Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker
Re: 4th Edition D&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris1287 View Post
I actually started a D&D adventure about 3 weeks ago using the Keep on the Shadowfell. It was actually funny. My friends and I were playing heroscape and I'd be talking about the D&D aspect of heroscape and then alluva sudden one of the players just blurted out, "Why don't we start a D&D group?" Myself, and everyone else at the table, immediately agreed with the idea. I was elected as the DM. My only experience with Table Top D&D is with my previous D&D group and they were veterans but had recently gotten 4th edition, so obviously I don't know what I'm missing, everyone I talk to says 4th edition is terrible, but I like it just fine. I've played D&D on the computer, Baldur's Gate 1&2 +xpac. Icewind Dale 1&2. Temple of Elemental Evil by Atari. Anyone got any tips to pass along? I've been adding my own personal quests, and characters into the game, also giving the party an enchanted Item here or there.
What books and accessories (I.e. Combat grids, miniature, etc.) do you have?
Since we just started I don't have a lot. I'm using the core books, Players Handbook, Dungeon masters guide, monster manual vol. 1, and the Keep of the Shadowfell, along with the maps. I have also bought 2 dungeon tile expansions that I use for dungeons/buildings that I can't use the maps for. In the ways of D&D minis. Well, I've just been using heroscape figs for the PCs, and the important characters. I know they are a bit bulky, but the players don't seem to mind. I use the wound markers as minions, and order markers for the tougher monsters. Almost forgot, I have access to D&D insider, which gives me the D&D compendium, D&D character builder, and D&D adventure tools.
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM

ragingphoenix Woo who?
Re: 4th Edition D&D Influenced by Heroscape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
I got the 4th PHB on Friday on a whim (Penny-Arcade's podcast about it got me excited) and it looks pretty cool. I don't know about it being based off Heroscape, but it certainly tweaks the same places in my brain.

If I end up getting all three books heI'll see if I can run it on Heroscape hexes with Heroscape figures.
You can No Problem.

If it's just friendly competition,why is my opponent on the floor crying?
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:29 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: 4th Edition D&D Influenced by Heroscape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingphoenix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
I got the 4th PHB on Friday on a whim (Penny-Arcade's podcast about it got me excited) and it looks pretty cool. I don't know about it being based off Heroscape, but it certainly tweaks the same places in my brain.

If I end up getting all three books heI'll see if I can run it on Heroscape hexes with Heroscape figures.
You can No Problem.
Yeah, you can and I have at this point. It's very fun, and adds an awesome sense of scale and largeness to outdoor encounters.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I had thought about using heroscape pieces, but then I thought about how much time it would take to build a new map every time. Though my party is just about to enter the Spider's Cave, so I might use some dungeon hexes for that encounter just to see how it works out.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!

If you aren't looking for a very specific map build, you can cobble together something quite usable in just a few minutes.

Old July 25th, 2010, 11:25 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Don't get bogged down on grids and figures and all that. Once you get the hang of it, running an abstract combat works so much more quickly. We had one guy in our 4e group who insisted on using grids and all those shenanigans and it just took FOREVER. When we play now, it's about 90% in our heads and only 10% on paper. We'll have a basic outline of what the area looks like and a general idea of where our characters are and where the enemy is. All it takes is saying something like "I want to move so that I'm adjacent to the goblin and flanking the orc."

Edit-
Of course if you like it like that, and you prefer 4e for the tactical TBS feel, absolutely use grids. It's just that most of us here at CNU find combat to be the most boring part of D&D.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death! Taeblewalker is hot lava death!

Even though D&D originated from minis games with grids, I recall always playing combats completely in our heads - only using minis to show "marching order." We often just used dice for minis.

Old July 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Even though D&D originated from minis games with grids, I recall always playing combats completely in our heads - only using minis to show "marching order." We often just used dice for minis.
That and I can never get a mini to look the way I want my character to look and it would drive me insane to have to look at a horrible proxy.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog View Post
Quote:
That and I can never get a mini to look the way I want my character to look and it would drive me insane to have to look at a horrible proxy.
I thought you hated 4e.
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought you hated 4e.
I'm just warming up to it myself.

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought you hated 4e.
I'm just warming up to it myself.
for not having experienced any other D&D editions (outside of computer games) I like 4th edition just fine! I keep hearing my friends talk about 3.5 and pathfinder and the one thing they always point out is all the of the calculations that take place when they are in combat.
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

The couple of times I've DMed 4e we've never used minis. It's easier to do it in your head, I think.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
Mark Twain

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games