Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old April 18th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

I don't know how easy those trees will be to replicate. To have the canopy sit on the trunk and branches just right and to be able to have another canopy sit on top of a tree to make it taller. Then there are the different size trees. With these coming prepainted, that's an extra benefit. I have a ton of stuff to paint and craft as it is, so for me, it's worth the money to have something I can just take out of the box and use.

Thanks for the tip about Wylochs Armory. I'll look him up.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 18th, 2019, 09:54 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I don't know how easy those trees will be to replicate. To have the canopy sit on the trunk and branches just right and to be able to have another canopy sit on top of a tree to make it taller. Then there are the different size trees. With these coming prepainted, that's an extra benefit. I have a ton of stuff to paint and craft as it is, so for me, it's worth the money to have something I can just take out of the box and use.

Thanks for the tip about Wylochs Armory. I'll look him up.
Oh, I just mean that type of trees for that setting. It would be pretty tough to duplicate the trees with the moulded removable tops like that. Itd be a challenge to 3d print them that way too. They definitely have some value to them. Ill probably use my next 100 bucks on more legion boosters. i have all my legion primed now, including my box of snowtroopers I had got last. Now just gotta get painting them. After looking over the manuals and cards Id say Im most excited to play legion, and most intimidated to learn fallout wasteland warfare. So many tokens. Since Im a maker of dice bowls and dice towers, I have already made a handful, but am making genre specific ones for each game genre. 2 post apoc ones for walking dead and fallout, a couple of starwars ones for legion, imp assault, and x wing, I have a complete set of heroscape generals bowls, and then Ill make a few more random ones. I am making a punisher bowl that has the outside edge lined with 7.62x39 empty shell casings from when I went to the gun range last weekend to sight in a red dot sight on my AK pistol. Its kinda fun to have stuff like that on the game table. I might even leave the gun powder residue on them for an added effect. i think after I get the rest of my planned terrain finished Im going to do a massive photo drop of all my stuff and post it on here to make up for my picture laziness.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 18th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I'm sure that plain trees of a similar style could be printed solid as one piece trees pretty easy for those that know what their doing. You are better off crafting your stuff and putting the money towards Legion.

Since you've played Imperial Assault, you should have some understanding of the FFG system with cards and keywords etc. So it shouldn't be too hard to pick up. You can only do the Move Action twice, otherwise an action can only be done once. You only get two actions, and card actions count as one of the two actions, unless it's a Free Card Action, which doesn't count against the two action limit. But, the move action is still the only action that can be done more than once. There are some abilities may allow an attack or something else, and those don't count against the limit of one time only (except move) per turn, because if they don't say "action " after it, then it's not considered to be an action vs your limit.

Other than that, it's a matter of learning the upgrade cards and command cards. Though the biggest thing people have problems with is cover and LoS. Before the game players have to agree on what is considered soft and hard cover, and what is cover for what. Troopers are easy because they are small, but vehicles are the ones where you need to pay more attention to.

Fallout does have a lot more details going on and a ton of symbols and icons to learn. After learning them, it gets easier and makes sense more. But the basic rules seem easy enough, it's just that the weapons and items have so many different things going on. I'm hoping to give it a try within the next month or so.

Old April 20th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Prickly Cactus

I got a little more terrain done. Yesterday I made a quick and quirky rock formation with a few pieces of cypress mulch glued together and glued into a small scrap piece of pink foamboard that I carved out. I added some turf here and there to add a little color, as well as tucked some grass tufts into some of the gaps where I carved too wide

I also finally got around to converting my palm trees from Heroscape to be more presentable on the game table for many of the other miniatures games I play. I gave the bushes and tree a light brown wash to make it not so clean looking and then drybrushed the palm leaves with a couple lighter colors of green. I glued sand on an oval mdf base I got at Adepticon and then primed, painted and drybrushed it before attaching the bushes and trees. For the tree, I had to score with a razor knife around the bottom to break the glue seal, then wiggle it out where the peg at the bottom was seated into the scape base. I drilled a hole in the mdf base and glued the peg of the tree into that and cut off the excess peg sticking out underneath. I clipped the bottom little protrusions off of the plants, the ones used to connect to the scape base. For the think bush, I drilled a little hole in the base to slide that into since it didn't really have much size at the bottom to just glue to the surface. Then I added some turf here and there so it wasn't totally desert committed on the base. Then sealed it all with Dullcote. 1 down, 5 to go. Kind of wish I hadn't sold that 3rd set I originally had, but 6 is better than none, plus I have the bush pieces to convert, as well as the smaller palm trees I got off of Amazon (still have a lot of those in the bag yet to base).

The Scape tree is a bit more substantial than the cheap ones off Amazon.

I had also been working on a mini during the week for my buddy Brian to use when we play Rangers of Shadow Deep. This is his elf rangers with silver hair and painted in the colors (blue and white) of his favorite sports team, the Indianapolis Colts.

Old April 20th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice terrain work. That first one looks pretty sweet for just being bits.
What paint do you use? Looks like it does not melt the foam.
Old April 20th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Nice terrain work. That first one looks pretty sweet for just being bits.
What paint do you use? Looks like it does not melt the foam.
Thanks!

I seal the pink foam with pva glue (Elmers). You can thin it down a little with water if need be to get it to go on easier, but I didn't have to with this little bit. On some earlier bigger pieces I did, I sealed it with a product we use at work called Gardz. But essentially, it's a water based sealer we use to seal torn drywall before patching it. When the top layer of drywall gets torn and exposes the brown layer just above the gypsum, we sand it a little and then seal it with Gardz to keep the paper from blistering when we patch it. So I tried it on the pink foam and it worked well. But pva glue works great too. Then for example, I spray primed the mulch/foam combo with black spray primer, then I went over it with a grey spray primer, but not so much to make it solid grey. After it all dried, I drybrushed it with some lighter acrylic grey colors, glued on some Woodland Scenics turf and a couple grass tufts and then sprayed it with Dullcote.

Last edited by Hahma; April 20th, 2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Great tips.
Old April 20th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Prickly Cactus

Once I learn new things that work, be it products or procedures, it makes things go a bit quicker and I have more confidence. Having picked up different types of basing materials over the years (2 colors of Woodland Scenics turf, various types of grass tufts, different sizes of sand and grit and static grass ), it makes things quicker to make different basing schemes.

I usually brush pva on a base, either before or after the object is mounted to it. Then prime. Thus gives a nice base tecture that I can just drybrush ti have a dirt look or add other materials to it. I have a system for that, where I have a piece of copier paper I put down, then I apply glue to the base and if the model is already on the base, then I dip it in a cup of sand I have and then let it sit there while I glue another base. Then set the models on the paper and when dried, I knock off the extra sand and loosely fold the paper to funnel the sand baking into the cup. If the base is without a mini, then I just put it on the paper after gluing and sprinkle the sand on it. I do similar thing when applying turf, grit or static grass, but never dip a base in the containers, always sprinkle while on the paper.

Being a professional painter, I'm used to time management when it comes to things drying. You have to have a plan so that while something os drying, you have something else to do and then come back for the next step after something is dried. It's helped me be more productive in my hobbying.

Old April 20th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Awesome. Now I just need to convince you to make something for C3G.
Old April 20th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It IS our ten year anniversary.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 20th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Awesome. Now I just need to convince you to make something for C3G.
My designing and playtesting days are behind me. I don't play well with others , can't deal with the drama and am always behind as it is with my hobbying. That's my passion now and I've even had to tame that down over the past 8 months, or be divorced, literally. My time with C3G was brought up in "the discussion ".

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It IS our ten year anniversary.

Well I did sell off some figures in honor of the 10th year anniversary

Old April 20th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'm glad Mrs. Hahma is keeping you in line. It's important to have boundaries.

Well, we'll be toasting your time in the group this year, but I'm glad you got out before you lost anything important!!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures