Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old October 21st, 2016, 05:12 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Nintendo Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
Leaks and speculation say that it'll be (roughly) as powerful as an Xbox One. Which is behind the curve for sure but serviceable, I think.
Serviceable you say? If it was anywhere close to the Xbox One I would be ecstatic.

I have not heard that rumor but I certainly hope that it is true. I am not someone that has to have the absolute best in graphics capabilities. That is why I am not excited for the PS Neo or the Xbox Scorpio. I mean, how real do we need our games to look? My biggest concern with the NS being underpowered is that they lose developers and AAA games. If a new Battlefield or Call of Duty, etc., comes out, I want to be able to play it on my NS.

Hopefully Nintendo will answer some of our questions soon.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:58 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ugh, it seems like it won't have 2-screen capabilities, which means direct ports of Wii U games are impossible, as are DS games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:08 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Well if this article is accurate, then my previously stated hope that the NS would play 3DS games has been curb-stomped.

Quote:
"Nintendo might have crushed some fans' dreams with its Famitsu interview. The company told the popular Japanese gaming magazine that its upcoming hybrid console won't be able to play Wii U discs or 3DS cartridges. It's unclear if the Switch won't be able to run digital games either, but if you were hoping to play your favorite 3DS titles on a 50-inch screen just for the heck of it, you may want to temper your expectations."
This is a real bummer to me, as our Wii U gamepad is broken and I was really hoping to be able to play Wii U games like Super Smash Bros. on the NS, as well as try out some 3DS games.

EDIT: Doh! I just noticed your post above mine Nukatha, pretty much saying the same thing that I did. Sorry!
-
-
-

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; October 22nd, 2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:02 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

It's an interesting concept. I would very much like to try it, but I'm not tempted to buy it at launch. The graphics look at least one generation old in the demo, so it still feels like Nintendo isn't even trying to capture the "serious" console gamer market. The half controller idea is really interesting, both for the split full controller thing and the Super Nintendo half controllers. There are some cool possibilities. I do worry that there will likely be two categories of games. The full controller titles and the multiplayer Super Nintendo-esque titles. I could see one or the other (or both) ending up being lackluster because the platform isn't fully one or the other. If they nail it, this could be a big hit.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
It's an interesting concept. I would very much like to try it, but I'm not tempted to buy it at launch. The graphics look at least one generation old in the demo, so it still feels like Nintendo isn't even trying to capture the "serious" console gamer market. The half controller idea is really interesting, both for the split full controller thing and the Super Nintendo half controllers. There are some cool possibilities. I do worry that there will likely be two categories of games. The full controller titles and the multiplayer Super Nintendo-esque titles. I could see one or the other (or both) ending up being lackluster because the platform isn't fully one or the other. If they nail it, this could be a big hit.
Yep. It's not that I even need those extra graphics but the developers do. Without them we won't get many of those big, juicy, AAA titles that are released on PS4 and Xbox.

We'll just have to wait until Nintendo quits playing with us and lets us know of it's capabilities.

Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:15 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I've been playing video games since I got my first Amstrad, and every single time someone menitions graphics I say: image quality is for films, games are for fun.

Same goes with board games, if you like expensive detailed minis play Warhammer. I'll stick to Heroscape.
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My thoughts on the recent Switch press release:
If Nintendo markets this right, it'll sell, but that's a big 'if'.
Apple's iPad mini 4 is $400 for a 32GB device ($500 for 128gb). The older, less compatible iPad mini 2 is $269 for a wi-fi only, 32GB device.
iPad Air 2 is $399 for the 32 GB version.

(iPad 'Pro' is obviously way more expensive, even though it also comes in a 32gb model).

Nintendo Switch is a 6.2 inch, 720p screen presumably more durable than an iPad screen, since Nintendo likes their stuff being 'droppable'.
So, I suppose the most comparable apple product is the iPad mini line (which, again, starts at $399 for the most recent model).

Samsung's competition to the form factor is the 'Galaxy S2', which starts at $299 for a 32GB system.

There's a huge market out there for kids. Kids want handhelds that can play Minecraft. The Switch plays Minecraft. Given that even the 3DS got ports of mobile games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope, I'll bet that the Switch will see its fair share of those mobile-esque games. Nintendo's already committed itself to easy-to-use parental controls that would prevent childrenses from buying stuff from the Switch's eShop without parental approval.

Also, very few tablet games are multiplayer, yet along comes the Switch. Two kids can play on a Switch with the Joycons right out of the box, so you only need to get your kids one.
I'll bet the Switch is also the usual Netflix/Youtube/Web Browser/Hulu/Amazon Video box as well, which are features that most tablets have now, and are probably expected by parents.

So, parent decides to cave in and get her kids a device for Minecraft, sick of said kid constantly asking her for her facebook machine. She sees the various options, and if Nintendo really puts itself out there, I think the Switch has a very good chance of being the device she chooses. Also, with Mario Kart out so close to launch, it will be a huge help in selling systems. If Game Freak announces 'Pokemon Stars' for the Switch to be out by Christmas, it'll sell to the kids, I guarantee it. Super Mario Odyssey won't hurt things either, but even though Galaxy sold well, it didn't drive the Wii's sales. Another possible seller is Splatoon, if Nintendo is really as committed as they seem to be to host official events all over the world.

The other market, IE: individuals who are no longer children, I don't actually know. Are Skyrim and Zelda enough to sell the Switch like hotcakes? Having EA's support at the moment might win over people who want a new version of Madden or FIFA. Now, if Nintendo gets Battlefield and CoD, it might just see more use.

Bottom line for me: Even though I don't see the Switch as solely a 'kids toy', that's exactly what Nintendo has to market it as. Whether the Switch sells 5, 10, or 100 million units, most of those will be to kids. Historically, it is their biggest demographic, and nowadays, Nintendo has been around long enough that parents with young kids were probably exposed to Nintendo in the past. If they spend the money on a HUGE ad campaign, like a Super Bowl Ad, Billboards, youtube ads, subway posters, demo stations in theme parks/malls, demo consoles in as many stores as possible, ads on local and cable TV, it will sell. At least there won't be any name confusion like the Wii U. Its Nintendo's game to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:39 PM

Thanks for your thoughts @Nukatha

My thoughts I just copy and pasted from my post on another forum.

Referring to the Japanese presentation on the 12th:

I am pretty bummed to tell you the truth. I was pretty excited about the system until I watched the big reveal last night. I stayed up late to watch it live and I was just completely underwhelmed and disappointed.

When it ended, I was like, "Really? That's it?" Everything is too expensive, hardly any games at launch, still no system specs. And they want us to pay for their online service? They are notoriously horrible at doing online. And unless they've made a HUGE improvement, now we'll have to pay for that ****ty service.

And they really want to sell us on those controllers, don't they?! Just like with the Wii and Wii U. I thought they said that this wasn't just the predecessor to the Wii U? That is was something totally new. Yeah right. It totally is the Wii U2.

I have always loved and defended Nintendo, but this? I had been reading about how Nintendo realized that they blew it with the Wii U and they were not going to make the same mistakes again, and then I see last night's pathetic presentation. At the very least I thought that they would make sure that they had a ton of launch titles but, no, we get next nothing. Far less than any other system launch in history, as far as I know.

I suppose the new Zelda game will require us to use those damned motion controls yet again too?

Sorry for the rant, just very disappointed right now.

Old January 14th, 2017, 08:21 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I am kind of sorry i bought the wii. My five year old plays skylanders on the ps3 and ps4. I dont even know if she knows that it plays games. Get a ps4. Youll love it. U know i do.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ah yes, good ol' Nintendo--failing at understanding basic supply and demand for ten years now. It doesn't matter how much they continuously disappoint, they know their fans will buy the console anyway once it has a Smash release on it.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 14th, 2017, 09:10 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!
Random Thoughts

Not sure on what's going to happen with the Switch, but I'm pretty sure Breath of the Wild will be driving almost all the initial sales. That said, the biggest driving force behind Nintendo, in my opinion, is the fact that they're their own exclusives. You can't get Mario, Smash, Zelda, etc on other consoles. Either it's going to sell like wild, or survive on the back of their beloved franchises.

And I'm just disappointed with Fire Emblem Warriors. Exactly what the series isn't known for.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old January 14th, 2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I am kind of sorry i bought the wii. My five year old plays skylanders on the ps3 and ps4. I dont even know if she knows that it plays games. Get a ps4. Youll love it. U know i do.
I actually have a PS4, or my boy does, anyway. I have barely touched it, to be honest. I actually got much more enjoyment out of the WiiU then I did with the Xbox 360 or PS4. I just really like playing those Nintendo exclusives with my kids. Super Smash Bros., Mario WiiU, Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.

That is the reason that I wanted the NS to be successful with great 3rd party support. I doubt if that is going to happen with what they have presented to us. I really doubt that Nintendo's home console division will survive another failure either. We'll have to wait and see I guess. I truly hope that they pull it off.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games