Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old January 15th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: Nintendo Switch

Yeah, Switch seems a bit iffy to me - just on the price side. $300 with paid online, additional, controllers in the $70+ range, and not many games out that first year to really seal the deal.

The hardware seems good - it's easily the most impressive handheld gaming device in history, by a wide margin, and the bells and whistles of fancy controllers and HD rumble and motion controls and all sorts of goodies push it into the "awesome little device" bracket. It seems like the Switch is what the Wii U was supposed to be, and should succeed where that failed.

Will it catapult them back into the Wii era of success? I don't think so. I don't think anything could. Save that one outlier, Nintendo consoles have been on a slow decline since the N64. But their handhelds division has been incredibly successful, even with the encroachment of mobile gaming - even the 3DS, which limped out of the gate, had a great turnaround and is going strong to this day. I'm actually mostly concerned that they'll end up hamstringing the handheld side of the business by hitching the console to it.

But hey, end of the day, I was happy with the Wii U and I can't imagine being disappointed with the Switch. Already have it preordered. And Zelda. I mean, have you seen Zelda? I'm essentially spending $300 to play Zelda and I don't even regret it.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'm completely sold!

I haven't purchased a Nintendo home system for myself since the N64. I own the Wii and WiiU, but both have been purchased primarily for my kids, with me playing Zeldas as they release and sobbing quietly about how all the best rpgs took up permanent residence with Sony as far as home consoles were concerned. So in a way, the most exciting thing I saw was Octopath Traveler. First because it looks amazing, but also as a watershed moment where rpgs return to a "home" Nintendo system.

Zelda looks amazing also, too, as well. In fact, the 3/3 release date has created a bit of a crisis for me. I've been looking forward to Horizon Zero Dawn for more than a year now and it comes out a mere week before a game I want even more that looks like it will scratch the EXACT same itch.

And maybe it's just me, but I kinda think I might play the heck outta ARMS. I loved Bionic Commando (the original). Dhalsim was my favorite Street Fighter character. The odds that I have fun throwing long ranged punches seems high.

All in all, not only does it seem to me that I will get plenty from the system this year, but the games that were announced give me hope about the types of releases I can expect to see in the future.

~Aldin, pre-buyingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:54 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I'm completely sold!

I haven't purchased a Nintendo home system for myself since the N64. I own the Wii and WiiU, but both have been purchased primarily for my kids, with me playing Zeldas as they release and sobbing quietly about how all the best rpgs took up permanent residence with Sony as far as home consoles were concerned. So in a way, the most exciting thing I saw was Octopath Traveler. First because it looks amazing, but also as a watershed moment where rpgs return to a "home" Nintendo system.

Zelda looks amazing also, too, as well. In fact, the 3/3 release date has created a bit of a crisis for me. I've been looking forward to Horizon Zero Dawn for more than a year now and it comes out a mere week before a game I want even more that looks like it will scratch the EXACT same itch.

And maybe it's just me, but I kinda think I might play the heck outta ARMS. I loved Bionic Commando (the original). Dhalsim was my favorite Street Fighter character. The odds that I have fun throwing long ranged punches seems high.

All in all, not only does it seem to me that I will get plenty from the system this year, but the games that were announced give me hope about the types of releases I can expect to see in the future.

~Aldin, pre-buyingly
I hope that most folks out there are as enthusiastic as you Aldin. I know that I have been a bit of a Debbie Downer about it and I'm tryin' to get over it. I have owned every Nintendo home console. The only Nintendo products that I have not owned are the portable systems. I have always been a bit of a Nintendo fanboy I suppose. So I really hope that I am surprised and this system really catches on. I also hope that it is indeed the return of the JRPG to a Nintendo home console.

Bionic Commando was awesome but hard. It was one of the few games back then that I never beat. I'm iffy on Arms, as Guile was my guy in Street Fighter My boy, on the other hand, most definitely does want Arms, so I'm sure I'll end up with it at some point.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@johnny139
See my post. The market price for a 32GB tablet in the 'mini' form factor IS $300, whether Samsung or Apple. So, this device is literally a gaming-optimized tablet, and priced in direct competition with those others.
@keglo
The real thing that would prove that (other than the fact that Xenoblade 2 will probably be awesome), would be Square putting FFXV an FFVII on it.

Honestly, with Cloud in Smash Bros. I was quite surprised that FFVII wasn't announced for Switch last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:49 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
@johnny139
See my post. The market price for a 32GB tablet in the 'mini' form factor IS $300, whether Samsung or Apple. So, this device is literally a gaming-optimized tablet, and priced in direct competition with those others.
@keglo
The real thing that would prove that (other than the fact that Xenoblade 2 will probably be awesome), would be Square putting FFXV an FFVII on it.

Honestly, with Cloud in Smash Bros. I was quite surprised that FFVII wasn't announced for Switch last week.
That announcement would have been awesome and would have made me relax a little. All of Nintendos problems started back in the N64 days when they lost Square as a developer, among many others. All because Nintendo decided that they would be different. Different can be good, but they went too far, and they needed those developers.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:00 PM

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow, Nintendo bought a Super Bowl ad for the first time ever:
^30s version that will actually air during the game
^102s version to air elsewhere? Maybe just on Youtube?

At least people will know what the Switch is this time, unlike the Wii U

Although I wish they had showed off a little bit of the motion control stuff in the actual spot. That might have resonated better with the Wii owners who only played Wii Sports.

Quote:
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Wow, Nintendo bought a Super Bowl ad for the first time ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDkrkykvZs
^30s version that will actually air during the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g
^102s version to air elsewhere? Maybe just on Youtube?

At least people will know what the Switch is this time, unlike the Wii U

Although I wish they had showed off a little bit of the motion control stuff in the actual spot. That might have resonated better with the Wii owners who only played Wii Sports.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I really hope it is successful. Also a cool song. Who is it?

Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Oh boy, I will certainly watch the Superbowl now.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:19 PM

Zelda's out tomorrow.
I'll be playing it on my trusty Wii U. Anyone buying the Switch?

Quote:
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:48 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I'll grab Zelda and the Switch tonight. Going to be a pretty great weekend.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:47 PM

Justin The Critic is surprisingly tart

I bought a Wii U a year and a half two years ago and only use it to play Smash Bros and Mario Kart. I'm very interested in Zelda Breath of the wild to be my first Zelda game but the Switch is coming out on the 3rd and Mass Effect Andromeda is released on the 21st. Mass Effect is my favorite game franchise so I'm not going to spend $400 on a Switch with Zelda when a new Mass Effect comes out a few weeks later. I will get a Switch but will wait for a sale or until they release a bundle with a pack in game.

If you can accept losing, you can't win -
Vince Lombardi
Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:00 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Got my Switch, got my Breath of the Wild! Now I need to find some time to actually play them...

~Aldin, with work today and a performance tomorrow

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games