Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old March 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Utah monthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Me +1 and El Donas will be there.

Also, how do you plan on determining placing/matchups? How will we know who the ranking if we're switching partners each game?
I'm glad you asked. I've come up with two scenarios, and it'd be nice to get your opinion.

The first method follows standard tournament pairings - the computer will pair people up based on win/loss record (if the computer pairs the same two people up more than once as partners, I'll simply click and have it re-pair).

Let's say we get 16 players. After round 1, we'll have 8 players with a 1-0 record, and 8 players with a 0-1 record.
After round 2, we'll have 4 players with a 2-0 record, 8 players with a 1-1 record, and 4 players with a 0-2 record.
After round 3, we'll have 2 players with a 3-0 record, 6 players with a 2-1 record, 6 players with a 1-2 record, and 2 players with a 0-3 record.
Final round, we'll have the 2 undefeated players face-off, with the two highest ranked 2-1 players as their partners. The winning team will get first and second overall.

The second method is more random. I'll just have the computer make partnerships 100% random (not based on win/loss record), until the final round (have to make sure the highest ranked players duke it out final round). However, this method may make it so there aren't any undefeated players going into the final round. But the benefit to this method is that players will get to play with/against more players (with the first method, players are practically guaranteed to have to fight former allies).

So TL;DR - Method #1 is more competitive/official, but less fun (still fun though). Method #2 is more fun, but less competitive/official (still competitive/official though).

I think I (slightly) prefer the second method, because, y'know, fun but you're much more experienced - do you have any qualms with method two over method one? Or a better suggestion overall?

Last edited by The Dewk; March 21st, 2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:41 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

well, you also have to consider how you're going to count a win. Because it is a team battle format, do you plan on giving both members of the team a win? Or will it be more individual? In other words, if my teammate gets knocked out but I kill off the other team then he and I will both get a win? Or will I just get the win? Also it would seem kind of odd to do a 1V1 battle for the championship when the tournament is a team format. I think it would be more consistent and fun to have the top four players play in the championship game.

Also, when you are referring to "the computer" pairing people, how exactly is that going to be done? Because anytime I've run a tournament I've used the Heroscape Tournament Director software but that only does pairings for 1v1 battles. Do you have a system that will pair teammates as well as which opponents they will face?

Either way you decide to do it, it's going to be wonky. But since you are deciding to run this format just make sure you know how you're going to run it and then be consistent and then communicate that to the players. that's more important than anything, that way as the players we know what to expect.

As the tournament director, it can be easy to be swayed to change things because you want everyone to be happy. But I've learned that The best way to make the tournament successful is to make sure you know how it's going to run, and running it smoothly as possible.

So just let us know how you're going to do it

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:03 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
well, you also have to consider how you're going to count a win. Because it is a team battle format, do you plan on giving both members of the team a win? Or will it be more individual? In other words, if my teammate gets knocked out but I kill off the other team then he and I will both get a win? Or will I just get the win? Also it would seem kind of odd to do a 1V1 battle for the championship when the tournament is a team format. I think it would be more consistent and fun to have the top four players play in the championship game.

Also, when you are referring to "the computer" pairing people, how exactly is that going to be done? Because anytime I've run a tournament I've used the Heroscape Tournament Director software but that only does pairings for 1v1 battles. Do you have a system that will pair teammates as well as which opponents they will face?

Either way you decide to do it, it's going to be wonky. But since you are deciding to run this format just make sure you know how you're going to run it and then be consistent and then communicate that to the players. that's more important than anything, that way as the players we know what to expect.

As the tournament director, it can be easy to be swayed to change things because you want everyone to be happy. But I've learned that The best way to make the tournament successful is to make sure you know how it's going to run, and running it smoothly as possible.

So just let us know how you're going to do it
Both members of the victorious team will get marked with a win, even if one of them lost all their units before the end.

It won't be a 1v1 in the final round, I apologize if that wasn't clear. It will be the 4 highest ranked players playing for the top slots (and everyone else playing in their respective teams as well).

I have a program that does 2v2 well, though it will require me to be on top of things to make sure players aren't paired together on the same team more than once.

It will be wonky, but will honestly only be slightly more complicated than a normal format. A few minutes before we start playing, I'll go over important details and such (I've even got a bullet point list already!). Pairings will be fair, rankings will be fair, prize distribution will be fair. And above all, it's going to be fun

I'm no stranger to directing game tournaments; I've been doing it for nearly a decade now (not Heroscape, of course, which is why I appreciate your input). Consistency and fun are the number one priorities. Between @BiggaBullfrog @Scaperedude and myself consulting each other and bouncing ideas off each other (which is actually how we've been doing these monthlies; I'm just the unofficial "poster", so it may appear to be a one-man operation), I think we're good. Not a single complaint regarding these monthlies so far, and we aim to keep it that way Thanks for the questions and input, amigo!
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:33 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Great! Well we're excited to try this format!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:54 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

It would also be super fun to have a team win. Where you sign up together as team members, or if you don't have a team member and you haven't picked one you get randomly assigned one. Very cool guys.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:54 PM

DewNoHarm is surprisingly tart

Just a note on the count for the March monthly. It will be me plus all three of my boys now, not just two.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:54 PM

Oh wow! Let's see what we're up to now then.

@DewNoHarm + 3
@Scaperedude + 3
Myself + 2
@BiggaBullfrog +1
@Leaf_It + 1 to 4
@Sir Heroscape + El Donas + 1
@DeathStryker + maybe 1

That's 20 - 23 (depending on Leaf_It's final count) confirmed. That's nuts! Doesn't even take into account those who don't RSVP and the forum lurkers

And the prize table is looking sweet - two sets of different custom terrain, SoV/C3V squads and heroes, and sealed product. This is all without what the entry fees will add. I'm excited.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:41 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post

@DewNoHarm + 3
@Scaperedude + 3
Myself + 2
@BiggaBullfrog +1
@Leaf_It + 1 to 4
@DeathStryker + maybe 1

That's 20 - 23 (depending on Leaf_It's final count) confirmed. That's nuts! Doesn't even take into account those who don't RSVP and the forum lurkers

And the prize table is looking sweet - two sets of different custom terrain, SoV/C3V squads and heroes, and sealed product. This is all without what the entry fees will add. I'm excited.
Have you talked to Joe from the last tournament? If not I'll talk to him, and that might put us up another +3!! (Also I might only be bringing +2.... Still trying to figure it out.)

H E R O S C A P E
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:52 PM

That's quite the group there...this'll be crazy.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaperedude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post

@DewNoHarm + 3
@Scaperedude + 3
Myself + 2
@BiggaBullfrog +1
@Leaf_It + 1 to 4
@DeathStryker + maybe 1

Have you talked to Joe from the last tournament? If not I'll talk to him, and that might put us up another +3!! (Also I might only be bringing +2.... Still trying to figure it out.)
I actually did text Joe on Monday, but didn't get a response. However, I talked to Crashman and his buddy David today, and they're both in, so you only bringing two others won't cripple our numbers too much
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:37 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

My group all died in a horrible fire. Also I died in that same horrible fire.

In other news, I'm the only one coming this month. They said they'd come next month though.

EDIT: if the point limit was just 10 points higher... darn it.

Last edited by Leaf_It; March 25th, 2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old March 26th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Another great monthly yesterday, thanks everyone! Huge thanks again to @The Dewk for being the head of it all! True and I had a great time and enjoyed seeing y'all! The team format was super fun! I'll be posting a battle report sometime.

Also, after everyone left we found two D20s. One looks like the Vydar one (I don't have one for comparison, but it's a blue with black swirls) and the other is red and yellow speckled. Just in case anyone was wondering where their lucky die went. I'll give them back... for a price.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; March 26th, 2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: That price would be you attending the next monthly

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events