Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:44 AM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
New Crazy Tactics...

When you play heroscape over and over again with the same group, certain strategies and patterns emerge. Certain units get drafted consistently, while others gather dust. It can get (dare I say?) rather boring...

Can anyone formulate any new strategies and armies using rarely seen units or crazy new tactics?

Perhaps an Eldgrim-centric army, where the entire focus of the army is to "pump up" (Finn, Thorgrim, Raelin, etc.) and protect him? Add in the MacDirks (with eldgrim as their champion), and you've got a fun, if not particularly successful, army.

Or perhaps an army composed entirely of monks or swogs! Or an only flagbearer army!

Any thoughts?

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:14 AM

philowar is surprisingly tart
Re: New Crazy Tactics...

I think it's up to individual players to force themselves to use different, non-favorite figures, otherwise it's always the same. I for one could play the knights and MacDirk or Marcus and the Greeks in just about every game and probably not get sick of it (though my opponent would), as they are at the top of my favorites list. Lately, I've been forcing myself to use different combos however, even if I know I'm going to get my butt kicked. For example, instead of using the knights with MacDirk the other night I used the knights with Concan. Yeah, not having bonding really sucks (spending a turn just to move Concan next to the knights to give them a +1), but have to try new things, I guess. To be honest though, certain figures (like the Krav or robots or dumb ones like the Nikita) just don't appeal to me and if I had to pick them I'd probably find myself not enjoying the game.

Another thing that can be done is to limit the amount of munchkin power gaming going on. Yeah, everyone knows that the deadliest combo is Raelin + Q9, etc, but stop playing the game to have the biggest and baddest army for a second and do something new. For example, for the past few days we've been drafting armies that adhere to the HS backstory and it's a refreshing change. No more Taelord + 4th Mass, or what have you. We've split the troops along the supposed Jandar/Ullar and Utgar/Vydar/Einar alliances, so if you want a Jandar figure in your army, you can only choose other Jandar or Ullar to go with him. This limits the more brutal combinations too, like Marcus with 4th Mass or the afforementioned Raelin & Q9, and in my experience makes Heroscape a much more balanced game.

Apart from this, make a pile of the suckiest figures in the game and take turns drafting from it.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:35 AM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Many units are great but people just forget about them. For example Brunak is often underated and his special attack gets through many abilities. With 6 movement, 4 defense and a potentially huge attack the Anubian wolves can be awesome. For only 200 points one can field 12 marro drones and can get up to 9! attacks in a single turn. Heck with 7 defense and 7 range the Zettian guards can dominate sometimes. In my experiences people just tend to fall in the habit of choosing th esame pieces over and well while other incredibly good pieces sit to the side
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker
Re: New Crazy Tactics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorbilbo
When you play heroscape over and over again with the same group, certain strategies and patterns emerge. Certain units get drafted consistently, while others gather dust. It can get (dare I say?) rather boring...

Can anyone formulate any new strategies and armies using rarely seen units or crazy new tactics?

Perhaps an Eldgrim-centric army, where the entire focus of the army is to "pump up" (Finn, Thorgrim, Raelin, etc.) and protect him? Add in the MacDirks (with eldgrim as their champion), and you've got a fun, if not particularly successful, army.

Or perhaps an army composed entirely of monks or swogs! Or an only flagbearer army!

Any thoughts?
Try drafting your opponent's army...

You'd definitely use pieces that have been collecting dust!

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
Another cool way to change things up (besides keeping to Generals) is to do a random draw: Preapprove a set of cards that you all agree on (or just use them all) and draw two or three of the cards randomly into your army. Allow a draft for the remainder to 500 points (or whatever). This really changes things up and you end up having a lot of fun with armies that you would never have thought possible. (it's always fun to draw a really bad combo like Saylind and Theracus or whatever). It is a fun exercise: we chose it once and I ended up playing McDirk warrors with no human champions. It was interesting and challenging.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1
Another cool way to change things up (besides keeping to Generals) is to do a random draw: Preapprove a set of cards that you all agree on (or just use them all) and draw two or three of the cards randomly into your army. Allow a draft for the remainder to 500 points (or whatever). This really changes things up and you end up having a lot of fun with armies that you would never have thought possible. (it's always fun to draw a really bad combo like Saylind and Theracus or whatever). It is a fun exercise: we chose it once and I ended up playing McDirk warrors with no human champions. It was interesting and challenging.
Two questions:

1. Why is Saylind and Theracus a bad combo?

2. If you were allowed to finish the draft up to 500 points, why wouldn't you grab a human champion?
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Bad combo as in deadly, not a cruddy combo.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
One of the main ways our group combats strategy boredom is to modify the rules/victory conditions for each game. By changing things up, people have to change their strategy if they want to win. Here are some examples:
1) 'X' marker is a wildcard that can replace any other marker.
2) Only one marker per card per round.
3) Melee only.
4) Fog on an area of the map so you can't shoot into or out of that area.
5) King of the Hill scenario.
6) Capture the glyph scenario where you have to bring the glyphs back to your starting zone.
7) Draft your opponent's army.
8) Random draft.
9) Random (and hidden) objectives.
10) Ambush scenario.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntCompute
One of the main ways our group combats strategy boredom is to modify the rules/victory conditions for each game. By changing things up, people have to change their strategy if they want to win. Here are some examples:
1) 'X' marker is a wildcard that can replace any other marker.
2) Only one marker per card per round.
3) Melee only.
4) Fog on an area of the map so you can't shoot into or out of that area.
5) King of the Hill scenario.
6) Capture the glyph scenario where you have to bring the glyphs back to your starting zone.
Random draft.
9) Random (and hidden) objectives.
10) Ambush scenario.
Uh... how does #7 work?
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntCompute

Uh... how does #7 work?
I believe you choose your opponent's army, and vice-versa.

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
Mad Hatter, SWITCH PLACES!!!
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation
This was mentioned before, but there are enough army cards out now to make General specific armies viable. And is it just me, or do you think Jandar gets jealous seeing Raelin join up with every single army in Valhalla?

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion