Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Hive seems like something that would be better in 600+ pt battles, more like 800 plus is where is will start to shine. WHen you can have the hive, 2 hive lords and way to many troops of all types of marro.

Just makes creating 1,000 pt armies to much fun

Hive 160
SBN 160
TKN 220
stingers x5 300
Grubbers x5 150
Isamu 10

OK, so you really want a 1,300 + army for the hive, think of this with some hounds, NE-gok-sa & Kee-Mo-sho = 2 enchanced mind shackle people,

With this line of thought for 1,500 pt games I am guessing nothing will take on a marro based army, way to much working together, Get ornack , brunack & the griffon to carry, and it starts to get really really scary.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

hex706f726368 has disabled reputation
The Hive's value goes up with each turn it takes. So you need a longer game for the hive to have value, imo. I think higher point armies will extend the game, but they don't guarantee that your hive will be around long enough for it to matter.

Let's just say you have an all common marro army plus the hive and you are able to be effective with them within the 12 LOS spaces so you can load all your turn markers on the hive. On average you rebirth 40% of the time. That's 6 rebirths every 5 rounds if every turn marker is on the hive. I think the stingers are the most expensive common marro squad to date at 60 points. So, after 5 rounds with the stingers and hive, on average, you're only going to rebirth 120 pts or 75% of the value of your hive. It will take 7 rounds (8 stingers) on average to rebirth the full value of the hive.

I think the hive mind ability isn't all that special unless you take a mix of common marro units. I mean, if you took all stingers, it's the exact same thing as if you put your order markers on their card, except you can only move the ones within 12 clear sight spaces of your start zone.

In my opnion, the hive just sits back in your start zone and acts like a target. It's probably not going to take out any of your opponent's figures, so it has to rebirth figures to earn its point value.

That's probably more than my $0.02 worth.
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex706f726368
The Hive's value goes up with each turn it takes. So you need a longer game for the hive to have value, imo. I think higher point armies will extend the game, but they don't guarantee that your hive will be around long enough for it to matter.

Let's just say you have an all common marro army plus the hive and you are able to be effective with them within the 12 LOS spaces so you can load all your turn markers on the hive. On average you rebirth 40% of the time. That's 6 rebirths every 5 rounds if every turn marker is on the hive. I think the stingers are the most expensive common marro squad to date at 60 points. So, after 5 rounds with the stingers and hive, on average, you're only going to rebirth 120 pts or 75% of the value of your hive. It will take 7 rounds (8 stingers) on average to rebirth the full value of the hive.

I think the hive mind ability isn't all that special unless you take a mix of common marro units. I mean, if you took all stingers, it's the exact same thing as if you put your order markers on their card, except you can only move the ones within 12 clear sight spaces of your start zone.

In my opnion, the hive just sits back in your start zone and acts like a target. It's probably not going to take out any of your opponent's figures, so it has to rebirth figures to earn its point value.

That's probably more than my $0.02 worth.
I don't know if I fully agree with your views on the hive mind ability. It allows for order markers to be doubly hidden. You can put everything on the hive and then move whatever benefits you the most. I think that's it's best effect is that in strategy you can react or counteract your opponent's moves immediately instead of doing your best guess and then having to adjust the next round.

Additionally you can include the Marro Warriors in your army and have even more respawning per round making for an army that just won't stay dead.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM

hex706f726368 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane
I don't know if I fully agree with your views on the hive mind ability. It allows for order markers to be doubly hidden. You can put everything on the hive and then move whatever benefits you the most. I think that's it's best effect is that in strategy you can react or counteract your opponent's moves immediately instead of doing your best guess and then having to adjust the next round.
Quote:
I think the hive mind ability isn't all that special unless you take a mix of common marro units.
I think we agree there more than you realize, but that 12 LOS spaces really hurts.

Quote:
Additionally you can include the Marro Warriors in your army and have even more respawning per round making for an army that just won't stay dead.
The Marro Warriors are unique. You are either going to use the hive to respawn a single common or the warriors to respawn 1-2 warriors in lieu of attacking for a single turn marker. I'm not seeing the synergy you are suggesting per round?
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM

jlo Woo who?
I've only played the hive a couple of times but it seems to me that it works best in a large point value army. However, when my group plays large value armies the maps need to be large (see below - I think there were 3200pts total in this game). Then you run into the difficulties of keeping within the 12 los to take full advantage of the hive. You almost have to hang around the hive and let your opponent come to you. I'd much rather be on the offensive. Maybe this map was just too big for the hive.

Old September 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
The Marro Warriors are unique. You are either going to use the hive to respawn a single common or the warriors to respawn 1-2 warriors in lieu of attacking for a single turn marker. I'm not seeing the synergy you are suggesting per round?
I missed the common requirement...kinda ruins my whole thought string there...

I hate it when I'm stupid. Still, the ability to choose every order marker's use on its turn is still huge to me. Just set up a sit back army that pulls the attacking army in.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:

I hate it when I'm stupid. Still, the ability to choose every order marker's use on its turn is still huge to me. Just set up a sit back army that pulls the attacking army in.
Drones would be huge with the hive. Besides the chance of many drones moving/turn from their own card, now they can re-spawn.

I would think that the hive would work best on a small map which would help keep the 12 space thing going. Or on a less conventional map whereas the starting zones aren't at the opposite ends of the board. You can be creative and have a map where starting zones may have one army at the end of the map and the other in the middle. With this, you could have a scenario with the one army at the end of the map having to get past the one in the middle to either exit the board or retrieve an artifact.
The middle army could easily draft the hive if they chose to and it would work very well.

You could also have a scenario with one army having to hang onto an artifact while the other army needs to take it back to home base. The hive could be placed adjacent to the artifact if the drafting general choose to go that route.

One could also draft the hive with Saylind. That would be one way to get the hive moved (possible with good summoning rolls.)

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

Boozehammer is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Quote:
Quote:

Drones would be huge with the hive. Besides the chance of many drones moving/turn from their own card, now they can re-spawn.

I would think that the hive would work best on a small map which woul

d help keep the 12 space thing going. Or on a less conventional map whereas the starting zones aren't at the opposite ends of the board. You can be creative and have a map where starting zones may have one army at the end of the map and the other in the middle. With this, you could have a scenario with the one army at the end of the map having to get past the one in the middle to either exit the board or retrieve an artifact.
The middle army could easily draft the hive if they chose to and it would work very well.

You could also have a scenario with one army having to hang onto an artifact while the other army needs to take it back to home base. The hive could be placed adjacent to the artifact if the drafting general choose to go that route.

One could also draft the hive with Saylind. That would be one way to get the hive moved (possible with good summoning rolls.)
Wow... that just blew my mind. I just reread Saylind's card... I think technically, that would be legal too. Could we have some resident experts weigh in, before I get all excited? Because I don't even know how the logistics of moving the Hive would work, what with the 6-hex swamp water base needing to move with it...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Quote:
Quote:

I would think that the hive would work best on a small map which woul

d help keep the 12 space thing going. Or on a less conventional map whereas the starting zones aren't at the opposite ends of the board. You can be creative and have a map where starting zones may have one army at the end of the map and the other in the middle. With this, you could have a scenario with the one army at the end of the map having to get past the one in the middle to either exit the board or retrieve an artifact.

Wow... that just blew my mind. I just reread Saylind's card... I think technically, that would be legal too. Could we have some resident experts weigh in, before I get all excited? Because I don't even know how the logistics of moving the Hive would work, what with the 6-hex swamp water base needing to move with it...
Here's the link to The Book of Saylind. I don't see why you couldn't summon the hive. It's a figure that you control.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=8121

Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
What? wasn't this stamped out weeks ago? You can't move the hive. PERIOD!

SOTM Master Game Guide Page 13

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller...cs/page_13.jpg

Marro Hive Rules:
The marro Hive may not be moved from its starting location by any special power on any Army Card or Glyph.

We even had discussion with Craig and team at Gencon. The Hive doesn't move. Eldgrim doesn't work on him either; nothing moves that Hive.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
What? wasn't this stamped out weeks ago? You can't move the hive. PERIOD!

SOTM Master Game Guide Page 13

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller...cs/page_13.jpg

Marro Hive Rules:
The marro Hive may not be moved from its starting location by any special power on any Army Card or Glyph.
My bad, I missed that.

Well anyway, you can still be creative in map configurations and scenarios to make the hive more useful. Perhaps not so much with tournament maps, but casual maps can allow for more creativity.

Old September 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM

marro_master has disabled reputation
HI! i am new to the site but not the game. the marro hive is ALWAYS in my battle's, i use only marro(no duh ) and it is fast becoming my fav unit.

want to read a good fanfic? read "after the swarm" and if you really liked that please read my sequal, after the swarm, fight for survival!
both of these fanfics have action, dispair, adventure, and marro! it will be worth the read trust me on this one

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units