Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of the Fen Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I haven't tried Raelin/Kelda/Ornak/Hydras, but I have tried Raelin/Kelda/Hydras.

My first round OM's went like this:

1 - Raelin. Fly her out to a perch in position.

2 - Kelda. If Raelin got shot after OM#1, heal her. Also get into position.

3 - Hydra. Move up, stare ominously, and bite at the air.

I could also see switching around #1 and #3 there, especially if, after you move the Hydra up first turn, it's still in Raelin's aura. Either way, I like Kelda with the #2 or #3 that round to do some immediate healing if your figures take wounds getting into position.

The next round depends on what the opponent is doing and the map, but if you can load up on the Hydra they'll be in some trouble. During the game, I found myself going 1,2,X - Hydra and 3 - Kelda a lot. That was my plan until the first Hydra died. Problem was it never did.
How 'bout a Raelin/Kelda/Anna/Hydra? That way the healers can heal each other. Plus Anna gives you some range and undead defense!
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeProctor View Post
ElvenEnvy, I disagree with your Taelord comment "only have to worry about 1 figure staying within the aura". That's the beauty of Raelin versus Taelord (not just in this instance but in just about every one with any other figure). The difference of having a longer leash (4 or 6 vs 1), not to mention costing half the points, is what makes Rae the better cheerleader here. The hydra needs some maneuverability to attack the max number of figures.

It's the Hydra's defense that needs the increase, to keep it's already fearsome attack at it's fullest. It doesn't really need any help in in offense department!
Taelord has a range of 4 with his aura. Props to ElvenEnvy, I hadn't really thought about Hydra x Taelord.

However, I agree that the Hydra's defense needs more help than it's offense. 6 defense sounds great on paper, but I whiffed more than I had hoped. Raelin definitely helps, but she makes the OMs difficult against range.

I've found the Hydra to be really good against melee (duh). The reach ability means you can force your opponent (in my battle, the Greenroller) to come to you.

All things considered, the Hydra is a fun figure that requires careful OM management, but could potentially win the game (with a little luck).
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:24 AM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Maybe Taelord isn't the best unit for The Hydra, but the Hydra is definitely the best unit for Taelord I've found.

Besides whose to say you can't also throw Raelin or Kelda into the combo.

I just find that 4 attacks of 5 can so decimate opponents that they don't get their full attack. Even so when the Hydra is down one life he has 3 attacks of 5, still nothing to sneer at.

I will say that the Taelord/Hydra combo is weaker against ranged, but if you fill out the rest of your army with that in mind it's not a huge deal.
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:59 AM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

I just finished playing great game using:

Hydrax2
Ornak
Brunak
Ratsx3
Marcu

600 points

Hydras worked great attacking over rats tying people up. Worked great killing WoA from one space away so they didnt get there defensive special. Lots of fun and a landslide victory for the Hydras!
Dustin
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

The Hydra is an absolute beast, and I think the single best candidate for any kind of boost. Move glyph or Eldgrim's spirit? Bump this lizard up a bit and get it to the fight quicker. Raelin or Thorgrim? Go from 6 to 7 on the defense and keep the Lawnmower alive even longer. Taelord or Finn? 4 attacks of 4 are good, 4 attacks of 5 are better.

An interesting question just struck me. Does the Hydra get a boost from an adjacent Finn if using Reach? The Hydra's card says it has a range of 1, but the special ability says you add one to the range, but the number in the range box is still 1. I'm thinking you wouldn't add the boost when using reach. It would make sense to be able to from a thematic sense because it's still a melee attack, but I don't think it works in a gameplay sense.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM

master4sword knows what's in an order marker master4sword knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
An interesting question just struck me. Does the Hydra get a boost from an adjacent Finn if using Reach? The Hydra's card says it has a range of 1, but the special ability says you add one to the range, but the number in the range box is still 1. I'm thinking you wouldn't add the boost when using reach. It would make sense to be able to from a thematic sense because it's still a melee attack, but I don't think it works in a gameplay sense.
Reach increases range, so it's no longer a melee attack.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Carakki knows what's in an order marker Carakki knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
The Hydra is an absolute beast, and I think the single best candidate for any kind of boost. Move glyph or Eldgrim's spirit? Bump this lizard up a bit and get it to the fight quicker. Raelin or Thorgrim? Go from 6 to 7 on the defense and keep the Lawnmower alive even longer. Taelord or Finn? 4 attacks of 4 are good, 4 attacks of 5 are better.
The Viking champions can't boost the Hydra with their spirits; they can only be placed on unique Army Cards.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carakki View Post
Quote:
The Viking champions can't boost the Hydra with their spirits; they can only be placed on unique Army Cards.
I'm pretty sure that does work. Uncommon heroes are treated like unique heroes in every aspect, except that you can have more than one of them.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carakki View Post
Quote:
Uncommons are uniques for everything except army building.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

It's worth repeating for anyone who could use a refresher:

Q: How do Uncommon Heroes work?
A:
See The Book of Feral Troll, Clarifications section
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM

Is anyone else having a lot of trouble taking Hydras down? I put together an army for my sister to use tonight, and it rocked my world. 2 Fen Hydras, 2x Phantom Knights, Raelin (SotM), and 2x Sahuagin Raiders. Raelin's aura is so large and the Hydras and Knights only need one more defense in most situations. The Hydras tend to just tear stuff up.

Jugger

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM

GatekeeperDatuck has disabled reputation

Well, they do have six defense and four life. That makes them just one life shy of Ne-Gok-Sa, and therefore they have quite the staying power.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units