Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old November 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
American Revolution...Or...American Independance

I don't know if this is the place to put this or if it should even have it's own thread but I wanted to ask you guys here.

Today, in Social Studies, and the last few weeks we've been talking about the American Revolution and events that lead to it. So we're sitting there today and I forget if it was my teacher or one of the students but someone asked, "How do they teach the American Revolution in Britain?" So I am asking you bunch here if you know. It would be a great pleasure as I am very curious myself. I've done my research from sites that have asked this same question and learned that they (British) call it (American Revolution) the American Independence, and because of the such long history of England it's a very small point to cover in Britain.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep looking at various sites. Again, I am very interested to see your answer myself.

Last edited by Sheep; November 1st, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: American Revolution...Or...American Independance

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
I don't know if this is the place to put this or if it should even have it's own thread but I wanted to ask you guys here.

Today, in Social Studies, and the last few weeks we've been talking about the American Revolution and events that lead to it. So we're sitting there today and I forget if it was my teacher or one of the students but someone asked, "How do they teach the American Revolution in Britain?" So I am asking you bunch here if you know. It would be a great pleasure as I am very curious myself. I've done my research from sites that have asked this same question and learned that they (British) call it (American Revolution) the American Independence, and because of the such long history of England it's a very small point to cover in Britain.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep looking at various sites. Again, I am very interested to see your answer myself.
Alot of personal opinion, but might be a good starting point...

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/se...restrict_sr=on

Long Story short though, it's not focused on much because it's a minor point of English history as opposed to a defining moment in American history. The English world didn't change much, in other words, when we revolted. The same is exactly opposite for us, however.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Already looked there. Thanks though, keep the sites coming. And any other personal info.

Personal info is all you can ask for here because not all of us are British.
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Already looked there. Thanks though, keep the sites coming. And any other personal info.

Personal info is all you can ask for here because not all of us are British.

Added more to my original post.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:46 PM

Just found this on answers.com (Not a really reliable site, but since it is a question that can only be answered by British citizens it is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly
from my experience, we're not taught about it. its definately not taught at primary school (5-11) and in the 3 years of high school when history is compulsary, we aren't taught it either. i am taking history for my GSCE's, and its not part of the course. maybe it varies on the school, but i doubt it, and my school is pretty good anyways.

britain has a much longer history than america, and we first and foremost get taught about british history (save for ancient civilisations such as the egyptians.) after that, we're taught about thiings that influenced our country more, such as the world wars (so life of hitler, etc.) i dont know anything about the american revolution, but im gonna guess that it didnt have much effect on british history?

as for benedict arnold - benedict who? ask an english teenager (or even adult) who he is, and we wouldnt have a clue who you're talking about
What?!?!? It has a mass effect on Britain. They just don't think about it that way. Have you ever asked yourself, what would life be like if the opposing side won the war?
What?!?!? It has a mass effect on Britain. They just don't think about it that way. Have you ever asked yourself, what would life be like if the opposing side won the war?
For example: What if the South won the Civil War? Would we still have slaves? Would America be split into two? What?
-------------------------------------
Or
-------------------------------------
What if Britain won the American Revolution? Would we still be British citizens(Even though if the Rebels lost who know what would have happened. Like with the Intolerable Act and every other act King George III taxed America with)?
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Dr Feelgood

No, it honestly didn't affect Britain much at all. They were already besieged in Europe and don't forget they had colonies around the entire world, one's they held well into the 20th century.

America didn't drastically impact England or even Europe in truly significant ways until the 20th Century. We were a side concern until then.

Your comparison regarding the South (It could have never won the war, period. It could, however, could have forced a peace and stayed separate) is different since our economies were intertwined and the distance was so small separating us. Do you think the South was concerned with Europe (other than what leverage they could get?) The distances were simply too large to be of significance.

Old November 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Dr Feelgood

Think of it this way - Two men walk out of their homes. Both finds 10,000 dollars in their mailbox. One man is worth 10's of millions. The other made 20,000 last year.

Both events are identical. 10,000 dollars was found. But it's only significant to one of them.

Old November 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks. Can't wait till tomorrow's S.S.'s!
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

In Canada, it is the American Revolution. We don't spend much time on it.

We spend more time on The War of 1812. Especially where colonial (Upper and Lower Canada) and British forces, burned Washington and most of the White House to the ground.

Yeah Divine Right.
God Bless King George.

Not that we have done much since, but still.

Cheers,

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

"Desre for good grammar makes one looking to destroy fun??"

I love it when the overly critical can't meet their own expectations.
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

As my history teacher told me, they considered it the Second English Civil War, for at the time that was what it was.

Especially since the Southern states treated/acted like it more like that than in the North.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General