Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old May 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Partial Cover House Rules by Hextr1p

:: EDIT 1.17.13 ::

To those who find themselves here looking for some sort of house rule for partial cover, note that a revised rule set has been designed and uploaded in the downloads section of Heroscapers. You can access that file by clicking the link below:

LINK!

Note that the new system is a LOT easier to incorporate into games.

Also, the thread here on the forums where these new rules were discussed can be found HERE. If you get a chance to use these rules, let me know what you think. Always helpful to receive feedback.

I've been thinking quite a bit about a system of rules to incorporate into Heroscape to bring to the game some form of partial cover. Obviously over the years there have been many different discussions and incarnations of a partial cover rule set. However none of them seemed to grab my interest enough either because they were too complex, too simple, or too ambiguous in how to determine just how much partially cover a figure had. Basically, the spirit of the game was always lost to me in these rule sets.

The designers of the game early on mentioned that a common mantra to the game was, "Keep It Simple Stupid." However, deep beneath the surface of the simplicity of the rules lies vast and intricate strategies in everything from army building, movement, attacking and defending, unit synergy... and on and on.

In coming up with the basic structure for these partial cover rules, I wanted to use concepts and mechanics which were already in the game so as to make them as accessible as possible. I also wanted to try and keep them as simple as possible without making them TOO basic, allowing for a deeper mechanic outside of, "My figure is adjacent to this wall, so I add 1 defensive die." Nothing wrong with that if that's how you 'roll' (see what I did there?). But like I said, that's just too basic for me.

Why partial cover? Because I want the terrain objects in Heroscape (walls, ruins, evergreens, etc.) to do more than just ALMOST hide a figure. I want them to have more strategic significance during movement and positioning of units, as this would affect both the way an attacker moves, as well as a defender. I also want to try and give melee units a bit more of a fighting chance as they move across the battlefield, trying to out maneuver ranged units who all too often have things all too easy.

All that said, let's get into things, shall we? Note that these are still a bit rough. However, the basic concept is there for you all to see. As this thread progresses and the rules get fleshed out and finalized, I'll end up making a nice PDF version of the rules, complete with photos to illustrate different situations. You know, just like the official cats do!

Partial Cover Rules
by Hextr1p (revised 12.2.10)

Objects
(description of objects which provide partial cover)
• Terrain Tiles
• Terrain Obstacles (walls, trees, glaciers, etc.)
• Figures

Determing Partial Cover

Adjacent Objects
When defending against a non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by an adjacent object with a height of 2 or more when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may receive a partial cover bonus.

Small or Medium figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 2 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Large or Huge figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, add do not add to that figure's defense dice.

EXAMPLE 1: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to a small ruin, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus.The small ruin has a Height of 6, and Taelord has a Height of 5. Being that the Terrain Object in question has a Height greater than Taelord, he rolls 2 additional defense dice.

EXAMPLE 2: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to an evergreen tree, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus.The evergreen tree has a Height of 10. However, Taelord has landed 6 levels high, where as the evergreen is on level 1. From Taelord's base, the evergreen has a height of 4, and is therefore less than Taelord's height. Taelord adds 1 additional defense dice for his Partial Cover bonus.

EXAMPLE 3: To illustrate that the base of the object providing Partial Cover must be between the attacker and the defender. (eg., Jungle brush leaf overlapping a defending figure in front of the brush)

Non-adjacent Objects
When defending against a non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by a non-adjacent object with a height of 2 or more when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may receive a partial cover bonus.

Small or Medium figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, do not add to that figure's defense dice.

Large or Huge figures: Large or huge figures do not receive a Partial Cover Bonus when their Hit Zone is partially blocked by a non-adjacent object.

EXAMPLE: (text to come)

Stacked objects
An explanation of how to deal with objects stacked on each other. (eg., an evergreen with a Height of 10 on top of a two terrain tiles would be equal to partial cover from an object with a height of 12).

EXAMPLES:

Partial Cover adjacent to multiple objects
A defending figure never receives more than one Partial Cover bonus, even if it is adjacent to and obscured by multiple objects; however, other factors such as height Advantage may give the defending figure additional defense dice.

EXAMPLES:

Partial Cover Rules
by Hextr1p (old rules... see revised version above)

Terrain Objects
When defending against a normal non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by an adjacent terrain object when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may check for a partial cover bonus.

Small or Medium figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the terrain object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 2 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the terrain object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Large or Huge figures: Counting from the base of the figure, if the terrain object's Height is higher than the Height of the figure, add 1 to that figure's defense dice.

Counting from the base of the figure, if the terrain object's Height is equal to or lower than the Height of the figure, add do not add to that figure's defense dice.

EXAMPLE 1: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to a small ruin, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus.The small ruin has a Height of 6, and Taelord has a Height of 5. Being that the Terrain Object in question has a higher Height than Taelord, he rolls 2 additional defense dice.

EXAMPLE 2: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to an evergreen tree, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus.The evergreen tree has a Height of 10. However, Taelord has landed 6 levels high, where as the evergreen is on level 1. From Taelord's base, the evergreen has a height of 4, and is therefore is lower than Taelord's height. Taelord adds 1 additional defense dice for his Partial Cover bonus.

Partial Cover adjacent to multiple terrain objects
A defending figure never receives more than one Partial Cover bonus, even if it is adjacent to and obscured by multiple terrain objects; however, other factors such as height Advantage may give a defending figure more additional defense dice.

Figures
When defending against a normal non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially blocked by an adjacent figure when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may check for a partial cover bonus.

Small figures: If the figure adjacent to the defending small figure is size small or greater, add 1 to the defending figure's defense dice.

Medium figures: If the figure adjacent to the defending medium figure is size medium or greater, add 1 to the defending figure's defense dice.

Large figures: If the figure adjacent to the defending large figure is size medium or greater, add 1 to the defending figure's defense dice.

Huge figures: If the figure adjacent to the defending huge figure is size huge or greater, add 1 to the defending figure's defense dice.

EXAMPLE 1: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Taelord, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Taelord, the Kyrie Warrior has landed adjacent to Mimring, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar by the dragon.

Taelord checks for his Partial Cover bonus. Mimring has a size of Huge, and Taelord has a size of Medium. Because Huge is a greater size than Medium, Taelord adds 1 additional defense dice for his Partial Cover bonus.

EXAMPLE 2: Syvarris checks for Line of Sight against Mimring, who is 5 spaces away. Though Syvarris has Line of Sight on Mimring, Utgar's dragon has landed adjacent to an Arrow Grut, and his Hit Zone is partly blocked from the elf of Ullar by the Orc.

Mimring checks for his Partial Cover bonus. Mimring has a size of Huge, and the Arrow Grut has a size of Medium. Because Huge is a lesser size than Medium, Mimring does not additional defense dice for a Partial Cover bonus.

Partial Cover adjacent to multiple figures
A defending figure never receives more than one Partial Cover bonus, even if it is adjacent to and blocked by multiple figures; however, other factors such as height Advantage may give a defending figure more additional defense dice.

I realize some of the wording needs to be tightened up, but you get the idea.

Thoughts? Concerns? Ice cream?

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."

Last edited by hextr1p; January 17th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:33 AM

odbo255 has disabled reputation
Re: Partial Cover House Rules by Hextr1p

The partial cover rules seem to be based around height, what about when the partial cover is vertical instead of horizontal?

Or am I overlooking something?

Items for trade
Heroscape lives on: 3FG C3G C3V CHCG24 CMSP NM24 SoV
Tournament Maps: BoV WoV
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:41 AM
On Fire like in NBA Jam!

Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Also, what if they where on the other side of the cover, and are therefore not covered at all by it?

Can you defeat a mind such as mine?
Riddler
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Gryphon View Post
Also, what if they where on the other side of the cover, and are therefore not covered at all by it?
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p View Post
When defending against a normal non-adjacent attack, if the Hit Zone of the defending figure is partially obscured by an adjacent terrain object when the attacker checks for Line of Sight, the defending figure may check for a partial cover bonus.
Concern #1 (easy): What if a fig is partially obscured by Jungle? Do they get both bonuses, or does this bonus mean that Jungle bonuses are ignored?

Concern #2 (hard): Even a fairly simple rule like this is going to create a lot more noncombat fiddling. Is part of the hit zone obscured or just part of the base? Is that a height 10 tree or height 11 tree? Etc. Not to mention people complaing about 2 extra Defense dice being given to a fig with just its foot obscured.

I like the idea of a rule like this (it was something I fiddled with around the time I was trying to come up with a disengage rule), but I gave up because it created too many ripples in the simplicity of the game.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

Sounds pretty solid, and sticks to the whole "keep it simple" thing.

My own house rule is to add one defense dice to a ranged attack whenever a figure is adjacent to any sort of obstacle. I mean, it makes sense. If you were being shot at and you were next to a wall, tree, etc... wouldn't you take cover behind it to avoid damage?
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I agree this is a lot more simple than "If at least 50% of the hit zone is obscured, roll 1 extra defense, if 75% then roll 2 extra defense" Using something static like size a fairly easy to agree upon and using ANY obscurity keeps it simple but adds a good dynamic.

Last edited by lefton4ya; May 26th, 2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typos
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

I think this is a good start. I am interested to see where this goes
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I agree this is a lot more simple tan "If at least 50% of the hit zone is obscured, roll 1 extra defense, if 75% then roll 2 extra defense" Using something static like size a fairly easy to agree upon ANY obscurity keeps it simple but adds a good dynamic.

These are definitely some of the best cover rules I've seen. I'll have to try them out sometime, thanks for posting them

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Um, then there is no cover.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Very interesting. You could expand it to incorporate obscuring figures - not just terrain, but intervening figures - without any change to the height-based formula.

Taelord obscured by Charos vs. Taelord obscured by an Omnicron Sniper, for instance.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbo255 View Post
The partial cover rules seem to be based around height, what about when the partial cover is vertical instead of horizontal?
Not sure what you're getting at here. Could you explain your question further? Unless you're referring to the positioning of the terrain object. In which case, this wouldn't matter, being that whether or not the terrain object is horizontal (bridge wall) or vertical (evergreen tree), each has a height number.

Quote:
If this were the case, then the figure would not have a Partial Cover bonus, as Killometer points out above. This Partial Cover system works differently than that of the Ticalla Jungle, so simple adjacency doesn't give the defending figure a bonus. There are other factors involved, as noted in the rules above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Concern #1 (easy): What if a fig is partially obscured by Jungle? Do they get both bonuses, or does this bonus mean that Jungle bonuses are ignored?
They would get both bonuses. You were right. That WAS easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Concern #2 (hard): Even a fairly simple rule like this is going to create a lot more noncombat fiddling. Is part of the hit zone obscured or just part of the base? Is that a height 10 tree or height 11 tree? Etc. Not to mention people complaing about 2 extra Defense dice being given to a fig with just its foot obscured.
• If only part of the base of the figure were obscured, then no Partial Cover bonus would be added. The Hit Zone is an officially established area of a figure (the red area) on the Master side of all cards, and does not include the base of a figure.

• The height of evergreen trees and other such terrain objects is also part of the game, and players shoud be aware of the height of elements on the map. While sometimes determing the height of objects is a bit difficult if you don't usually do this during games, at least you don't have to take out a ruler or do complex equations to know that an evergreen tree's height is 10 or 11.

• As far as people complaining about just how 'partial' the Partial Cover of a figure is, the same can be said about players who complain that their figure can be targeted when only its finger is showing. Integrating some sort of Partial Cover system allows terrain objects to be more functional outside of just looking nice, or creating an obstacle a figure has to move around or climb over.

• While your points are valid, I still don't think this system takes away from the simplicity of the game in that I using elements already integrated into the official rules in a way that is easy to understand and doesn't slow down the flow of a normal game. However, if you do have any other concerns, please voice them as I want to be sure there isn't anything I'm overlooking.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

BTW, I really like these rules, Hex! They are probably the best partial cover rules I have seen and they mesh well with the existing rules, IMO.

Wish they could have been part of the original rules.

Last edited by Cavalier; May 26th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions