Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 15th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Schism's Personal Custom Collection

I encourage you, just as I encourage all designers, to make a design for yourself first. Make it something you really believe in. Don't worry about how SoV judges will vote. You can't control that. They like it; they don't like it; who cares. Make it for yourself. If they don't like this one, and you *really* want to have a design in the SoV, maybe they'll like the next.

I like where this is headed. Keep tinkering, and make it yours.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 15th, 2021 at 11:01 AM. Reason: so far, so good!
Old August 16th, 2021, 10:32 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: SchismaticSounds Custom's

@Shiftrex @Sir Heroscape @superfrog @Dad_Scaper @Astroking112

Phoa Ra is coming nicely. With subject of an unpainted model likely being an issue, 4 other available painted figure's have been brought to my attention as alternatives, courtesy of Sir Heroscape.

With each different model, there is almost a new design entirely.
Here are the 4 options with these changes.

Changes to note:
Spoiler Alert!

PHOA RA - The Deserter
Spoiler Alert!
PHOA RA - The Desert Lich B
Spoiler Alert!
PHOA RA - "The Crypt Guardian" (Card Updated 8/19/21)
Spoiler Alert!
PHOHRA - The Sand Witch (Name temporary for humor)
Spoiler Alert!

Previous version
Spoiler Alert!

Current updated version (8/20/21)
Spoiler Alert!

Update: I've decided to trail with option #2 and #3.

Initial tests
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; August 30th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old August 16th, 2021, 10:43 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: SchismaticSounds Custom's

It looks like your process is underway. The mind at work!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 19th, 2021, 07:12 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: SchismaticSounds Home Custom's

SHAH'NTE - Harpy

I've always wanted to have a Harpy custom, but could never find a decent model. Scrapped this together. Fits with Brontos Greek mythology theme.

Figure name: Aphemia The Dissonant Song 35/45

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 19th, 2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:35 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Is Phoa Ra based on something? I'm not familiar with the name or Egyptian linguistics, and each of the three miniatures that are pictured imply a different culture. Personally, I really like the small mummy faction, whereas the generic undead units feel a bit more saturated.

Phoa Ra The Desert Lich
The range for the normal attack adds a nice bit of tension to Unholy Drain in theory, albeit when coupled with the heal, it might become a bit frustrating to go against. Personally, I think that Cursed Spirit works well enough with either of the two effects (either the negative spirit or the automatic wound). Focusing on one of the two would streamline the design a bit, and the automatic wound upon death is already a pretty unique power that opponents would have to play around.

Phoa Ra
I like this sculpt a lot more than the other one. I believe that there's also a mummy in the latest Pathfinder wave Bestiary Unleashed, if you're still looking for alternatives. It's a bit weird to call it a Guard, though, given that it seems to be wearing a
nemes nemes
. Tough seems like something that could be dropped--there's definitely potential for frustration from lucky heals, an automatic shield, and a negative spirit on a bonding hero, and Unholy Smite/Drain and Cursed Spirit make for an interesting enough card on their own, IMO.

Shah'nte
I really like the idea of a harpy, especially under Valkrill. Flutter is a nice reuse from the Quorik Warwitch. The theme of pesk doesn't fully land right now, though--if the idea is that she's agitating figures of a certain size, then a defense drop rather than an attack buff would convey that a bit better along with tying into Valkrill's overarching faint debuff gameplay themes. Also, why does Pesk only work against medium or larger figures?
Old August 19th, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Is Phoa Ra based on something? I'm not familiar with the name or Egyptian linguistics, and each of the three miniatures that are pictured imply a different culture. Personally, I really like the small mummy faction, whereas the generic undead units feel a bit more saturated.

Phoa Ra The Desert Lich
The range for the normal attack adds a nice bit of tension to Unholy Drain in theory, albeit when coupled with the heal, it might become a bit frustrating to go against. Personally, I think that Cursed Spirit works well enough with either of the two effects (either the negative spirit or the automatic wound). Focusing on one of the two would streamline the design a bit, and the automatic wound upon death is already a pretty unique power that opponents would have to play around.

Phoa Ra
I like this sculpt a lot more than the other one. I believe that there's also a mummy in the latest Pathfinder wave Bestiary Unleashed, if you're still looking for alternatives. It's a bit weird to call it a Guard, though, given that it seems to be wearing a nemes. Tough seems like something that could be dropped--there's definitely potential for frustration from lucky heals, an automatic shield, and a negative spirit on a bonding hero, and Unholy Smite/Drain and Cursed Spirit make for an interesting enough card on their own, IMO.

Shah'nte
I really like the idea of a harpy, especially under Valkrill. Flutter is a nice reuse from the Quorik Warwitch. The theme of pesk doesn't fully land right now, though--if the idea is that she's agitating figures of a certain size, then a defense drop rather than an attack buff would convey that a bit better along with tying into Valkrill's overarching faint debuff gameplay themes. Also, why does Pesk only work against medium or larger figures?
Great feedback and questions.
Phoa Ra is just an anagram for Pharaoh that sounded good (minus an "H") being similar to Sudemas inversive name.
Good point on mummy faction via undead vs undead.

I'm pretty set on keeping the wound and the defense debuff as well as allowing it to affect a unique squad, as would a buff spirit.

Phoa Ra the Desert Lich - was fun, though as you said possibly frustrating against. I liked the design because it remained a bit closer to my original designs intention. Now I've decided to change the name to the name of who the model is based on, Tar-Baphon and change the general to Valkrill, dropping Cursed Spirit. May work on it again some.

Phoa Ra - That's true that guard might not work because of this and may make the bonding feel forced though I also don't see why not in some ways, which digs into what the background of the guards themes are. What are they guarding? Someone, some thing?

Being physically same appearance wise, it seems like tough would be an assumed trait for the mummy, at least that’s how think about it. I had not updated that post, but decided to remove unholy smite. I could now see it both ways, maybe keeping unholy smite and removing tough. But as I've gone, unholy smite has been removed and left for Tar-Baphon.

Shah'nte - I suppose my reasoning for pest could be that a harpy would not be as inclined to bother a smaller creature as a larger one. My first thought that originated the ability was a scene in Jason and the Argonauts where the 2 harpies harass the old blind man. Subtracting a defense would be appropriate though! Being under Valkrill. Even though I think subtracting defense can be overused.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; August 20th, 2021 at 01:28 AM.
Old August 21st, 2021, 01:54 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Point Total: 520 points
Map: The Crypt
Glyphs: Disengage, Holdir, 1 TG

Player 1 - Army: Phoa Rha, Crypt Guardian x2, Chainfighters x3, Tomb Skeletons x5, Marcu
Player 2 - Army: MacDirk Warriors x4, Alastair MacDirk, Heirloom

General Battle Report/Flow of game

Within The Crypt….something has been awakened that should not have been. Will Heirloom and Alastair get out with the treasure they sought?? Or will they join the ranks of the unead residents? And even if they do get out, will they be cursed forever????

Round 1
Heirloom Mage Hands the Treasure glyph for Alastair and it turns out to be Defense +1. MacDirks slow roll. Meanwhile, the Skeletons start moving and a Crypt + Rha also

Round 2
T1 - A chainfighter gets in potential 2nd turn range to snag Alastair but Heirloom sees it coming and Blasts the CF away. Also putting a wound on a Mummy
T2 – Rha and a Crypt move in closer while Heirloom takes out two skeletons
T3 – Alastair decides to risk the moving in and puts 2 more hits on the Cyrpt (3 total), taking an overextended wound.

Round 3
T1 – CF grabs MacDirk and puts 1 wound on him. MacDirk puts 2 wounds onto the 2nd Crypt G.
T2- Rah attacks down on MacDirk (2 hits) misses Soul Drain. Crypt misses. Alastair puts 1 more wound on the 2nd Crypt (3), but the 6 attack Highlanders run through skeletons and kill the first Crypt.
T3 – Rah misses an attack down on Al and just misses Soul Drain (16+2 miss). Crypt fails his attack. Alastair wipes out the 2nd Crypt guardian, but Rha only takes one wound thanks to height + tough

Round 4
T1 – Undead win a key initaitve and Rha kills MacDirk to drop squads down to 2 attack (Does Rha still get to roll for Soul Drain? I would have wanted to to eliminate a wound. I rolled and it was a miss). There are still a lot of MacDirks left though and the next several turns are skeletons vs. MacDirks…..

Eventually it got down to 10 MacDirks and Heirloom vs. 5 Skeletons, 2 CF, Marcu, Rha (4 life + Defense glyph)

The Macdirks surrounded Heirloom while he Force Orbed Phoa Rha while Rha tried to chew his way through the MacDirks….

Rha got through 5 MacDirks before the force orbs added up. Rha healed one time.
This left 5 Skellies, 3 CF, Marcu vs. 7 MacDirks, Heirloom (1 wound and CURSED)

The chainfighter came one by one, and put a few wounds on Heirloom (-1 def) until he took them out claiming the Defense glyph in the process. The skeletons came out and managed to finish off Heirloom leavening:

7 MacDirks vs. 3 Skeletons, Marcu. The superior numbers of the Highlanders took the win.

Few escaped with their lives and those that remained were cursed with they had seen and lived through and the memories of those who didn’t.
Which units survived? 4 MacDirk Warriors

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Damage:
3 attacks did 2 wounds on Alastair,
6 attacks killed 4 MacDirks
1 soul drain killed another
Curse did 1 wound to Heirloom

Tough: Used a lot, saved 2 wounds
Soul Drain: 1/11
-Cursed Spirit went onto Heirloom reduced 12 defense rolls

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Personally for me, tough and Life having figures are a nightmare to play against, so I groan when I see the Crypt Guardians and did so with Rha (unless I have a dragon!).

This bore out to me somewhat with the grindy nature of his stand in the midgame. It was a bit of an odd midgame since the 2 attack MacDirks were going to really be futile in attacking but Heirloom was still on the board. The threat of a heal is pretty scary, I like that it is somewhat tempered by the high roll. But I still am very concerned about a 3 defense, 5 life figure with tough that can heal, even if it is a low success rate. I will say I didn’t find it a problem in this game though.

Cursed Spirit is a fun concept and I really like how it played out in this game with Heirloom having to stick out a lot of attacks with -1 defense. If the defense treasure hadn’t been in play the Chainfighters probably take out Heirloom and that’s enough to give that side the win.

2 comments about soul drain, and I’m not a rules expert
1) As I read the wording the Crypt Guardians wouldn’t give the bonus to Rha as Curse of the Mummy reads ‘when you choose an opponent’s figure for a special power’ And Soul Drain reads ‘after attacking’. My interpretation is that you didn’t choose an opponent for a special power to activate soul drain (it activates after attacking). I could be interpreting that wrong, but regardless I’m sure it’s fixable to convey the correct mechanic
2) Can I still roll for Soul Drain if I killed my opponent? I played you could, although it didn’t matter as the one time I hit Soul Drain it was after a failed attack.

I like Cursed Spirit. 2 notes about that:
1) Unlimited range seems a bit odd. If Syvarris kills Rha from 9 spaces away (or Deadeye from 10) the Curse still hits.
2) I do feel like it’s overly punitive to damage the killing figure just because it’s already so brutal to get through Rha (as I already have been stating Tough + 5 life + 3 defense + healing) Your reward for getting through all that?? Auto wound + CURSED

Overall He plays like a buffed up Crypt Guardian. I like Cursed Spirit, but I’m not sure overall I like the idea of a buffed up Crypt Guardian. He does seem priced about right after this game for what he brought to the table.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 05:30 AM

I'm thinking about giving Phoa Rah a shot in the pre SoV soon.
Here is the latest rendition
Spoiler Alert!

RE UPDATED Current Rendition 9/9/21

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; September 9th, 2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old August 30th, 2021, 11:02 PM

Re: SchismaticSounds Home Custom's (8/30/21)

OSTEFA ORIGINAL
Spoiler Alert!

Current Ostefa Rendition 9/9/21

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; September 9th, 2021 at 02:46 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 09:37 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: SchismaticSounds Home Custom's (8/31/21)

Point Total: 500 points
Map: Wyrmwalk
Glyphs: 4 Treasure Glyphs

Player 1 - Army: Red Mantis Blade Dancers x3, Moltenclaw, Ostefa
Player 2 - Army: Goblin Slashers x4, Bugbear Bashers x2, Ziggo, Suskra

General Battle Report/Flow of game

Round 1
Slashers and a Basher charge forward into the maw of Moltenclaw. The damage is 1 wound on Moltenclaw and 2 dead slashers (1 wound on Basher)
Moltenclaw has set up on lava field just outside his SZ while the goblins have split up but pushed aggressively, and with 4 activations they have snuck a goblin into the startzone and attacked the Mantis, but blocked on attacks so far.

Round 2

The Mantis come out and clear out the approaching goblins while Moltenclaw kill the front Basher. Moltenclaw takes 3 wounds in this fight, but the Mantis block everything.

Dead: 5 Goblins, 1 Basher, 4 wounds on Moltenclaw

Round 3
More goblins rush forward met by Moltenclaw fire and Red Mantis Blades. Tolls are taken on both sides. Ziggo takes 3 wounds from a Moltenclaw blast. The goblins are only able to knock out 2 of the Blade Dancers while taking heavy losses

Matchup: 7 Slashers, Basher, Ziggo (1), Suskra vs. Moltenclaw (2 life), 4 Mantis, Ostefa

Round 4
One Mantis moves into the opposing Startzone and puts a wound on a Basher. But this round has a lot more positioning as Suskra and the Goblins pod up their remaining forces as does Ostefa and the other bugs. Ostefa takes a wound in the start zone. But kills the offending Slasher.

Matchup: 6 Slashers, Basher (2), Ziggo, Suskra vs. Moltenclaw (2 life), 3 Mantis, Ostefa (3 life)

Round 5
Suskra and Ostefa go head to head. Suskra puts a 5th wound on Moltenclaw, kills a Mantis, but then Ostefa steps in. They exchange a wound each until Ostefa rolls 3 skulls and a 4th Skull on Ice Lance to bury the wolf. The Squad then leap and start laying out the remaining bunched Goblins including killing Ziggo

Matchup: 3 Slashers, Basher (2) vs. Moltenclaw (1 life), 2 Mantis, Ostefa (2 life)

Round 6
More battles, Order markers get tricky, but Ostefa and the Mantis each take down a goblin. Basher takes a lava wound, and 1 Mantis dies

Matchup: 1 Slasher, Basher (1) vs. Moltenclaw (1), 1 Mantis, Ostefa (2 life)

Round 7
-Slasher kills Moltenclaw, but Ostefa blocks
-Ostefa kills Basher
-Ostefa blocks
-Mantis kills Slasher
Winners: 1 Mantis, 2 life Ostefa

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
-Ice Carapace: 4
-Lance (1/2)
Normal Attacks
5v2 killed Slasher
5v3 1 wound on Suskra
5v3 2 wounds on Suskra
4v2 kills Slasher
4v5 blocked by Basher
4v5 1 wound Basher

Damage:
4 wounds on Suskra, 1 wound Basher, 2 Slashers (~120)

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

-I really like the look of this mini. Fits very well with the Red Mantis on the field.
-Ostefa had a very nice game due to the Mantis and Moltenclaw really thinning out the goblins so I was able to get 1v1 hero battles (vs. Suskra and then vs. a Basher). You don’t really want Ostefa involved in squad battles since there is only 1 attack per activation and no bonding. The hero killing damaging potential is nice though.
-I would recommend bumping Carapace up to 2 defense bonus. That makes it a little more sturdy against squads and accentuates the effect when it does get punched through.
-I also wanted to comment that I felt a little disconnect between the personality of Merciful and the power ability name of ‘Lance of the Cold Heart’ The name Cold heart emits a conflicting theme with Merciful personality to me. I’d consider a different personality.
-After this one test, I’d probably also consider a point drop too. I know you probably don’t want much overlap with the 80 point Mantis, but I think 80 or 85 would be a better price point with the bump on Carapace.
Old September 9th, 2021, 09:58 PM

Re: SchismaticSounds Home Custom's (9/9/21)

2 New "in the works" additions.
Kapak and Sir Tristan

Kapak - Draconian Sentinel

Sir Tristan - Human Champion

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 19th, 2021 at 03:47 AM.
Old September 9th, 2021, 10:56 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: SchismaticSounds Home Custom's (9/9/21)

Great units!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards