Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Old November 1st, 2007, 12:08 AM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
One more like minded review: http://tv.ign.com/articles/831/831332p1.html

Anyways, I think the whole series is really going to pick up pace now. I have always thought this season lacked two major things the other season had (especially towards the end): a broad, world spanning, multi-character problem, and a sense of continuity between the stories in the episodes.

Now it has one, and it is moving towards getting the other.

In this episode we are given several of those series spanning problems. Obviously the epidemic of New York is one large example. (I was incredibly bugged by this- didn't we just have a "save New York" storyline? However, I am quite curious; do you think the disease is a Maja-mutation or a Mohinder-blood one?) In addition to the overused "save New York" motif, we have a quest to find a guy named Adam, and several portraits with clear real-world implications. (Either of these could turn into the 2nd "Save the Cheerleader, save the world.")

Now, I also think we are going to be seeing these stories be drawn much closer to each other, and in turn, become more interesting.

before I elaborate, I would like to point out something all of these reviewers are missing: this episode was entirely about character build up. It is not called "The Line" for nothing. Each of the characters crossed a major moral line in their story arc.

Claire (for all the hate she is getting for role in this episode) was a good example. She has shown that she is willing to do something morally wrong- and ethically disturbing by her own account- for the sake of her boyfriend. While it has been much lamented that this is just another phase of her High School Drama, I think it is much more significant than that. For the first time you have seen Claire use her powers for evil. I don't think it will be the last. (Kind of interesting parallels with the Sylar/Maja bit, huh?)

HRG is stellar example. Don't tell me you didn't get chills when he killed Ivan. My stomach flipped over. This has brought HRG to a new level of determination- and perhaps more important- a new level of urgency in his efforts.

I can only see these new characters and goals leading to more intertwined character lines. Heroes can only go on for so long having these desperate and devilish characters react with no one in particular. These story lines will connect, and when they do it will be like bullet trains colliding.

(How is that for a dramatic ending? )
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
See that's what I got out of it as well!! I am glad you posted this and pointed out the good things. This episode was one of my favorites. The theme of crossing lines was nicely re-enforced throughout the show.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
I also agree with Chimpy. Personally, I'm still enjoying the show, for the most part.

Also:

Heroes "Origins" spin-off cancelled, for now.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=38947

Alas.
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:37 AM

Argent has disabled reputation
Ok I'm going to throw out some comments here about the last few pages.

Exactly!! The last episode was about crossing lines. Who was willing to, and who was not. It adds alot to the development of the characters. I did not see the guys guarding the border as being evil. Yes they came off alittle aggressive, but really the main thing that is done to make them "evil" is the comentary by SYLAR! Hello, not the best person to trust when it comes to opinions of character. The whole point was him convincing Maya that they were bad. NOT that they actually were. Actually the whole scene has much more impact when you stay with the thought that these guys were just doing their job, and were not evil. It makes the line Maya crossed alot more visable. I guess Sylar convinced more tha Maya that the guards were evil...

BTW:: Why do we have to tip-toe around something because it's currently a "hot topic" but its ok to do whatever to things that are not currently "hot topics"? What happens if something about Irish Gangs hits national news? do we suddenly go back and shun Heroes and Black Donelley's??

Anyway...

As far as the season goes? Having watched last season, I'm having fun trying to figure out what all the connections are going to be! Is "Kensei" really Kensei, or is Hiro going to be Kensei. Since Kensei heals, is he still around now. If so, who is he now. Papa Petrelli? Adam? The killer? Combonation of the afore mentioned?

"Kensei" and "scary stalker kid" display the first duplicate powers that I remember without using an ability to do so. What does that hold for the future?? Is Maya's disease the same as Mohinder's sister's?? If so, would that have been her power? (since duplicate powers are shown now) And Mohinder has the same power as Alejandro, but never displayed it because his sister died before he was born. Powers have been shown to run in families.

There is alot going on. Alot of possible outcomes. The fun part for right now isn't the outcome. It's the journey.

Argent is Alexander Ravenhurst, Librarian, in The Menagerie.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Just watched this video (caught the link off Digg) of some people protesting dolphin slaughter in Japan. Hayden's one of them:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=7487
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree
... in Episode 5 of the first season Future-Hiro gave Peter his famous directive "Save the cheerleader, save the world" and the whole show instantly had focus. We just passed episode 6 and nothing like that has happened.
I would rather they not follow some formula.
I wasn't suggesting that they ought to do the same thing they did in season 1. If anything, this season needed focus much earlier, probably by the second episode. The writers were able to take their time in the first season because it was a new show: the premise itself was enough to hold peoples interest, and they had a whole world to flesh out. This time around we know the premise, we know the characters, and we know the world they live in. One episode was all we really needed to establish what people have done since the end of last season. After that something of consequence needed to happen.

We do have some promising plot arcs: Suresh and Bennet's plot to take down the company, Maya the Plague Bearer and a future evacuated New York, Parkman's father the Nightmare Man, a final series of Isaac Mendez paintings, someone bumping off the original twelve. You know, when I list these things off I realize that the story has been moving along. But why does it still feel like the show has been stagnating? There's definitely something missing.

And Chimpy, you're right: as a thematic exercise in character development this past week's episode was interesting.
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM

Dartheyegouger is surprisingly tart
Prediction:

The Company captures Maya and injects her with that lose-your-power serum Bob wanted to inject Monica with. This cause the Heroes version of the Legacy Virus to cross over into the regular human population (like Mohinder was saying), causing the mass deaths and evacuation of New York.

Marvel Figure Suggestions for Wizards of the Coast
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=15733
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree
Suresh and Bennet's plot to take down the company
I'm convinced that Jessica/Nikki is in on this.

One of the articles suggested that there is no doubt that it is Jessica not Nikki. I am not so sure. The real Jessica would have tore Bob apart when she had him by the throat. He would not have survived. I think she is leading them into believing she is working for them until the exact right moment to reveal she is working with Mr Bennett. It may not actually be that way, as in she may not knowingly be undercover to infiltrate the company. But she obviously has established herself as a dominate force in the right place to help bring 'em down. In the end, I think she will be a big part of it, whether by design or circumstance.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
See, now I'm getting even more excited! I hadn't considered the Jessica/Nikki aspect... Hmmmm...

~Aldin, pondering the limits of Monica's power... can she fly?

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Speaking of Nikki/Jessica, her little breakout and choking session was one of the coolest parts of this season so far. We got glimpses of her being cool last season, but the bodies and pieces of the building that were strewn about in that scene were awesome.

I hope she's Nikki, and I hope she's in on the plot. That would be pretty aggressive of her, but very cool.
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
See, now I'm getting even more excited! I hadn't considered the Jessica/Nikki aspect... Hmmmm...

~Aldin, pondering the limits of Monica's power... can she fly?
I think it's only muscle and mental activities. Otherwise she'd be more like Peter. I could be quite wrong.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
Looks like Heroes: Origins isn't going to happen anytime soon.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6479

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV