Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old June 4th, 2019, 04:38 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Crypolith) - Pod 0 - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
My line of reasoning behind a sci-fi theme (besides that being the best explanation for their appearance in my opinion) is that they could easily have been brought to Valhalla like the Marro Hive. I don't think that it's a stretch to say that Vydar summoned some SoulBorg Reconnaissance Towers from Alpha Prime or Isadora, and it feels better to me than saying that they're some ancient artifacts from the Underdark or the like.
Okay, I can see that.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 4th, 2019, 09:08 PM

Phantom knows what's in an order marker Phantom knows what's in an order marker Phantom knows what's in an order marker

I thought the teleportation idea was pretty neat but the thread seems to be drifting away from that.
Since it's such prime real estate, what about keeping the unstable footing part and some sort of D20 rolling involved?
As in you have to roll a certain number to land if you are a flyer and even if you climbed up there (is that even possible? I'm the WORST at counting spaces...), after the end of a round or turn &/or somebody hits the stand you have to roll to see if you fall off and get hurt?
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:11 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Bumping this after the outage.
Old June 21st, 2019, 08:40 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Scaling essentially is teleportation, just without the theme implied in the name, so players can imagine whatever theme they like for the things (whether it be for a scenario or just personal preference). Here it is without the anti-flier clause:

SCALING
Instead of moving normally, figures that begin their movement adjacent to a cryptolith may move to the top of that cryptolith. Instead of moving normally, figures that begin their movement on top of a cryptolith may move to a space adjacent to that cryptolith.

UNSTABLE
When this crypolith receives a wound or is destroyed, a figure on top of it must be placed by its controller on a space adjacent to the cryptolith or the space it previously occupied. Roll an attack die. On a skull, that figure receives a wound. If that figure cannot be placed, it is destroyed.

How does that feel?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 21st, 2019, 10:32 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I do not like that if the Cryptolith receives one wound the figure is automatically dropped AND there is a 50% chance of wound - that totally negates almost any reason to scale a cryptolith. If it is was a ~50% chance of falling (Heroscape or 20-sided die roll) on one+ wound then maybe it would be worth it, but maybe I am jaded in that I like the Magic:AotP rules almost as is where the cryptolith must be destroyed first (although I do like the adjacent for automatic scale versus 4 move).
Old June 21st, 2019, 10:42 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I still have a preference for a sci-fi themed, non-climbable tower, but this is the best version of tower rules that I can remember, and the generic theming doesn't bother me since it's pretty straightforward. Since the tower direction has the most support, this is what I think we should proceed with.

How do we feel about naming the Cryptoliths, though? I'd rather not use Cryptolith as the name, given that it likely has stronger correlations to Magic: The Gathering. We should likely decide just where these things came from, since they look relatively foreign to Valhalla. I see three main options:

1) Make them native to some part of Valhalla, probably a desert region from what we have in our set.
2) Make them some kind of dark artifacts from the Underdark, or another fantasy spin on them.
3) Make them sci-fi in origin, having been summoned from another planet like the Marro Hive.

The last option is my personal favorite, but whichever one we decide on should determine how we settle on a name.
Old June 21st, 2019, 01:51 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I do not like that if the Cryptolith receives one wound the figure is automatically dropped AND there is a 50% chance of wound - that totally negates almost any reason to scale a cryptolith. If it is was a ~50% chance of falling (Heroscape or 20-sided die roll) on one+ wound then maybe it would be worth it, but maybe I am jaded in that I like the Magic:AotP rules almost as is where the cryptolith must be destroyed first (although I do like the adjacent for automatic scale versus 4 move).
Raelin has plenty of reason to scale/fly onto it. It’s the best seat in the house. Pick a screen to protect her Crypolith. Bonus points if its capable of doing the fighting too.

Airborne Elite have great perches that let them receive their attack boost (and often have a great grenades spot) without the downside of their very low defense.

Air Elementals and Boreos can troll melee figures by flying from Crypolith to Crypolith.

Protectors can hop onto them and shoot without worry. Can’t get knocked off if everything that’s close is dead.

There’s plenty more examples too.

Point is, there is good reason to sit on the Crypoliths, even with the falling rule. The only units who would bother hopping onto one are cheerleaders or range anyway.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 11:44 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
How do we feel about naming the Cryptoliths, though?
IMO, cryptolith has always been a placeholder name. It's from Magic, so has 0 reason to be in Heroscape proper. I don't have a good name off the top of my head, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Raelin has plenty of reason to scale/fly onto it. It’s the best seat in the house. Pick a screen to protect her Crypolith. Bonus points if its capable of doing the fighting too.

Airborne Elite have great perches that let them receive their attack boost (and often have a great grenades spot) without the downside of their very low defense.

Air Elementals and Boreos can troll melee figures by flying from Crypolith to Crypolith.

Protectors can hop onto them and shoot without worry. Can’t get knocked off if everything that’s close is dead.

There’s plenty more examples too.

Point is, there is good reason to sit on the Crypoliths, even with the falling rule. The only units who would bother hopping onto one are cheerleaders or range anyway.
Agreed.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 23rd, 2019, 11:24 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I’m still on the train that they should have some kind of generally used but optional rules aside from just “you can climb this.” I don’t have any ideas, though, and I’m happy to leave that to scenario writers and see if any particular effect becomes popular in the community.
Old June 24th, 2019, 12:32 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
How do we feel about naming the Cryptoliths, though?
IMO, cryptolith has always been a placeholder name. It's from Magic, so has 0 reason to be in Heroscape proper. I don't have a good name off the top of my head, though.
Indeed. I think that since we seem to be settling on the climbable tower angle, we should decide what the theme is before deciding on a name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I’m still on the train that they should have some kind of generally used but optional rules aside from just “you can climb this.” I don’t have any ideas, though, and I’m happy to leave that to scenario writers and see if any particular effect becomes popular in the community.
I think that any optional rules should be relegated to scenarios. Since we're already having the mandatory climbing rules, I don't want to complicate things too much by throwing some additional rules to choose from on top of that. If the scenarios find it convenient to use some consistent effects across the board, then that's fine, but it would need to be done there in my opinion.
Old June 29th, 2019, 08:31 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Names can include:

Ancient Column/Pillar (Ruins theme)
Security Tower (Alpha Prime theme)
Desert Oddity (Desert theme)

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 29th, 2019, 11:46 AM

If we wanted to say that these towers were brought in from a Sci-Fi planet, I like the idea of bringing them from Isadora, the prison moon/planet for Alpha Prime. We could call them Panopticons or some variant to play on their intended purpose (Deployed or Portable Panopticon Towers covers the theme well enough in my eyes, although it is a mouthful and we could simplify it).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs