Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!
Heroscape Online - Tournament Style Map Contest

With the introduction of Heroscape Online this past year, and the overwhelming success that we have had(50+ contestants in the last two events) we find ourselves in a unique situation, NO LIMITS. Gone are the restrictions of only using terrain based on how many Master sets and expansion sets you have. Want to have start zones 3 or 4 spaces high? Go for it. Want a map that uses the small Ice Mountains or Shadow Mountains, And you want to use alot of them? Go for it! I can list endless possibilities of combinations for maps. But I will stop here and let your imaginations run wild.

We do have some Restrictions... remember we want to use these for tournaments.

The Rules.
  • Your map may only use official Heroscape terrain that exists in virtualscape. Uncapped columns are OK but try to stick to standard build rules aside from that.
  • No overhangs. Overhangs are difficult to represent in a top-down view, so we'd prefer to avoid them.
  • Design your maps with the goal of them being reasonably balanced for 1v1 games involving typical tournament armies. So, for example, try to ensure that games are not completely dominated by ranged figures or flying figures, and are not too tough on double-spaced walking melee figures.
  • Design your maps to drive the action. Because online games are generally untimed and are played to completion, maps that reward conservative camping/turtling behavior are a problem.
  • A map with a very large footprint is hard to display on a screen, so keep it reasonable. If you make a map that's 50 inches in each dimension, we're not going to be able to use it. There's no hard limit here; just try to keep it fairly compact.(Take a look at some BOV maps if you are not sure what a good size for a tournament style map.)
  • Aside from that, anything goes. There are no terrain limits! If you want 30 shadow tiles, knock yourself out. 10 sets of ruins? No problem.

Contest Time Lines and Specifics
  • Maps will be grouped into heats based on set usage and voted on by the community.
  • Winning maps from each round advance where the map may be pitted against maps using different sets. If there are not enough submissions of a certain type, they will be grouped into other heats or distributed evenly among other heats, which ever method works best based on the number of submission received. I will adjust as needed.
  • Top 2-3 in each heat will advance depending on size of heat and/or ties. We will have as many rounds as necessary. I reserve the right to change or augment how I handle the heats and advancement, as necessary.
  • It will basically be a beauty/popularity contest designed to generate more map options for Heroscape Online.
  • The winners will get great respect from the community, and immortalized as their maps will be used in a future tournament.
  • Use this thread for submissions and questions. All feedback and other chatter should be kept to a minimum.
  • A maximum of 2 entries per cartographer.
  • Submissions must include a valid map build diagram (virtualscape preferred) and picture. The picture can either be a real image or one generated through Virtualscape.
  • Take the time to make a quality post of your submission; make it clear that this is a submission post, list the sets used and any special trap rules, Tell us anything special about your map, how you came up with it. etc….
  • Names of cartographers will NOT be a secret during the voting process. Feel free to include designer name and map name in the submitted images.
  • Map feedback and development should not take place in this thread. If you require some feedback have the discussion elsewhere.
  • All submissions must be posted in this thread by 11:59 PM CST on 2/16.
  • One submission per post please. If you need to change or update a submission, edit the original post do not make a new post.

Voting threads are now up!

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=48081

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=48080

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.

Last edited by Kinseth; March 25th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape Online - Tournament Style Map Contest

Should these maps be built originally on VS, then built (if possible), and then converted?

I'm assuming you don't want maps that are already made just to be converted.

I'll definitely be entering this. Should be fun!!!
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm in! Are these maps supposed to be large or small?

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:38 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrowick View Post
For this time, I'll help you...but next time read the post all the way.

It is supposed to be smallish. Don't make it too big to where it is very hard to fit it all in a picture and has to be zoomed beyond recognition of tiles being tiles.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrowick View Post
For this time, I'll help you...but next time read the post all the way.

It is supposed to be smallish. Don't make it too big to where it is very hard to fit it all in a picture and has to be zoomed beyond recognition of tiles being tiles.
Yeah I read the post but I just wanted to make sure of how small it was supposed to be cause there are small maps and really small maps.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:46 PM

I wouldn't go past 50. I have mine at 51 right now, but I think I'm going to have to trim a little.

Last edited by Sheep; January 5th, 2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: 50in... :D
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Note: You do not need to make an online board for your map. One of us will make a nice hi-res one for the winner (unless you made your own nice hi-res one).

Last edited by awesomeunleashed; January 5th, 2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Kinseth, I suggest putting that point in the OP.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Note: You do not need to make an online board for your map. One of us will make a nice hi-res one for the winner (unless you made your own nice hi-res one).
You guys are awesome!
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:30 PM

I'm already set for testing my first map. If anyone would like to test it with me, that'd be great! Just send me a PM and I'll send the Online 'Scape Document.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I'm in.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:55 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

If you look at other tournament maps and get a feel for how big those maps are that will give you a better idea of what we are looking for.

We don't want to put restrictions on you, but remember this is going to be used in tournaments and thus should be a map that is mostly symmetrical and not be too big but not too small.

Example: One map we used was 14 hexes wide by 15 hexes in height. Another was 17 Hexes by 14 Hexes. Hope this gives you some idea of how large the map probably needs to be for tournament settings.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:23 AM

=Ace= is surprisingly tart

So wait, can I just make a map with the pieces I have at home and submit a picture with instructions on how to build it, or do I have to use the net to make my map?

I wonder if she still remembers...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games