Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM

waycoolsuperdude is surprisingly tart
Waycoolsuperdude's Awesome Adventure! CH 2 Up

Hello all. As you can tell, I have been a member of Heroscapers for some time but do not post much, mostly just lurk and get ideas. This is actually my first thread. From time to time I get inspired to do some things and this is the case here. After reading thru Skyknight's campaign thread with his kids, I thought what a great way to get some game time in, be creative and be able to spend quality time with my kids. I've actually had this idea for quite a while now but timing was never right to start. Part of the problem is that my kids are young. Mostly they just like to play with the figures although my daughter and I have played the basic game a few times. She loves to read and write her own stories (mostly about dragons!) so why not put all that together?
We are basically coming up with a story based on the events of the games we play. I am the narrator and she plays the parts of the heroes. I push the story along and she helps flesh out the details. So I guess this is going to be a project of linked scenarios combined with battle reports in the form of a fantasy short story. Each "chapter" of the story will correspond to a game that is played.
Hopefully this is the correct forum for this. I figured that this is where Skyknight posted his and mine is based upon what he has done.
Our story will not be as grand as Skyknight's simply because my collection is way smaller. It will focus on a few heroes and the cast will change from time to time. I also think my goal for doing this might be slighty different. Part of the reason for doing this is to teach my kids (mostly my daughter) how to play Heroscape with the advanced rules and help develop their reasoning in their decision-making. The maps and armies will start out small and get progressivley larger as the story evolves.
Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Without further ado, our story begins:

The Long Way Home: A HeroScape Tale

CHAPTER 1: Meeting at the Shrine

Rhogar Dragonspine was a long way from home. Not just by the many miles that separated him from his family and clan, but also by his experiences these past few years. Rhogar needed time to recover both body and spirit. His ability to help heal battle-weary friends had diminished. This is why he was heading to Mt. Dragonspire: to heal himself.

In a small woodland area, Rhogar hears cries for help. Rhogar has committed his life to help those in need and now is no different. In the distance he sees what looks like an old, ruined shrine and several blue-skinned monsters through the trees. Orcs: not very smart or strong, but they always travel in numbers and are always dangerous. Rhogar checks his armor and weapons, then calls out, “Fear not, help has arrived! Away with you, foul beasts!”

It is literally an uphill battle for Rhogar. The orcs rain down arrows trying to stop him, but Rhogar finds cover in the trees. A couple of arrows find their mark, but Rhogar is well armored so the damage is minimal. Once he gets close enough, he unleashes his dragon breath on two of the orc archers then defeats the remaining one with no problem.

He then sees who was crying for help. An elf maiden, chained between two ancient pillars. Rhogar rushes to her to see if she is harmed. The chain that holds the elf is strong and he does not want to risk hurting her by trying to break them with his great axe. She tells him, “There was another orc who went down into that glade. He was the one carrying the key. There are caves down there. Maybe he is still hiding.”

Rhogar goes down into the glade to look for the key. There is no sign of the orc, but he finds an old, wooden chest and uses his axe to bash it open.

The noise of it disturbs something because Rhogar hears something rustling from behind him. He grabs the key and turns to see three huge spiders clambering around a crumbling wall coming quickly toward him. Though fearsome looking, they are easily defeated by Rhogar’s fiery breath attack and swings of his great axe.

Now fearing for the elf’s safety, Rhogar rushes back up to her and unlocks the chains. She says, “Thank you, great warrior. The Dragonborn have always been a friend to the elven peoples. My name is Jorhdawn. It seems that my powers have weakened because I am so far from home. I would be honored and you would be well rewarded if you would see me back safely to my home.”

“I do not seek reward from your kin,” says Rhogar, “and one way to earn honor is to avoid dishonor. Since I would be dishonoring my vows to protect those in need if I leave you here by yourself, I will gain honor by seeing you safely back to your people.”

“Then let us get away from this place. I do not believe I was the first one to be brought here. We still need to be careful because there were more orcs about. They aren’t smart but they are clever and sneaky.”

Jorhdawn leads Rhogar into another vale. As they are heading down, angry howls rise up in front of them. More orcs. Jorhdawn throws a fireball into their midst but the orcs just laugh and shrug it off and keep on coming. Fortunately the path is narrow so only one orc at a time can advance. Unfortunately, Rhogar cannot get in front of Jorhdawn to protect her before the first of the orcs engage her in combat. Desperate, he unleashes his dragon breath just over the top of Jorhdawn’s head. Other than a few singed hairs, Jorhdawn is fine, but the orcs did not fare so well. Two go down in the conflagration. Two more orcs rush up to take their place and wildly stab at Jorhdawn who brushes their blades aside with her staff. Again, Rhogar breathes his fire and this time gets a little too close to Jorhdawn but also brings down another orc. Jorhdawn drops the last orc with a blow from her staff.

Rhogar is bleeding from the arrow wounds and Jorhdawn’s arm is red and blistered, but otherwise they are fine.

This first chapter was an easy one for the heroes. The battle was segmented and lopsided in favor of the heroes. This one was designed to help the kids count movement up and down levels and just basic stuff like reading the army cards to see what each figure can do. We will see Rhogar and Jorhdawn in the next chapter...

Last edited by waycoolsuperdude; March 26th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:57 PM

InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker
Re: Waycoolsuperdude's Awesome Adventure!

Wow this is both a great idea to teach your daughter as well as super fun to read and look at the photos! Hope you're able to do more of these! +rep!
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Xor has disabled reputation

I love it! Both your story (and approach) are excellent. My 5yo daughter loves my Heroscape figures (and story-telling) and I've been trying to teach her how to play HS. This might be just the method we need to get her to "play the game" and not just "play".

Also, I'm interested in your first picture where I can see a tray to hold the map/board... I've been looking for something like that but haven't seen anything large enough for a "real" game-size map. What are you using?
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Thank you both very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xor View Post
I love it! Both your story (and approach) are excellent. My 5yo daughter loves my Heroscape figures (and story-telling) and I've been trying to teach her how to play HS. This might be just the method we need to get her to "play the game" and not just "play".

Also, I'm interested in your first picture where I can see a tray to hold the map/board... I've been looking for something like that but haven't seen anything large enough for a "real" game-size map. What are you using?
The tray is actually the underside of the top of a footstool. That map was very small. The inside of the tray measures only 32x14 inches. Most of my maps will be built on a 2x4 foot piece of that pink insulation. Big enough to build some interesting battlefields and small enough to be portable.
My son is 5 also but has the attention span of a 5-year old. He's good for a couple of dice throws then quickly loses interest right now. I think the basic rules at that age are good enough. They get to move the figures around and roll the dice and when they beat dad there's no end to the bragging! Have fun and enjoy the Scaping!
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Here is the next chapter in our little adventure.

The Long Way Home: A HeroScape Tale
CHAPTER 2: Well of Aubria

Rhogar Dragonspine and Jorhdawn have been travelling together for two days heading back to Jorhdawn’s home. Rhogar has sworn to protect her until then. The trek has been uneventful. Jorhdawn tells Rhogar that they are less than a day from her home.
“Just ahead of us is a sacred well. It has sustained our people for centuries. In the past, when all other water sources dried up, this well has remained wet,” explains Jorhdawn. “We can stop and rest there for a while before heading into my city.”

As they approach the well, Jorhdawn senses that something is not right. Rhogar feels it too.
Ahead of them they see movement. Two creatures that at first appearance seem like large snakes are slithering across the ground. Upon closer inspection though, the beasts have four tentacle-like appendages near where the head would be tipped with serrated points. A large beak sits between the appendages, ready to devour anything in its path.
“What manner of vileness are those?” asks Rhogar in a low whisper.
Jorhdawn answers, “Gricks. That means there are more orcs in the area as well. Orcs use the gricks for hunting prey. They don’t see or smell, but they can detect living things from far away.”
“How far away?” whispers Rhogar.
“We are not safe here. In fact, we are already detected!” says Jorhdawn.
Sure enough, one of the gricks starts slithering in their direction and making loud, clicking sounds with its beak. Just at that moment, a large beast breaks through some trees, bellowing what sounded like a challenge in some guttural language.
Rhogar stands up from where they were hiding and charges forward, his great axe raised up high. A moment later Jorhdawn is right behind him throwing fireballs at the enemies and screaming, “Get away from my well!”
Moments later the two heroes clash with the beasts.

They round the low rise behind which they were hiding, Rhogar in the lead. The first grick meets them and attacks. Meanwhile, a squad of orc archers form ranks on a high bluff and rain down arrows.

Rhogar positions himself behind a tree while fighting the first grick to shield him from most of the arrows, but Jorhdawn does not have that kind of tactical sense and leaves herself exposed to the relentless barrage. Several arrows make it past her defenses. Rhogar finishes the grick with a mighty swing of his axe and moves so that Jorhdawn can shelter herself behind the tree. Jorhdawn moves into position only to be attacked by the other grick. Rhogar tries to heal her with his divine power, but does not have the concentration to do so. The grick lashes out with its tentacles and hits Rhogar. Jorhdawn slams her staff into this monster’s beak, instantly crumpling it to the ground. With the brief respite, Rhogar is finally able to concentrate enough to heal the elf girl. Not much, though.
With the gricks out of their way, the heroes rush the orc archers on the bluff. They see that there is another orc with them mounted on a great, long-toothed cat and is directing their efforts. More arrows pour down on the two as they move to get into position. Jorhdawn throws fireballs at the orcs, distracting them but with little other effect. It is enough for Rhogar to get into a position to breathe his fiery breath on them though.

Two of the archers are consumed by the flames, but the orc on the sabretooth manage to avoid the attack. Jorhdawn seizes the opportunity to smack the last archer over its head with her staff while her companion cuts down the orc and its mount in one sweep. Rhogar manages another healing for Jorhdawn.
While they were battling the orcs, the large creature from the woods has advanced and is now on the bridge and coming straight for them. Rhogar quickly rushes the beast as Jorhdawn throws another fireball at it. The dumutef brushes aside the weak blast but cannot brush aside Rhogar’s axe. Rhogar swings with all his might and buries his blade into the creature’s chest. Amazingly, the dumutef doesn’t die immediately. It staggers and finally falls over the stone rail into the rushing river below.
Out of the corner of his eye, Rhogar sees some movement. More orcs! With a mighty yell, he charges the two figures in a blind rage. Jorhdawn tries to catch up but is confronted by two orcs. She defends herself the best she can, blocking their blades and countering the best she can, but the orcs are landing blows and her strength is leaving her.

Too late, Rhogar sees that he has left his friend unaided. Furious with his mistake, Rhogar puts an end to one orc, maneuvers to get a better angle on the other one and chops it in half. Bone weary and bleeding from half a dozen wounds, Rhogar leaps back to Jorhdawn and takes one of the remaining orcs by surprise. Jorhdawn manages to take down the last one herself.

They manage to stagger over to the well before they collapse. At least the well is safe…

This battle was more evenly matched. Both Rhogar and Jorhdawn finished the game with 5 wounds and were helped by a little divine intervention in the form of some rerolls. Still it was fun and I got to play one of my custom cards.

The gricks were fairly effective, but I think I will make them a common squad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios