Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
The Book of Ulginesh

The Book of Ulginesh
Defenders of Kinsland - Collection 8 - "Elves"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Bright moonlight flashes off the end of an emerald staff throwing green sparks of light dancing in the elf's eyes. Ulginesh, eldest and leader of The Nine, links minds with his companions below and shows them what he sees from his winged-mount, they use this vision to find their way through the tangled wood at great speed.

The Order of the Crimson Sigil races with all their might to aid the princess Kyntela. She carries the Dire Stone and the wolves are on the hunt. (Hasbro)

(Images courtesy of Truth )
A. No. Although the two terms are semantically similar, only figures explicitly classed as "Wizards" are subject to Ulginesh's Mind Link.

Q. MIND LINK : Summoning for Activation :
If the first turn with Ulginesh''s Mind Link is used by Emirroon to summon an elf wizard to within 6 clear-sight spaces of Ulginesh who had not previously been in range of Mind Link, may the second turn with Mind Link be taken with that summoned wizard?A. Yes. The wording on the card states that "any Wizard taking a turn instead of Ulginesh must be within 6 clear sight spaces before moving." At the moment of activation, the second wizard is within 6 spaces, and so is subject to Mind Link.

Synergy Benefits Received

-ACOLARH : Leaf of the Home Tree Aura
As an Elf, Ulginesh may benefit from Acolarh’s LEAF OF THE HOME TREE AURA defensive bonus.
-ACOLARH : Ullar’s Amulet
As a follower of Ullar, Ulginesh may benefit from Acolarh’s ULLAR’S AMULET movement bonus.
-EMIRROON : Elven Summoning Spell
As an elf, Ulginesh may benefit from Emirroon's ELVEN SUMMONING SPELL ability.
-KYNTELA GWYN : Strength of Oak Aura 1
As an elf, Ulginesh may benefit from Kyntela Gwyn's STRENGTH OF OAK AURA 1 defense bonus.
Synergy Benefits Offered

-ARKMER : Staff of Lerkintin : As an Elf Wizard, Ulginesh may aid Arkmer with his STAFF OF LERKINTIN Defense enhancement.

-CHARDRIS : Fire Strike Special Attack : As an Elf Wizard, Ulginesh may aid Chardris with his FIRE STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK.
-EMIRROON : Elven Summoning Spell : As an elf, Ulginesh may aid Emirroon with his ELVEN SUMMONING SPELL d20 ability.
-JOHRDAWN : Rain of Flame Special Attack : As an Elf Wizard, Ulginesh may aid Johrdawn with her Rain of Flame Special Attack.
-OTONASHI : Tricky Speed 4 As a unit with a Tricky personality, Ulginesh may aid Otonashi with her Tricky Speed 4 movement bonus.
- MIND LINK: ELF WIZARDS:
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking and Master Index
As the keystone of the Elf Wizard army, Ulginesh has few substitutes... unless you just play something else. B
Ulginesh
Army Ideas?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...light=Ulginesh
Sonlen: an Archmage is not a wizard:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...light=Ulginesh
Emirroon: Summon for Activation with Mind Link
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=19874
Eckels's examination of Elf army options:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...pm&pmid=120514

Unit Strategy Review
TBA

Last edited by lefton4ya; January 26th, 2023 at 04:16 PM. Reason: VC synergy added
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Ulginesh

This guy is the key to the elf army. He pretty much doubles the efficiency of an order marker. If you're playing an elf army get him. If you're fighting an elf army, have a plan to take him out.

Seriously, if you can take this guy out, the whole elf army starts to fall apart. The loss of his mindlink ability and his elf wizard status dramatically reduces the damage the elves can do. Most of the games I've played since Wave 8 have had the elves, and the only time they lost was when Ulginesh died early on.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

Ok, besides the never-ending synergy, what else is this guy good with?

Looking at the basics, he has a good move, decent ranged attack, and he can fly to height advantage. That's a definite plus.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Ok, besides the never-ending synergy, what else is this guy good with?

Looking at the basics, he has a good move, decent ranged attack, and he can fly to height advantage. That's a definite plus.
I know, he's fantastic! Even WITHOUT his Elf Wizard Synergy, he has a 13-space threat range, WITH FLYING! Not to mention the fact it's a normal attack, so, height advantage. Great figure.

I assume. Still haven't gotten him...

*prays to UPS gods*
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In Playing him the major downfall I've run into is his size. Although the pegasus is really cool, it gives him a huge disadvantage when trying to hide from ranged attacks.
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:15 PM

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
In Playing him the major downfall I've run into is his size. Although the pegasus is really cool, it gives him a huge disadvantage when trying to hide from ranged attacks.
Don't forget to take a few turns with Ulginesh, especially when there is height available. LoS is only a bad thing on Defense, and that flying, ranged shot certainly has its time and place. With the right amount of turns actually taken with Ulginesh, you can make an opponent very wary of going after him when he's sitting in a convenient spot.

~Spite, Ulgily
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
VIG & Battleship Galaxies Weasel

P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Keller View Post
As an elf Ulginesh may aid Emiroon's ability to summon other elves
Wow, just wow. Thanks P_J_K. In my defense, the new elves have so much synergy that when I PM the books to Dnutt, I have to leave out the bios and images, otherwise it doesn't all fit in 1 message. Still, good eye.

I added Arkmer, Chardris, and Johrdawn.

Emirroon's synergy is under "Benefits Received," since it can transport Ulginesh out of trouble. Emirroon doesn't actually need Ulginesh to make the power work. Ulginesh is only on the receiving end of the Spell.

Thanks for your help, P_J_K.
What I was going for on the benefits offered was Emiroon being able to add 1 (cumulative) to his D20 summoning roll when Ulginesh (or any other elf) is adjacent.

I can see how the synergys are piling up as more product comes out - good luck with that

And I was glad to contribute. Our community is so active that normally somebody has already said what i was going to before I can say it.

The books are great - after the heroscape News section the books are what I delve into most.

Thank you guys for all your hard work.
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I have a couple of Ulginesh questions that I haven't seen asked, and I couldn't find with search.

1. Do Ulginesh's wings block "clear sight" for activating other characters? I'd say yes. If so, can you flip him and then activate other wizards? I'd say no to this one.

2. What if Ulginesh dies after activating the first wizard but before the second. Can the second one still go?

That second one actually came up in a game---my opponent wanted to use Jorhdawn's special in a way in which Ulginesh might take enough collateral damage to kill him. My opponent decided to activate another wizard first and Jorhdawn second as it made no difference in this case.

EDIT: While the clarification in the original post doesn't explicitly answer #2, it makes it pretty clear that the second wizard is activated after the first one has taken his/her turn. This means that the answer to #2 should be no. Do others agree?

Last edited by ollie; July 9th, 2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Answering my own question.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

ollie,

I agree with your reasoning on both. While you couldn't "flip" Ulgy though, you could "adjust" both him and any Elf he's trying to see. With their staves I'd say that in practice you can nearly always adjust anyone close enough into view (if the wings were the only problem - walls and cliffs need not apply).

~Aldin, killed by Jorhdawn's fiery love

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Also, Ollie, don't forget that taking your first turn with Emirroon opens 3 potential avenues to bring your second wizard within sight of Ulginesh:

1)Summon wizard #2 within sight of Ulgy.
2)Summon Ulgy within sight of wizard #2.
3)Summon both.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
ollie,

I agree with your reasoning on both. While you couldn't "flip" Ulgy though, you could "adjust" both him and any Elf he's trying to see. With their staves I'd say that in practice you can nearly always adjust anyone close enough into view (if the wings were the only problem - walls and cliffs need not apply).

~Aldin, killed by Jorhdawn's fiery love
Thank you Aldin. I got into the habit of playing that you can't adjust figures that you aren't taking a turn with. Even after finding out it's allowed it never seems to occur to me.

EDIT: Thanks spiteofthedice too, though I think when it came up Emirroon was either dead or out of the action---my opponent was trying to get as much firepower as possible and activating Jorhdawn and Chardris.
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
With their staves I'd say that in practice you can nearly always adjust anyone close enough into view (if the wings were the only problem - walls and cliffs need not apply).
I was curious to see if this was true. I think that there are some blind spots behind and to the right of Ulginesh: three hexes or more in a straight line from Ulginesh's back hex. I used Kyntela Gwyn, for svelteness, and insisted that the base of the figures must be entirely on the raised part of the hex. (Is this correct, or can they overhang as long as they don't reach the next hex?)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units