Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
Warhammer Invasion x2

Played my first two games tonight using only the neutrals (not including order only) and whipped my wife's orcs twice.

The neutral deck could be very potent for new players, if you use nothing but neutrals its all units and support cards. In no time at all I was grabbing eight resources a turn and throwing undead all over the place.
Your outcome sounds very similar to mine... We each used 35 alignment specific neutrals with 15 race cards. My girlfriend had an array of lizardmen with the Empire, and I had an array of undead with my orcs. She piled up the resources fast like you to about 8. It wasn't long before she was attacking me with 7 power from a batch of units. Even though I managed to burn down one of her capitals and the match was rather even, I would still say she controlled the match.

I know you didn't use alignment specific cards, but try making a deck of just lizardmen so you can see just how strong they are... A lot of the lizardmen cards supplement each other well.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Today -

7 Wonders - First time with the family with this one. I think both my daughter and my wife enjoyed it.

Scarab Lords - Won against my wife pretty handily.
Some guys in a gaming group I belong to have been asking about 7 Wonders and if it lives up to the hype. Someone said it sounded similar to Space Beans or Bohnanza. I don't know if you've played those other games MM, but if you have, is there a comparison? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice View Post
Dominion with Cornucoppia cards thrown in x3

Wasabi - this is a pretty fun little filler, you try to get your sushi recipies finished before everyone else

LOTR:TCG - 2 player game with my daughter, we beat the 2nd scenario pretty easily with Leadership and Spirit decks

Survive x2 - Why is it sooooooo fun to roll the shark and eat the other players people

Omahavice, that's awesome that you and your daughter beat the 2nd scenario. I beat it with my nephew a few weeks ago, but lost a couple times this past weekend playing solo.

The kids love Survive Escape Atlantis. I agree that there's something about putting a shark in with the swimmers that is really fun

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

More games of Dominion with the son tonight, and he managed to win a couple games this time. He listened to my advice on more action cards not always being a good thing.
Thinking of picking up Prosperity now, as Dominion had been virtually retired here for quite a while. Now that we've jumped back in, I want more card variety already.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Some guys in a gaming group I belong to have been asking about 7 Wonders and if it lives up to the hype. Someone said it sounded similar to Space Beans or Bohnanza. I don't know if you've played those other games MM, but if you have, is there a comparison? Thanks!
Full thumbs up here for 7 Wonders....

Played Zombie Fluxx with the family. I managed to squeak out a win (rare for me, I pretty much never win this game usually).

We followed that up with 2 games of 7 Wonders including our first use of the B side.

Both games were intense, but after 4 plays, Josh hadn't one a single game. Tonight, he made up for it, pulling two wonderful wins back to back!

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

This weekend, I played two three-player games of Modern Art. I always enjoy this one and it is a nice quick one.

I then got to play a Father's day game of Space Hulk. I wish my son enjoyed this game more, as it is one of my favorites. He seemed to enjoy himself, but I have a feeling he played it mostly because it was father's day. We then broke out Crossbows and Catapults. I had been considering selling or trading this as the price has jumped pretty significantly and I wanted to break it out again. It was fun, but I think it might be on the way out. I just don't value it as highly as some of the folks out there do.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played Domion and Chaos in the Old World last night. I think Pandemic was requested for next week.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:58 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Just got done with Survive: Escape From Atlantis. The wife actually joined the kids and I for her first game, and she liked it. We tied for most points.

Edit: Thanks jschild for the thumbs for 7 Wonders.

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Today -

7 Wonders - Wife won again...

Pirate vs. Pirate

Thunderstone - Got in the last of the new Thornwood Seige cards. I do enjoy the new raid and stalk abilities. This game just keeps getting better with the expansions. Though I will say that the art has dropped a bit since Jason Engle stopped doing it all after Doom Gate Legion was released.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:26 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Today -

7 Wonders - Wife won again...

Pirate vs. Pirate

Thunderstone - Got in the last of the new Thornwood Seige cards. I do enjoy the new raid and stalk abilities. This game just keeps getting better with the expansions. Though I will say that the art has dropped a bit since Jason Engle stopped doing it all after Doom Gate Legion was released.

I kind of went backward with getting Dragonspire first and then getting all the previous releases, so I was used to the art from Dragonspire, but I can see what people mean in liking the previous stuff better.

I'll have to get Thornwood Seige

Last night I brought my Dragonspire box loaded with all four sets of cards to a game night with a group I joined a few weeks ago and taught some people to play (we had a 5 player game) with onlookers. People were impressed with the game and one guy was ticked about some of the negative things said about the game in some reviews. He totally loved it and another guy in his 50's wants to go out and buy it immediately, especially since it can be played solo. I kind of had to explain that I had 4 sets in that one box and not to expect that much stuff when just buying one game. I also have to email the one guy a link to the solo rules that comes with either Doomgate or Wrath (I can't recall at the moment).

Even though I bought it kind of backwards, I totally agree with you MM that the game has gotten better with the more expansions. The each have offered much more to the original base set and offer a great bit of variety and different experiences.

I had the Elf, Dwarf, Lorigg and Divine as heroes for the game last night and one guy asked, "Is that all the heroes you get or are there more?" I showed him how half of the packed left side of the box was heroes (the rest monsters with village on right side) and he was like, "oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about."

So I was really thrilled that I turned a group of guys with ages ranging from their 30's to late 50's, onto this game.

The great thing about this group that seems to keep growing in numbers, is that there is over 1,000 games between us owned, so I will definitely get to experience some cool new ones for sure. Actually, July 16th I'm going to try my hand at some Napoleonic miniatures gaming that one guy is big into. That should be interesting.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I'm not MM, but I love 7 Wonders and have also played Bohnanza. They are similar in the sense that they are both card games, but that's about all that I can see. I would have never connected them together on my own, and even after you've mentioned it I am still having a hard time doing that. Anyway, 7W is a very good game. Not very deep, but not very light either.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I'm not MM, but I love 7 Wonders and have also played Bohnanza. They are similar in the sense that they are both card games, but that's about all that I can see. I would have never connected them together on my own, and even after you've mentioned it I am still having a hard time doing that. Anyway, 7W is a very good game. Not very deep, but not very light either.

Thanks Jim.

The thing that came up among two people in the group via the Facebook page for the group is that one guy asked if anyone had played 7 Wonders and if it was worth getting for the group since it can sustain a lot of players, it wasn't a long game and could be used as a filler either before or after a 2+ hour game (we meet from 6-10pm). The other guy asked, "isn't it a card drafting game?" and the other guy replied, "like Space Beans" (a Bohnanza-like game that is currently used as a filler type game on occasion). So then the other guy says that if it's like Space Beans, then he's not going to buy it and kind of implied that it would be a waste to have 2 of similar games like that.

So now that I've heard from people like yourself Jim and MM, I can at least mention to these guys that it would perhaps be worth getting as it's not like Space Beans/Bohnanza aside from being a card drafting game. I've played Space Beans once and after just looking at a video review for 7 Wonders, they seem nothing alike and while 7 Wonders isn't very deep, there's more to it than Space Beans for sure and seems fun.

Thanks again fellas.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A few more games of MTG: Commander last night. I'm fairly convinced its just strictly better than the normal game. It plays much stronger to the game's legacy of a billion cards and the game gets time to develop in a way that board position and the criminally neglected, big, fun spells hit the table with some regularity. We had a game last night come down to the wire, with a ton of back and forth before I managed to sneak out the win. That really just doesn't happen with the normal 60 card decks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games