Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old February 7th, 2007, 02:38 AM

cyberia has disabled reputation
Dungeon Keeper 'Scape (Build-as-you-play)

Who here remembers that great computer game Dungeon Keeper? It was a top-down sim of a fantasy dungeon where your cursor was a hand that could pick up your imps and slap them around to make them work faster. Hilarious and addictive, but it had been a while since I'd even thought about it, until the other day after a game of HS when my friend brought up the idea of the "build as you play" battlefield. It got me to thinking... a dangerous pastime indeed. Anyway, without further ado other than the caveat that this hasn't even been playtested yet, here are my ideas for Dungeon Keeper 'Scape (v0.2):

<<<>>>

Setup: players place their starting caverns spaced equally around the edges of the table, seperated by strings of ice or molten lava tiles as place markers (to prevent shifting) which may be replaced as the game progresses. Starting areas may be smaller or larger as space permits, but typically will be from seven to 24 hexes. At various points between the starting areas may be placed other small caverns containing glyphs, monsters, or other special items held in position by ice or lava. Large or small areas of water may also be placed. The remaining empty spaces are to be treated as though they were filled with solid rock - no shooting, flying, etc. over empty spaces.
Scenarios:
King of the Hill, Steal the Bacon, etc.: A 7-hex tile is laid in the center of the table. In the center of this a single-hex column two or three tiles high is placed, upon which the Glyph of Brandar is placed to represent the Heart of the Dungeon. To win, control the Heart for X rounds, or steal the Heart and carry it to your starting point X times.
One-on-one or two-on-two battles: Each player/team has a Dungeon Heart that they must protect. The game is won by destroying the enemy's Heart. The Hearts have a defense of 5 and 10 life.

Players draft 600-800 point armies, but begin the game with one squad and one hero. Snow tiles are placed beneath each figure to represent their "Lair" hexes. To place additional figures, more Lair hexes must be created. Only squad members may create Lairs (see Squad Abilities, below).
Once a player has unclaimed Lair hexes (more Lair than their army-in-play could cover), they may roll d20 at the beginning of the round. To this roll is added the number of unclaimed Lair spaces. The result is checked against the following table:

Army Placement Table
Roll: Result
1-10= No figure placed this round
11= Squad member(s) up to 20 points
12= Squad member(s) up to 40 points
13= Squad member(s) up to 60 points
14= Squad member(s) up to 80 points
15= Squad member(s) up to 100 points
16= Any Squad
17= Hero up to 50 points
18= Hero up to 100 points
19= Hero up to 150 points
20= Any Hero

Double-spaced figures require two adjacent lair hexes.

Special Rooms
At least three hexes must connect to create a room. A squad figure may then spend a turn making that space into a particular type of room. The intersection of three like room hexes is the usable room space where a figure using the room will stand. Thus, three hexes create one usable space, four (properly arranged) create two, five = three, six = four, and seven in a filled circle makes six usable spaces.
*Library: Glyphs must be placed in a library to take effect. Each glyph may be activated/deactivated at the beginning of each round at will without placing a figure on it.
*Workshop: Heroes may use the workshop to create traps. Squad members may use it to create doors.
*Prison: Captured enemies placed in a Prison are slowly "reformed" over the course of three rounds, after which they are under the control of the Prison's owner. (Army cards may have to be shared as a result of splitting up squads).

Special rules:

Ranged attacks must travel in a straight line - no shooting around corners! Use string if necessary.

The X marker may be used as an additional turn at any point of the round (e.g., 1-X-2-3)

To speed play, initial rounds may be played simultaneously by all players. Normal turn-taking should resume when opposing forces collide.

Destroyed figures are placed back in their owner's reserve pool to be re-deployed later.

Ability Summary:
Squads have the following abilities:
*Create Lair: No move, no attack. Lair is placed under figure.
*Dig: Roll attack dice based on Move: resulting shields are the number of hexes that may be laid. The figure then moves as normal, and may move into empty spaces (digging out the rock there), laying new terrain hexes as they go. The figure may then attack as normal.
*Fortify: No move, no attack. All edges of hex occupied by figure that border empty space receive castle battlements. Fortifications may not be removed by digging.
*Create Library: No attack. Library marker is placed under figure.
*Create Workshop: No attack. Workshop marker is placed under figure.
*Create Door: No attack. Figure must end movement in a workshop. Three figure-turns must be spent building the door (one figure for three rounds, two for two, or three for one round). Once created, any hero or large squad member or any two medium or small squad members may carry the door and install it between any two hexes. Doors may be opened or closed freely by any friendly figure. Opposing figures may either attempt to force the door open (roll of 20) or to destroy it by attacking. Doors have a defense of 2 and 5 life.

Heroes have the following abilities:
*Destroy Fortifications: No attack. All fortifications attached to occupied hex are removed.
*Create Trap: No attack. The hero must end it's move in a Workshop. It then rolls for a normal attack. The number of skulls rolled is the strength of the trap. A number of markers equal to the trap strength is
placed on the hero's base. The hero may then (on a subsequent turn) place the trap on an adjacent hex. If an enemy figure enters this hex, the trap is sprung. Roll dice equal to the trap strength. Resulting skulls are unblockable hits.
*Capture Opponent: No attack. Target must be equal size or smaller. Roll d20: a 16 or higher captures a squad member, a 19 or 20 captures a hero. Place figure on capturing hero's army card. Captured figure may attempt to escape at beginning of each round (no activation necessary): a roll of 19 or 20 allows them to escape and move up to one-half their movement.
*Carry Glyph: No attack. Hero must end movement on a glyph to pick it up. Hero may hand glyph to an active hero without being activated itself.

<<<>>>

Do what you like with this, and if I see interest I'll keep you informed on the evolution of this project...
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:07 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Dungeon Keeper 'Scape

Dungeon keeper was a pretty funny game, the little I played it. I like the concept you're working on here. I'd give it a go if I didn't have to already cajole people into playing 'scape with me.

Also, is this a bit of a Beauty and the Beast quote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberia
It got me to thinking... a dangerous pastime indeed.
Gaston: Lafou I'm afraid I've been thinking -
Lafou: A dangerous pastime
Gaston: - I know! That crazy old coot is Belle's father, and his sanity's only so-so...

If it wasn't, just ignore the crazy person here...
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:16 AM

cyberia has disabled reputation
Re: Dungeon Keeper 'Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
Dungeon keeper was a pretty funny game, the little I played it. I like the concept you're working on here. I'd give it a go if I didn't have to already cajole people into playing 'scape with me.

Also, is this a bit of a Beauty and the Beast quote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberia
It got me to thinking... a dangerous pastime indeed.
Gaston: Lafou I'm afraid I've been thinking -
Lafou: A dangerous pastime
Gaston: - I know! That crazy old coot is Belle's father, and his sanity's only so-so...

If it wasn't, just ignore the crazy person here...
You caught me I hear you about getting people to play, too. I don't actually own any HS stuff (yet), so I have to get my friend who has two of everything to get off his @$$ to play every couple of weeks... which is the only reason this hasn't been play-tested yet
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
That sounds very cool. Very well thought out. I like how you could build and destroy fortifications. Good Job.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions