Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old May 18th, 2019, 04:27 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: I can't make it, but if I could (Main Event 2019 ideas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I love the army advice: "Play what you Know and Know what you play" and in RTW its even more true as you are playing against what you bring. However my armies tend towards "Fast and Fragile" or "Bread and Butter" AKA "Swarming armies" as I love (i.e. have fun) playing with and against them and know them better than most, but I think are too easy in the hands of experienced players, and they are not that Order marker intensive. Are these armies too strong for Gencon (410, 16 fig max)?

VIPERS - 17 figures (sit 1)
Armoc Vipers/Aubrien Archers x 1
Venoc Vipers x 4
Venoc Warlord x 1
Zetacron (Can bring Deadeye if Zetacron with +2 move is too strong)

MARRO PLAQUE
Su-Bak-Na
Marrden Nagrubs x 1
Marro Drones x 3
4th squad of drones + Marcu / Me-Burk-Sa + Marcu / Stingers x 1

UNDEAD + RANGE
Zombies x 4
Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan
Syvarris/Agent Carr/Gurei-Oni/Atlaga/Heirloom/KMA (adjust strength to suit meta)
I like the Viper one a lot, especially with x1 Aubriens. That used to be my favorite type of build way back in the day.

I'd swap the drones out for dividers for the second one.... x3 Drones is pretty tricky to play if you only have Su-Bak-Na backing it. Or maybe run a squad of PK's for your last 70 and play the Drones with Su-Bak-Na/Grubs as a slow second wave? I'd probably go with that if you're set on Drones x3. You could always play Drones x5 and Su-Bak-Na without grubs, if you're willing to face that in the off rounds.

The last one is interesting. The Zombies could be brutal for armies that play lighter or include x1 commons (which I think we'll see a lot of). I like Atlaga with that build.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The hell with Main Event armies... I need help with "Old Man" Tourny

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old May 30th, 2019, 07:52 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post

3x Arrow Gruts 120
Krug 240
Raelin 320
3x Swog Rider 395 (14)
Isamu optional. I probably wouldn't play him because he is more likely to make you lose than he is to let you win a game, if that makes any sense.

A less powerful but maybe more fun arrow grut build:

2x Arrow Gruts 80
Krug 200
2x Swog Rider 250
Mimring 400 (10)
I think you first army could go far, but I don't see it winning. As for the second army, I don't want to play against Mimring five times

Non conventional Arrow grut armies are a build that's been woefully underdeveloped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
3x Blade Gruts 120
Grimnak 240
Tornak 340
Nerak 390
Marcu 410 (16)
All melee
Three auras the mange
OrcElfArmyOne will tell you it's to strong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Grok Riders x2 260
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Krav 100
One of the better Grok builds, but it's still Groks. I think there's better ways to fill out the last 100 points.

Quote:
Marro Drudge x3 150
Taelord 180
Marro Warriors 50
Guilty 30

^might be stretching it...we'll see how many SotM maps there'll be
I've never been down this road. I'd mod it to suit my style, but I'm intrigued

Quote:
Jotun 225
Rats x3 120
Zetacron 60 (or Deadeye if you're feeling edgy)
I've been toying with Jotun builds for some years now, but I don't think the big guy does well with these lower point totals.

Quote:
Shades of Bleakewoode x1 100
Elite Onyx Vipers 100
Dwarves x2 140
Darrak 60
Isamu 10

^I don't know why but I like this one haha, it's so weird
I don't think you can pull off both Shades and EoV in the same army at this point total. I just tested EoV yesterday, so I think they have a place. As for Shades, they need Raelin to have a chance.

Quote:
Sir Dupuis 150
PK's x2 140
Hydra 120

(Hydra+PKs might be too strong)
If that's the case just fill it with something other then Hydra. 120 is such a juice point total. PK's with Dupuis is something I tried to make work a couple years ago. The point total didn't work then, and I haven't tried yet this year.
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Swogs for the Main Event definitely have a bonding option problem. There are only three choices: Krug, Mimring, or the Ice Troll. Krug is way too good for the Main Event. Mimring is honestly pretty good, but very swingy. That leaves the Ice Troll, who is probably the most Main Event suitable, but brings his own problem, mainly that he is two defense four life and can die pretty much whenever. I don't know what the answer is to be honest. I'd like to bring Arrows again at some point

Taelord and Marro Warriors is a brutal combo honestly. It allows the Marro Warriors to backpedal into even more attack dice. Drudge are bad enough that it might be fine, when I ran that combo I had 10th Reg behind it which is way way too good for the 2019 meta.
Old May 31st, 2019, 02:47 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Swogs for the Main Event definitely have a bonding option problem. There are only three choices: Krug, Mimring, or the Ice Troll. Krug is way too good for the Main Event. Mimring is honestly pretty good, but very swingy. That leaves the Ice Troll, who is probably the most Main Event suitable, but brings his own problem, mainly that he is two defense four life and can die pretty much whenever. I don't know what the answer is to be honest. I'd like to bring Arrows again at some point
The only time I brought Krug was the only time I've missed day 2, although that was 2012 when the meta was way way way stronger. I honestly thing Mimring is more busted than Krug in that build, although it depends on the matchup of course. I guess Krug might be better in the current melee-heavy meta, but against opposing range Mimring is pretty epic.

Ice Troll is pretty much trash, but maybe that's what you should go for if you play AGs.
Old July 25th, 2019, 01:14 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

What do people think of another crazy idea I had:
Omnicron Snipers x 2 = 200
Omnicron Repulsors x 3 = 120
Zetacron = 60
??? = 30 (Eldgrim, Guillty, or Marcu, or just go light)
410, 17 figures (so drop one anyway)

I am not really sure I know how to play it that well though. It is a ranged army that exploits being in a mostly melee Gencon Meta, but a crappy range army (at least based on Rankings). But I think it is such a rare army that if you are experienced with playing it you could probably do well. Anyone agree or beg to differ?
Old July 25th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I don't own any Repulsors so I never really consider them but I don't think they are that good. The limit of +1 attack die max combined with having to move the targeting beacons on a separate turn from the attackers makes it really hard to throw a ton of dice with the Omnicrons. If you were able to figure out a way to play it well enough to win games against Gencon tier armies I think you would do well as I doubt literally anyone is practiced enough to play that army to its full potential.
Old July 25th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I've always wanted to try out Repulsors a bit more for a RtW format, but I also don't think they're really strong enough. At the very least I think you need to fit Raelin in there somehow, and you need a plan in case your opponent has any kind of decent range. So I'd love to see/try it, but it would take a great build and player to make it work really well, IMO.

While I'm here, I'm wondering what people would think of my runner-ups for the online season running right now (same format, less rounds):

Agent Skahen 120
Otonashi 10
Warforged Soldiers x2 80 (160)
Fen Hydra 120

I was concerned this one would be too much of a melee meat grinder and not have enough against range, though Warforged would probably be decent against it with the map pool. Also didn't love not having a special attack.

Taelord 180
Zetacron 60
Goblin Cutters x3 50 (150)

More of a "I want to try Taelord" build, since Zetacron loves the extra attack die and Cutters would be interesting (lets them not have to rely on Mob Attack against more numerous armies, and really puts the hurt on when they do). Cutters for shenanigans, Zetacron to snipe Special Attackers. I wasn't comfortable enough with my ability to maximize Scurry and Taelord to give it a go, though.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old July 30th, 2019, 05:17 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I've always wanted to try out Repulsors a bit more for a RtW format, but I also don't think they're really strong enough. At the very least I think you need to fit Raelin in there somehow, and you need a plan in case your opponent has any kind of decent range. So I'd love to see/try it, but it would take a great build and player to make it work really well, IMO.

While I'm here, I'm wondering what people would think of my runner-ups for the online season running right now (same format, less rounds):

Agent Skahen 120
Otonashi 10
Warforged Soldiers x2 80 (160)
Fen Hydra 120

I was concerned this one would be too much of a melee meat grinder and not have enough against range, though Warforged would probably be decent against it with the map pool. Also didn't love not having a special attack.

Taelord 180
Zetacron 60
Goblin Cutters x3 50 (150)

More of a "I want to try Taelord" build, since Zetacron loves the extra attack die and Cutters would be interesting (lets them not have to rely on Mob Attack against more numerous armies, and really puts the hurt on when they do). Cutters for shenanigans, Zetacron to snipe Special Attackers. I wasn't comfortable enough with my ability to maximize Scurry and Taelord to give it a go, though.
For the second one, I'd even consider Taelord+Zetacron+Cuttersx2+Zettians to give you some more fire power incase things go badly for Zeta, or if the Cutter-Taelord thing doesn't get going (Taelord+melee is often hard to do). You could even try Harquebus x1, or Syvarris+Guilty.

I've tried Taelord+rats before, and it works (doesn't hurt that rats are stupid good), but never Taelord+Cutters. I fear Cutters like to run/hide too much and need more room to find and maximize openings. They don't have the steadfast quality as the rats, but Cutters are still similar. I think it's worth a try.

Taelord+melee is difficult, Taelord+range can be really great. I think Zettians would do well. They also give you longevity which I think the build is lacking.

Last edited by Cleon; July 30th, 2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old August 5th, 2019, 03:18 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I'll get the exact details when I transcribe the cards (next couple days), but I believe there were two different sniper/repulsor builds in the main event. Since I was playing 'trons, I was of moderated terrified I'd see them in an odd-numbered round, and excited at the possibility of seeing them in an even round. (Instead I somehow managed to draw the only two Roman Archer armies in the even rounds.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion