Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Notices

Old September 10th, 2018, 01:31 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: CA-SoCal Heroscapers

I don't really care about the format other than I'd prefer it to feel "tournament-y". But I'm the newb here, I'm more than happy to yield to other people who've been around more.
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:31 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

11/3 works for me

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old September 12th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Well, it sounds like we're settled on 11/3. I'll mark it on our calendars here on our side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I don't really care about the format other than I'd prefer it to feel "tournament-y". But I'm the newb here, I'm more than happy to yield to other people who've been around more.
Well, from my perspective, here's the problems I see with just doing the same ol' format that we always do:
  • It's always irksome if we have an odd number of people. Strict 2v2 means that, sometimes, someone has to sit out every game, and that sucks for whoever draws the short straw.
  • It's just friggin' boring. You're playing the same army all day, on those dinky little symmetrical tourney maps with limited horizontal space and almost zero vertical space. It's always kill 'em all, so the only variation is in the maps, although admittedly we've instituted a policy of "backup armies," which allows a tiny bit more variation. Still, no one will let you bring Marvel or C3G or anything cool like that—I managed to convince everyone to allow VC starting a few years back, and even that was pulling teeth. We always say we're going to allow glyphs, but we never do. And, to top it all off, we've been doing basically this same format for about 10 years.
  • This is the first year that people have seemed willing to allow some significant changes in the format, and I really don't wanna waste that opportunity.

The thing I like about the Utah format is that every game will be different. Even though you might play the same army every time, the fact that you're playing with a different ally every time means that at least you're going to use a different strategy for each game. I think it needs a few tweaks ... it would make it more complex, but I think that we could do something cool involving everyone bringing two armies and breaking into either 2v2 or 2v1 games, and there would never be anyone having to sit out as long as we had at least 6 people. And it still allows us to declare an ultimate winner at the end, I believe, which is all I need to call it "tournament-y." My ideas probably need some work, but I'm happy to start thrashing them out here and we could all workshop them to nail down details. If, that is, we all agree that this is an avenue worth pursuing. I like everyone to have some buy-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 12th, 2018, 12:33 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Well then all we need is to decide points and space/figure limits, and get at least one other person to say they don't hate the idea .

I think 400 points/12 spaces/9 figures would work.

Oh, and then we need maps and a few stock armies. We could do regular 1v1maps and split the start zones, or do some 2v2 maps (I know Dignan has some).

Tagging some other LA people I've seen around the forums: @DjKniteX @digitallimit
Old September 13th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Well then all we need is to decide points and space/figure limits, and get at least one other person to say they don't hate the idea .
Agreed.

Quote:

Oh, and then we need maps and a few stock armies. We could do regular 1v1maps and split the start zones, or do some 2v2 maps (I know Dignan has some).
See, I would do it differently. Let me start laying out some ideas that I've had bouncing around my brain—and, again: these are just ideas. They need further tuning, for sure. But just try to picture this:
  • On every table, we put two maps (probably standard BoV tourney maps). We connect them with 2 or 3 "bridge" pieces. Put a couple of glyphs on the bridges in order to encourage people to cross over.
  • Every player brings two armies. Let's call them "A" and "B" armies; unlike what we've done in past years, it's not a primary army and a backup army. Both armies will be used.
  • Based on the number of players, we break into 2v2 or 2v1 games. We maximize the number of 2v2s, but we make it so that no one ever has to sit out. (As long as the number of players doesn't change during the tournament, the number of 2v2s and 2v1s also won't change from round to round.)
  • There are a few different ways to pair up people; as long as it's not one side clearly higher ranked than the other, we should be good. The "1" side of 2v1 matches would almost certainly be the highest currently ranked players, but, LIS: we've got options.
  • If you're assigned to a partner, you and they get together just before the game and choose which two armies you'll use: one of your two armies, and one of their two armies. It could be your A and their A, your A and their B ... basically, you've got 4 different combos you could go with. Decide whichever one you think will have the best synergy, or go the best with the 2 maps you've been assigned, or whatever. In a 2v2 match, army choices are announced simultaneously and cannot be changed.
  • If you're playing solo (because you're the "1" in a 2v1), you'll just use both of your armies. You'll play them as separate armies in all ways: separate OMs, figures in one army don't count as "figures you control" for the purposes of the other army's special powers, etc. You won't have any disadvantage over the other side, except that a) they'll have 2 brains to your 1, and b) they'll know ahead of time what armies they'll be facing, because you only have 1 combination.
  • Partners play side-by-side; each has the full starting zone of one of the two maps. Because of this, each army could easily be a full tourney army, point-wise.
  • Points would probably be however many points you have left on the battlefield at the end of the game (they have to be actually on the field: no undropped AE, no clinging gnids, no Mok riders, etc). Scoring would be normal Swiss-tourney style: wins / strength of schedule / points.
  • I'd want to at least see classic and VC. I'd love to see Marvel as well, and even C3G and/or HoSS, but that's probably too much "new" considering all the other new we've got going on.

You think something along these lines could work?

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 13th, 2018, 12:11 PM
This is merely a joke.

I'm not a huge fan of bringing two armies (unless that's the only "trick" of the format). If you bring one army each, though, this does create an issue with 2v1s. The easy solution is to have 2-3 stock armies to pick from, and then continue as you described above (2 separate OMs and all that).

The "map mashup" idea is cool, although I worry a bit that it would be a hassle to set up on the day of. The last thing you want is two maps that don't connect (because one map has hexes square to the player and the other has hexes with a corner facing the player). An easy way to avoid that would be to pick a bunch of "line up on two sides of a field" maps, but I get the feeling that those aren't your favorite .

That said, if you (or someone else) is willing to pair up maps ahead of time and ensure that you could bridge them effectively, I'm all for it.
Old September 13th, 2018, 04:47 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?

Quote:

Tagging some other LA people I've seen around the forums: @DjKniteX @digitallimit

Yeah, someone tagged me on FB, it's going to be dopeee
Old September 15th, 2018, 12:34 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

So I competely forgot I have an event on 11/3. Looks like I’m going to miss NHSD this year guys 😭 Have fun with me.

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old September 15th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of bringing two armies (unless that's the only "trick" of the format). If you bring one army each, though, this does create an issue with 2v1s.
Well, that's part of the reason I suggested two armies. But of course the other reason is because I get remarkably bored playing the same army all day. We've had the "backup army" concept for several years now, and I'm not sure I've ever failed to switch to my backup—more for wanting a change of pace than because I needed to improve my odds. If this plan means I'm stuck playing the same army all day, I'll probably end up voting against my own plan.

Quote:
The easy solution is to have 2-3 stock armies to pick from, and then continue as you described above (2 separate OMs and all that).
Well, that's an interesting idea ... as long as there's some way to leverage that to allow even the 2v sides to utilize them. I mean, if only the top ranked players are ever going to be on the 1v side, that's likely never going to include me. So something along the lines of, everyone brings at least one army, but you may bring more than one if you choose to, and the extras go into the "free army pool," and any 1v people must choose an army from the pool, and any 2v people may choose to substitute one of the pool armies for one of their 2 armies ... something like that could work. I mean, in addition to the advantage of making sure 2v1 matches can work, and the advantage of providing variety in playstyles, being able to swap armies has a third advantage: if you're paired with someone, and their army and yours just plain don't work well together, at least you have options.

Quote:
The "map mashup" idea is cool, although I worry a bit that it would be a hassle to set up on the day of. The last thing you want is two maps that don't connect (because one map has hexes square to the player and the other has hexes with a corner facing the player). An easy way to avoid that would be to pick a bunch of "line up on two sides of a field" maps, but I get the feeling that those aren't your favorite .

That said, if you (or someone else) is willing to pair up maps ahead of time and ensure that you could bridge them effectively, I'm all for it.
Well, I didn't go into it last time, but there are two major (and one minor) reasons I came up with the "map mashup" idea:
  • Two tourney-style maps will definitely have enough room for a 2v2 game.
  • Tourney maps are easy to find. Finding enough big maps specifically designed for 2v1 or 2v2 games could be challenging. Finding twice as many tourney maps as we need will be trivial.
  • If you glue two maps together, you pretty much have to put glyphs on the bridge pieces, or else the inherent pathing for the maps practically guarantees that each pair of players will stick to their own maps. So the minor reason is, the map mashup plan basically forces us to use some damn glyphs, at last.

Yeah, I hate those line-up-on-either-side-of-a-big-field maps ... you've been reading the previous years' threads, eh? But I think it should be fine to glue 'em together beforehand. I don't think it'd be that difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
So I competely forgot I have an event on 11/3. Looks like I’m going to miss NHSD this year guys 😭 Have fun with me.
Awww ... we'll miss you, Leo!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 15th, 2018, 09:07 PM
This is merely a joke.

I like everything you just said.
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:45 PM
This is merely a joke.

@Xotli , do you want to make a thread for this event?
@Heroscaper 101 , it looks like this is only a few hours away from where you live. Wanna make the drive?
Old September 18th, 2018, 05:14 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
I like everything you just said.
Cool. I'll try to formalize that and make some proposals.

Quote:
Xotli, do you want to make a thread for this event?
Well, usually @warriorneedsfoodbadly makes the thread. But I can do it, if he doesn't have an opportunity to do it in the next day or so.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers