game, which isn't exactly a board game, but I'll mention it here anyway. My character is a sorcerer, a "wild mage" whose magic is barely under control. Sometimes when he does stuff he sets off something he didn't intend, and it might be good (turn invisible), there's a good chance it'll just be weird (turn blue), and there's a moderate chance it'll be bad (a fireball detonates, centered on you). The fireball, of course, is extremely unlikely, but last night I triggered it.

My party is only level 4, and we'd already been fighting for a while, so between our existing injuries and a few failed saves, all of us but one were knocked unconscious. And the big bad boss guy was just outside of the blast zone. Also my zombie minion survived. So we scrambled to throw around heals while the zombie minion grappled the boss. Somehow everyone is now barely conscious, dragging each other away from the battle, while the big bad end guy (hopefully) gets distracted by his big evil-magic tree, which is, on account of the fireball, totally engulfed.

Wish us luck for next week. I really like this character, I hope I didn't kill him. Or anyone else in the party.
Quote:
Wild mage is a subclass of sorcerer. Wizards, intelligence-based casters, learn their spells from books and study. Sorcerers, which are (theoretically, and probably actually) rarer, have innate magical powers, and are charisma-based. They don't develop the magical brute force that wizards do.

Sorcerers have two existing subclasses, though reportedly others are on their way: "draconic origins," meaning they have natural magical ability from dragon in their bloodline, and "wild mage," meaning they have some story-based reason for naturally-occurring raw magical power that they have not earned with study or, yet, practice. Wild mages get some extra powers *but* they also, from time to time, trigger a roll on a table that will provide some unexpected side-effect of an attempt to use magic.

Del, my sorcerer, is a half-elf wild mage, and the rest of our party is also a combination of handsome, lightly armored fellows: a ranger, a bard, and a monk. So we are going tank, and heavy-armor, free. A tanky big bag of hit points would have helped when I blew up the fireball last week, but luckily the bard survived, and he resuscitated the ranger, and the two of them had (barely) enough healing to get us all off the ground and mobile.

Tonight is our next chapter, which I will keep to myself. Unless there is any interest, in which case I will move the discussion to another thread. Thanks for your interest, Tornado!
Before tonight, I will add a word about the heroics of my zombie minion last week: First, know that there is utterly nothing special about him, stat-wise. I have a magic item that lets me check once a day to see if I can animate some dead thing, and this day I got lucky so I got to animate a zombie. Second, he was only intended to do stuff like open doors in case they were trapped. Third, in this combat, he managed to successfully grapple a *pair* of very dangerous bad guys, to keep them from getting away and to (somehow) soak their attacks while we could do the real damage.

He rolled very high on various saves and, when necessary, on the d20 to keep from dying, like zombies do. Sadly, after a couple of rounds of grappling the big bad end guy, he finally missed one of those zombie-death saves, and he perished from the face of the earth. He will be remembered fondly as the MVP of the fight, assuming we survive.
The zombie is part of being a sorceror correct? My friend is playing one on EverWinter so I am getting an understanding of them.
That is a pretty awesome and resourceful escape from peril.

In my description of Wild Mage, I state that their power usually leads to the demise of their friends. Here is the chart for Wild Magic from a mercenary ship to ship battle we ran at GC.
Spoiler Alert!
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I just wrapped up our old school D&D campaign that started a year and a half ago. They delved into the mysterious Dwimmermount, slayed the monsters, found the treasure, and made the big bad swallow some "evil jelly" with a natural 20 and a ring of telekinesis.

My daughter is planning on running the next campaign with a system she's designed herself.
So very cool. Tell me more about your daughter's system.

You two do anymore work on buildings for scape?
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Warlocks can mess with the dead, I believe. Del has a magic whistle that, after a long rest, has a 1/6 chance of recharging one use of the animate dead spell. That’s where the zombie came from.

As I wrote elsewhere, the Player’s Handbook wild magic table gives you a good chance of a good thing, a good chance of a neutral but strange thing, and a lesser but very real chance of something bad. The fireball is the worst possible outcome, and we barely survived as a level 4 party of 4.

I have an understanding with my brother, the DM, not to study the table.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaperedude View Post
My current 5e D&D campaign..... (I'm the dungeon master)

In the highly mystical, oriental campaign of Shin-Kaza (My own homebrew.....) the party has just emerged from the forsaken monastery high in the Choko mountains. There they were able to recover a number of ancient scrolls continuing music of an ancient and powerful nature. In the process of recovering these scrolls, one party member was permanently turned into a Carrion Crawler, and another was slain fighting a Blue Slaad. They now need to travel back through the underground mountain pass, and bring these scrolls to the greatest storyteller in the land. In trade for this music, they will receive one of the fabled Nine Mirrors. (They have five already.....) These mirrors are needed to stop a massive apocalypse that has been prophesied.

After that, they will travel into the spirit lands (An actual location on the map! It is a massive bamboo marshland!), where the lines between reality and the spirit realm are blurred. They are searching for a very powerful demon by the name of Fragalax. This demon has another mirror which is missing a shard. (This shard was recovered earlier by the party in the Tomb of the Scorpion King in the northern Wasakabi deserts.....)

Throughout all of this, a powerful group of psionics from the Far Kingdoms are attempting to recover the mirrors for themselves. They believe they have been chosen to save the world, and no puny group of adventures will get in their way. (This group is secretly led by a powerful demon, though this is a closely guarded secret.)

In summary, lots of ninjas, lots of spirits, and a good time.
Very cool. I love that a PC is now a Carrion Crawler.

Tell me more about the mirrors. How big are they? Appearance? Any powers by themselves?

We had a few campaigns that required acquiring skulls of power and before that, unicorn horns. Great far reaching campaign concept.

Love the rival group of psis angle. Good stuff.
So part of the feel of the campaign is simply "mysterious magic" with spirits and all sorts of stuff. These mirrors are of a decent size (About 3' by 4'), so it's not a cake walk traveling with them. They don't have any specific powers besides having the ability to essentially return the approaching apocalypse to the heavens. They tend to attract spirits and sometimes have weird quirks. (Causes a fire to grow, strange swirls in the water, causes plants near it to grow like crazy.) They are not so much like items, but more like giant keys.

Agreed. I like this type of campaign because it sets a clear powerful story, yet it allows the party some free time to explore and go where they want.

This psi group secretly controls a number of jungle kingdoms far to the south, and in a session a few weeks ago the party had to sneak through this city full of spies and ninjas. (The had to cross through the city because a huge wall blocked the opening of the pass, and the city was the only way through.) This group are also experts at training and using Wyverns!!

The world has an oriental feel, but in the far north-west there is a vast desert full of pyramids and it has a very Egyptian feel. (That's where the scorpion empire was found before it's destruction!)

H E R O S C A P E
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:28 PM

DS:

Yeah, reading through them, I do not see the effects you had as being on the list.

Check out my chart. Feel free to use any part of it.
Our list is formatted the same as the D&D list. Very similar. I really like how they have actual spells as results. We never established a huge spell book as we found spell really hard to balance.

Zombie whistle is awesome! Totally stealing that one.
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

He rolls on a chart. Until now, I've gotten a few skeletons. The zombie is new. I suspect that he has more powerful things on that table, too, but I haven's seen them yet.

= =
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:08 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I just wrapped up our old school D&D campaign that started a year and a half ago. They delved into the mysterious Dwimmermount, slayed the monsters, found the treasure, and made the big bad swallow some "evil jelly" with a natural 20 and a ring of telekinesis.

My daughter is planning on running the next campaign with a system she's designed herself.
So very cool. Tell me more about your daughter's system.

You two do anymore work on buildings for scape?
She's still working on her RPG system. I'll let you know more when I do.

As for buildings, I'll have to post an update in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Well, we were back in the saddle last night. It was pretty much just slogging our way out of the dungeon, though. We searched the nooks and crannies for a missing NPC until we found one unexplored area, populated by nasty diseased vermin.

We weren't seriously challenged in combat, but it took a little while and our monk managed to blow a save and get some nasty disease. The NPC is similarly diseased, and both are getting worse, so we are now hightailing it back to town to get everyone cured and ready for whatever is next.

= =
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Re: Familiar faces

Nice DS. Disease angle is nice. Was it a rat horde?
I was planning on using a horde of radioactive rats against a party in a futuristic game, great 'monster'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Quote:
Geez. For a guy I've never met, I've known you for a long time.
And I've met both of you. Our current campaign is on hiatus as everyone got very busy but I'm basically dming the DND equivalent of superhero team.

~Dysole, who doesn't want to go into too much detail about what she has planned as W099 is a player in the campaign
Very interesting.

Can you at least tell us what has happened thus far?
What kinds of powers do they have?
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Welcome to the lands of Agris (my own setting), torn apart by war and ancient technology, now struggling under the threat of rebellion.

The party has been trekking through the old remnants of the kingdom of Naylon. Once enlightened by technology, civil war and economic depression caused the collapse of their great empire. Religious fanaticism and honor filled the void left by a progressive idea of fusing magic and technology. But the people of Naylon refuse to quietly return to dust. Organizing themselves into loose resistance groups, they strike out against their occupiers, the Inquisition of the Light. Using an ancient war machine, they've been struggling for years to reclaim their land, and restore their dragon lord, the Firemind, to power.

After a party member lost an arm in a horrific accident, he's been struggling to find a suitable replacement. After poking around at the fortified city-state of Cog Bastion, he found a lead for a mechanical arm. The catch? They had to travel deep into resistance territory to recover the ashes of the Firemind for creating a simulacrum. Throughout the journey, they've been finding more and more clues relating to the forbidden history of the world.

On their way to the ruins of Gearworks, the old capital, they've encountered several "failed experiments", horrid abominations of flesh and metal serving to supplement the lack of the Firemind. Rifts from civil war created by the income disparity from the Naylon scientific revolution still stand, dividing rebels amongst themselves. Within a day's march to their destination, they come across an old military outpost, built across dysfunctional train tracks. Buried below lies the wreckage of the great weapon used by Naylon hundreds of years ago: Crystal Aegis, the 7th mechanized automaton.

Before they get a chance to analyze it, to their surprise, a train rolls in. It's the resistance, searching for old pieces of the mecha to wage war against the Inquisition. After a quick "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", they join forces, swearing to bring down Inquisition occupation.

Apparently mecha and robots fit pretty well into a D&D setting. Who could have guessed?
Risking the entire group to replace an arm. Love it.

Wow, that sounds like an incredibly well thought out and intriguing setting you have there!

Would love to see the stats on that mecha.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games