Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old December 26th, 2013, 01:49 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: X-Wing

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to spend 50$-60$ specifically on to start an X-wing collection? A core set, obviously, but what expansions go best with a beginner collection?

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm planning to start an X-Wing collection too. I really like all the Rebel Fighters, but I want to get stuff that will be interesting on the table.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My suggestion is perhaps start with an expansion ship from both the Rebels and the Imperials, that way you can get a little diversity on both sides of the battlefield.

I can tell you from experience, though, and I'm sure anyone who plays this game can/will certainly attest to this, but this is Heroscape all over again. What I mean is, when HS first came out and the booster packs were available, and the terrain expansion packs were available, all we did was go buy up all the 'Scape we could (or could afford) because we wanted to field 4 squads of Knights, or 3 Blade Gruts, or whatever. X-Wing will do this to you.

Once you start, you can't stop.

It's a wonderfully great game, and the gameplay is excellent, but the reality is that sooner or later you'll end up wanting all the ships. So going back to the original question as to which expansion(s) to get, get whatever you think you'd enjoy playing because you'll own them all anyway!

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; December 26th, 2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Hope that helped more than hindered ;-)
Old December 26th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Buy two starter sets. You'll need those extra pieces with the games.

You'll want to buy 2 of each of the small ships (1 more each of the ones in that come in the starter set, since they have different cards with them) and one of each of Large Ships.

Good luck.
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:45 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Should I really start with two starter boxes? I'll probably buy a second one later, but for someone completely new? I'd be willing to drop around $60-$70 on it to start my collection and fill in the gaps later.

My conundrum:

Buy two starters or one starter, two TIEs and an X-wing? They'd get me the same number of ships each and one is a bit more costly, but I like Wedge Antilles a lot, having read X-wing novels... Any suggestion?

Last edited by elvenwizard9; December 26th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

The extra base set gives you the extra dice and movement templates so that players don't keep having to share them. It's more of a convenience that makes games go faster, not to mention getting the additional X-Wing and 2 Tie Fighters.

But...if that's something you want to get later after you start out with more variety of ships, that's cool too and will work

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
The extra base set gives you the extra dice and movement templates so that players don't keep having to share them. It's more of a convenience that makes games go faster, not to mention getting the additional X-Wing and 2 Tie Fighters.

But...if that's something you want to get later after you start out with more variety of ships, that's cool too and will work
Well, I'm too much of a Stackpole fan to pass up Wedge, so I stuck with one starter and three expansions. Now, where is my Corran Horn pilot?

Old December 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
Quote:

Well, I'm too much of a Stackpole fan to pass up Wedge, so I stuck with one starter and three expansions. Now, where is my Corran Horn pilot?
Not here yet, but there is a thread on BGG that offers fan-made custom ideas for his card. Maybe those will give you some ideas to play with.
Old December 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
Quote:

Not here yet, but there is a thread on BGG that offers fan-made custom ideas for his card. Maybe those will give you some ideas to play with.
Awesome! I have enough faith in FFG for them to include him eventually; they included Tycho and Salm, didn't they? Once I finally get my hands on this game I'm gonna have to look at that thread again...

It would be awesome to have the HoSS release a Corran Horn unit at the same time as FFG's Corran Horn Pilot.

Old December 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

As others said, you'll definitely want a second Core set eventually (relatively cheap way to get 3 more ships, and the extra dice are very handy), but starting with a little variety to help you figure out what you like is good, too.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:07 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I found some awesome custom cards (not mine) HERE.

While looking for the above, I was browsing some X-Wing forums, and came across a random post saying something to the effect of: "I could totally see the X-Wing customs community taking off to the extent Heroscape's did". Made me smile.

BTW- if anyone has extra Unique pilot cards from the expansions for the X-wing, TIE Fighter, and/or TIE Interceptor, I'd be willing to trade for those.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
While looking for the above, I was browsing some X-Wing forums, and came across a random post saying something to the effect of: "I could totally see the X-Wing customs community taking off to the extent Heroscape's did". Made me smile.
Awesome!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures