Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old May 25th, 2015, 06:01 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Heart of Vengeance

Whoops. I was supposed to post this at the beginning of May. This is why I will never be posting a chapter once every two months again.
Without further delay, I give you the last half of the last chapter:
Chapter Five
Death of the Enemy (Part Two)

Spoiler Alert!

~TGRF.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:14 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice ending

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old July 30th, 2017, 01:18 AM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Heart of Vengeance was difficult to write. So difficult that it almost never happened. As I said in the author's note, Bigga redefined the entire book when I sent him a failed copy of the first chapter.

As an author, there are always a lot of failed first attempts before I hit on the right way to write something. Looking through my files tonight, I happened across those first attempts. I had completely forgotten about them.

They reveal how I was going to tie Ragnak to LBV and Dilmir. They tell (or at least start) the untold tale of Ragnak on Valhalla. Three times, oddly. They show forgotten scenes of how things might have happened on Grut. And one in particular shows a totally different Ragnak, with a different family, and a different life.

These attempts were never edited by Bigga, so mistakes abound. Three of them seem to be only slightly different versions of the same chapter. But I'd still like to post them. Failed or not, they are still something I wrote to share with others. I would like to share them now.

I will have to ascertain that they are suitable for posting and not simply duplicates of each other, but once I have, I'll put them here for you to view at your leisure.

~TGRF.

EDIT: I also have several first attempts for Apocalypse, one of which lasted for four chapters. Whether those are of high enough quality to post though, remains to be seen.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:22 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sweet I look forward to it

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old July 30th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I second that. More writing available to the public = good.

~TAF, who really needs to get back to writing but has been too busy penning his first DM campaign in d&d

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old July 31st, 2017, 02:06 PM

HoV - R2 (First new attempt, third draft)

So to put it bluntly, the Ragnak drafts are a big mess. I was really struggling with the first chapter, and wrote it four times. And it's not a short chapter either, so it's difficult to tell at a glance what is the same and what is different. I don't want to post four versions of the same thing.

So I'm going to post as I find. We open with what originally opened the fan fiction:

Quote:
Recognize that which can destroy you, and never underestimate it, for the day you do is the day that it shall consume you completely.
- Saying of Nerak
That heads what was the original opening chapter.

It looks like I had a good idea of how the first chapter should unfold. I kept writing it, deciding it didn't work, and trying a new approach. There are four of those 'new approaches' one of which might be a collection of the other three. What follows is the first 'new approach', the third draft of the first chapter.
Spoiler Alert!

It is important to note that Kira was constantly changing in these drafts. She only became Ragnak's daughter in the later drafts. Previously, she was either his sister, or his love interest. Which she is in this draft remains unclear.

More will follow.

~TGRF.
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:17 PM

HoV - R4 (second new attempt, fifth draft)

This is the second of the 'new attempts', the fifth draft of the first chapter.

It seemed fairly well lodged in my head at this point that the answer to the failing original first chapter was simply to open with more action - preferably a raid. Action was not what I was missing, so my attempts kept failing. At least they yielded something...

Kira is not to be found in this rendition. I had stumbled across the name somewhere, and instantly knew it was perfect. Why, I know not. It just is. Love that name.

Anyway, I had recently come to the conclusion that I was using 'Kira' too much, and decided to go for a different name. I tried it out in the below. Again, exactly what the relations are, is unclear.
Spoiler Alert!

More to come.

~TGRF.
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:27 PM

HoV - R5 (third new attempt, sixth draft)

It eventually dawned on me that action wasn't the answer. I still didn't know what was the answer though. I knew I wanted to write this. Something about the world of Grut had that spark that indicates there's something worth investigating, something worth writing about. I just hadn't found it yet. I decided to paint a more vivid picture of Grut, in hopes of finding that spark...
Spoiler Alert!

Terrible place to end, I know. Unfortunately, that is all I wrote, and I haven't the faintest idea what Kira was about to say. In this rendition, she is obviously Ragnak's sister.

Those are all of the 'new attempts'. I'll look through the drafts of the first chapter and determine what can be posted.

~TGRF.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:00 AM

Switching Version - Attempt One

In 2017, I had discovered the many drafts for this tale. Ragnak went through MANY different iterations before I finally landed on the story I wrote, and some of those drafts are pretty solid.

I was posting those drafts as I read through them, but for reasons unknown to me, I stopped in July of 2017. It's possible other fan fictions distracted me. It is not, however, because I had run out of drafts to post. There's still some good stuff I never posted, and there's no reason I shouldn't post it now, while the writing for Dilmir 4 is underway. So that's what I'll do.

Now aside from the drafts, there's some old stuff left over from the original Codex release of this fiction which may or may not have ever made it to this thread. So that will be coming too. I've already updated the demon picture in the first chapter so that it doesn't come from photobucket.

On with the drafts. The best I can tell after a quick glance through them, is that I at one point tried to format the story of Ragnak into a series of flashbacks. I then started the story three times, apparently unable to get it to come out the way I wanted. I'll post the first of those attempts below.

Some necessary background: For some reason, the idea of Ragnak always started with LBV. In that story, Utgar has all but conquered Valhalla. Jandar has fled to his final fortress in the Thaelink. Utgar's forces form up before it, preparing for the final battle.

Fair warning: the battle is never shown (what I was thinking, I know not). But Ragnak makes it through, and ends up hunting a lone survivor, an elf mage by the name of Astia. He doesn't know who won or lost. Why exactly he's hunting her isn't known - even to me at the time of writing, if I recall.

You can find the continuation of the drafts in the next post.

~TGRF.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:01 AM

The first chapter starts before the battle. The second chapter picks up after it. Fair warning: these are longer than my average chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter One
Night of the Final Battle of Valhalla, northern coast of the Dragon’s Head Sea
Spoiler Alert!

Chapter One cont'd
Thirty years previously, Grut

Spoiler Alert!
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:05 AM

Chapter Two? (There are no chapter divisions for some reason...)
One day after the Final Battle, Thaelink Tundra
Spoiler Alert!

Chapter Two cont'd
Twenty-eight years previously, Grut

Spoiler Alert!

... And that's where I stopped. At least you can guess where I was headed.

What follows in my drafts folder look like two more versions of what you just read. However, they look quite different, so I'll have a look through them, and post them tomorrow if they aren't 95% duplicates.

~TGRF.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 08:00 PM

I've reviewed the remaining drafts. One was short, and aside from a few paragraphs, mostly repetition. The next two are identical - or at least enough the same that I can't find any difference. They are also identical to the actual first chapter, with only minor deviations. And the final draft seems to take place at the end of the tale. It is short, disconnected from anything else, and boils down to two people talking. By far, the best items have already been posted.

There are, however, a few pictures which went with this story. I've included them below:

First, there is a map of my interpretation of Grut.
Spoiler Alert!

This story was of course written for the Codex, and at that time, we had several artists in the art department who were willing to take a stab at illustrations for this story. @Wanderer999 did a fantastic job turning my crude ideas into seriously good sketches, and @Evar-Scarcarver digitized those and colored them. Below is a sketch which for some reason never made it to this thread - whether it was ever released in the Codex I can't recall. While Wanderer999 was the one doing the sketches, I have it attributed to ES on my computer, so at this point I'm unsure who drew it. But either way, here it is:
Spoiler Alert!

There is one final picture, this one definitely drawn by W999. It features the Levach, the dragon-like mount of Drelach, rampaging Rangak's village as he watches, helpless. It too is uncolored.
Spoiler Alert!

And to cap off the full content of Ragnak, we have the cover. If I recall correctly, this was created before Ragnak was ever written for the Codex. I asked @b57123m to take a stab at designing the cover, based on a rough sketch I made. He delivered some excellent digital artwork, making an excellent representation of Ragnak. Here is the cover:
Spoiler Alert!

And that's everything! All of Ragnak's drafts and forgotten content has been posted. If you feel so inclined, let me know what you thought.

~TGRF.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction