Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old June 18th, 2019, 08:29 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

After proxying a bunch of c3v units as of late, these are definitely up there on the list of units I legitemately just do not enjoy playing against (along with deathreavers and Q9), for basically the exact same reason I don't like playing those other units: they are just too good.

I think 4 defense is sort of that magic number where they become difficult to kill with most range units. They are solid hitters in melee. You don't want to engage them, but they will kill you anyways whether you engage them or not.

I honestly find them to be quite similar to arkmer. They have solid defense, hit solid on the offense, and they are annoying to engage. The difference is that this is a common squad of 4 for only 25 points more.

I consider Arkmer as a solid unit, which sort of makes these guys God-Tier along rats and Q9. The only thing that can deal with them is range, but draft some phantom knights or krav with these guys and you have yourself a nearly unbeatable force.

Seriously, name 150 points of any other melee squad, and I promise that two squads of these guys will win 10/10 times. Even other anti-melee squad like WoA **barely**stand a fighting chance.
Old June 19th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby!

Yup. We recently had a melee themed tournament here in the midwest and the Cathar Spearmen were virtually unbeatable. And even in a standard format, they're still extremely stout. Definitely an 'A' unit, and I think you could easily argue 'A+' (as you eloquently did). Right up there with rats and Q9 in that tier of units that are probably OP if you ask me.
Old June 19th, 2019, 10:25 AM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Personally I don't like Impale and how it provides the bonus for attacking non-adjacent figures. I feel like it was a missed opportunity to make it the opposite and give an additional attack die for adjacent targets. This would have made gameplay more interesting of giving up engagement strike for aggressive action. This would have provided a little more vulnerability to them as well.
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:18 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Personally I don't like Impale and how it provides the bonus for attacking non-adjacent figures. I feel like it was a missed opportunity to make it the opposite and give an additional attack die for adjacent targets. This would have made gameplay more interesting of giving up engagement strike for aggressive action. This would have provided a little more vulnerability to them as well.
Great point. If impale only worked against adjacent units, it would at least put them at a little bit of risk of counter strike and some other such specials
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
You're going to force me to make actually interesting choices? How dare you, I didn't come here to think.
Old June 19th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

They are quite strong on the power curve. And I would expect them to be dominant at a melee-only event. But I like the challenge of Impale. My 2c.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 19th, 2019, 10:18 PM

meanpie is surprisingly tart

Funny, I've always felt like they were a bit overrated in the Power Rankings. They've never been overly dominate in all the games I've played with or against them. In my experience Braced Spear just never works quite often enough to elevate them to an 'A' rating. When I play with them everyone seems to play like they assume Braced Spear isn't actually going to work often enough to make a difference.

Heroscape 4 Life
Old June 19th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I think the way it's implemented is very thematic... it just feels right to me. A pike as a weapon would be very awkward in close combat, so it makes sense to have the ranged attack boost. You do make a solid point about a more interesting decision when attacking though.

I like how much these guys drip with theme. I will say, I think they could have been priced a bit higher, but I wouldn't change anything other than that.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old June 19th, 2019, 11:03 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like it just the way it is. You move up and att. your opponent's melee figure from 2 spaces away, then when they try to engage you get a chance for an auto-wound. Makes sense to me.
Old June 19th, 2019, 11:49 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I agree that Impale is more thematic if it only works on non-adjacent figures, and I think that it also makes these guys play more uniquely than other melee squads. Even if it was flipped to be a melee attack boost, it wouldn't change my strategy enough to feel like the thematic sacrifice is worthwhile.

Honestly, I think that the price is the only thing that I would adjust here. Even as it currently is, I don't think they're nearly on the level of Raelin/Q9/Deathreavers, though.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I guess my thing with the Cathar is that, while they fit the theme well, they fundamentally aren't melee units. They're two-range units.

Let's pretend for a moment that they straight-up just didn't have the Impale ability. They still have their stats, Braced Spears, and Reach. This set of powers means that they generally* want to attack from one space away, as it gives them the possibility of Braced Spears.
*barring more specific positioning decisions

Now that we've established that, let's reintroduce Impale. It rewards them for doing what they already want to do: attack from one space away.

Now let's imagine that Impale works for adjacent instead of non-adjacent figures. You then have to make a real choice: engage or stay one space away. With a base attack value of only two, you'd be forced to implement both of these choices throughout the game, making for highly tactical decisions. Do I give up Braced Spears to roll an extra die? Or am I better off not rolling the extra die and keeping Braced Spears active while staying a space away? It would mean they would have to make real choices, and it would also mean that they are not just a two-range unit: instead, they would have reasons to either engage or not engage.

May the theme suffer because of this? Sure, but gameplay should always trump fluff. Ideally, they can both be implemented; however, if one has to be sacrificed, I would argue it should be fluff. I think it's bad design to reward a unit for doing what it already wants to do, rather than forcing the player to make interesting and engaging choices with it. That's my two cents on the Cathar.
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:37 AM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree with all the comments about theme, but @OrcElfArmyOne nails my thoughts exactly.

The Cathar are an interesting squad. I just wish Impale worked differently. It's like giving a samurai squad Melee Defense.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs