Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: Preferred play style
Single elim 2 16.67%
Swiss 8 66.67%
Other (please specify) 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!
Hope you don't mind me jumping in . . . .

I think what we've found in our tournies is that there is no perfect way to score points or structure the tournament. The key is to make it clear and then stick with it. The different alternatives have strengths and weaknesses.

In the MA and RI tournies, we've done rankings in the tourney based on points rather than on wins/losses in order to encourage aggressive play. Otherwise, someone coudl win by being conservative, hanging back, and using the clock. We'd rather see people win by dominating the board. Just our preference for how HS should be played.

Our swiss pairings are based on cumulative points over the tourney. As ASmiles has pointed out, swiss is great for sorting out the top and bottom players, but leaves the middle a little muddled. We chose to go with swiss that way because it makes the top clear for choosing prizes, but also allows everyone to keep playing throughout the tourney (unlike a full single elim tourney). However, this tourney we may end up donig swiss for the first 3 rounds and then let the top 4 players enter a single elim bracket during fourth round.

And we do try to keep players from playing against previous opponents. Keeps if resh and social.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Doustin is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Pilgrim, you and any one else are more than welcome to offer ideas and advice, I know we'll need it.

The way Pilgrim described is what I was thinking, since that what was used in my only tourney experience at last years Beantown Beatdown. Scoring would be what you kill of your opponents army. If you just destroyed 2 squads of Blade Gruts and Grimnak your score would be whatever that total is. If you destroy the entire army you get 500 points, even if theyre total wasnt quite 500. Then after a few rounds say you have 760 points of kills total, youd be matched with someone with a close number since youd be supposedly equally skilled. Maybe if needed as a last resort I can show an example of all this before everything gets started to make sure everyone there is clear.

The rest of what youre thinking there sounds right. One 500 point army, bring your own accessories, no customs, Marvel ok.

Is that 3 maybes in addition to you and two confirmed? Half the tourney is gonna be you and your friends lol. I dont want to catch you guys manipulating the tourney .

Old September 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM

ServantOfUtgar has disabled reputation
Hi folkes. It's been ages since I've posted. I am interested and I will let you know soon if I am in.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Volaticus has disabled reputation
AHHH!!! Finally a NH tourney in my area and I have to goto a wedding! Well ill let my friends know. Maybe some of them want to go.

"The Love Of One Country Leads To The Hate Of Another."-Aliyaho Pierce
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM

goodhueq has disabled reputation
all in

I have 2 of everything including SOTM except TT. I also know where the VFW is, by South Ave or something, right? I think my brother, sister, and our friend can all do it, so that makes plus 4.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Alright, good to see those messages I sent worked. Hope you guys, or your friends Volaticus, can make it.

Goodhueq, are you able to show up early if needed to help with setup since youre right in town, maybe bring some terrain now that we have have more people? Are you definite about the 4 of you, or is it just very probable?

With these newest posts we can make it past 10 people :banana: ! Hmm... Is there a record smallest tournament?

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Thanks for the info Pilgrim. I find it more intuitive now - someone with four completed wins cannot be bettered by someone with three wins and a loss, but someone with four wins on points, rather than by complete anhiliation, can be overtaken by someone with a 3-1 record.

Yep Doustin - that's additional maybes. I'm at a college and heroscape was just starting to take off at the end of last semester. I'm hoping to build on that this semester. Perhaps we will need those buses...

How many rounds are there going to be? (One of the joys of Swiss is that it doesn't really matter. I'm just curious.)
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Good to see its all coming together now. I was thinking around 4 depending on how long that actually takes combined with time in between to figure out the next match ups. It also may be affected by if we go to elimination style for the top 4 or something.

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
4 sounds good. If we go for a pure swiss, and have at most 16 people, then someone with four completed wins would be guaranteed outright victory.
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Bobbo has disabled reputation
Ok, count me in. I'll start convincing BWS2K that he needs to come also.

Swiss Style sounds good to me.

I got nuthin...
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM

And Bobbo has been added, this thing is looking better every day.

Old September 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM

goodhueq has disabled reputation
yes

I can def. come early for setup. I have 2 of everything except tt, including sotm. Just let me know what time you want me to show up, and all four of us, def. again.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events