Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
dra(gon), are you off to Essen too?

If so, swing past the Warfrog stand (5-95) on Saturday, where I should be demoing one of their games (I won't be there the rest of the fair - too busy spending money - but by Saturday I'm usually broke and bored, so help the guys out!)
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I was not a huge fan of Memoir, and I found Cleopatra ultimately dissapointing (not bad, just not exciting). I doubt I'll check this out, and certainly won't be pre-ordering it.

That said, I do love Ticket to Ride and I am planning on selling Memoir, so maybe I'll hold onto M44 and take a chance on simply trading for a used copy of this new game somewhere down the line.

Of the three DOW games I've played, they have one near-failure (Memoir series) one hit (Ticket series) and one mediocre pass (Cleopatra).
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
This new game sounds interesting. Since I am not familiar with Memior 44 can someone give a brief run-down of the Memior 44's game mechanics?

jcb, what did you not like about M44?
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
You command an army. The army is made up of just a few different unit types. You have cards that you hold, and the amount depends upon the strategic skill of your commander, that you use to activate certain types of units in certain sections of the board. The board is made up of hexes and the terrain is placed upon the hexes in accordance with the scenario being played. The board is split into three simple zones. So you may get a card that says you can move and attack with all foot troops on your left flank. Or it may say you can move all units in the middle, or just the mounted units. There are special event cards to play too such as air strikes and snipers. The mechanics are simple, elegant, and can be learned in minutes. A game last an hour or less.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
Thanks GB.

What is the scale of the battles (i.e. roughly how many troops do you command)?
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler
Thanks GB.

What is the scale of the battles (i.e. roughly how many troops do you command)?
Never mind about scale. This link answered some questions for me.

http://www.memoir44.com/index.php?t=...ame=base&rid=&
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
It is dependent upon the scenario. You usually have about 7-12 units each with 2-4 figures per unit. When a unit gets hit with fire you will sometimes remove figures from that unit. When all figures are removed from unit it is destroyed. The stronger the unit the more figures so a Tank unit has only two figures, but an infantry stand has 4.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I have been reading up on M44 and Mr. Borg. Seems interesting. I may have to eventually pickup M44 and Battle lore when my kids are a little older.

Has anyone played Battle Cry (Borg's Civil War game) or Command and Colors: Ancients? Are they as good as M44?
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler

Has anyone played Battle Cry (Borg's Civil War game) or Command and Colors: Ancients? Are they as good as M44?
From my understanding, Battle Cry is very similiar to Memoir, w/ only a 3 unit types (Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery in Civil War, Infantry, Armor and Artillery in WWII). Ancients introduces a few more troop types that add to the complexity and depth of the C&C system.

If Battle Lore adds even more, look out. This game will rock.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Battlecry has 4 troop types Inf Cav Artillary, and Command.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
80 page rulebook

Maybe I'm just naive about complex games, but I can't even fathom what one could discuss for 80 pages.

Unless the font is really large, there are tons of illustrations and diagrams and charts, or the pages are really small. Or all of the above. But even then....80 pages? The standard DOW rulebook has pretty large pages....lots of info can fit on each one. 80 pages! wow.
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Maybe they are going to use BIG FONTS!

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games