Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 11th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Marsman has disabled reputation
Order Marker Strategy

When my group plays, we usually move in with order markers pretty much evenly dispersed, then trade strikes with 3 order markers dumped on 1 card. I have noticed from your posts that you all seem to keep them spread out with 1 or maybe 2 per card. Why is this better than rushing with 3? For instance, you say that for the Zombies, anything with range >4 can cream them. Why can't the zombies put two or three order markers on them to charge? Why is order marker dispersing a better strategy than dumping?

Cool...my first post in about 4 months! If I posted as often as I lurked, I would have over 1,000 posts... I should change my habits...

War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
No reason not to.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Sev_ has disabled reputation
Its not strategic for one thing. You can get flanked or blown away by a special attack. PLUS, it gives your opponent time to place his units wherever he wants such as high ground.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker
I don't have a set strategy for placing order markers. It all depends on the situation. If I have a heavy hitter like Jotun, i will typically place all the order markers on him to cause as much damage as I can since I know he will be a prime target. If I don't have any figures in striking range of my enemy, I will usually spread the order markers out.

A couple months ago I was attacking a castle and had Braxas in my army. I decided I would send Braxas in alone to kill as much as she could, then move in with the rest of my army to mop up. With her low defense I knew it would be silly to fly her up there and leave her there unused for any period of time, so I put all my order markers on her for the first 3 rounds. Amazingly, she flew up to the castle and wiped out the entire defending force (350 points) by herself while suffering only 2 wounds.

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I should say nothing in the rules against it. Yes, strategically you might want to think twice.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
How you place order markers all depends on your strategy and personal play preference. There is no definitive right or wrong way to go about doing this, as strategic placement and unit movement all too often changes from game to game, map to map, scenario to scenario, etc.

Perhaps you do want to rush units forward to clog the middle or snatch glyphs. Perhaps you want to more evenly distribute your army, or move into a specific attack formation. In either case, you would place your order markers accordingly. Whether or not these order choices are 'more strategic' or not depend on how you react to circumstances and events happening within the game.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Order Marker Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsman
For instance, you say that for the Zombies, anything with range >4 can cream them. Why can't the zombies put two or three order markers on them to charge? Why is order marker dispersing a better strategy than dumping?
You can dump on the xombies but your dump can be countered with a dump of their own on range.

Zombies can get absolutely chewed up by range. The new samuari's are especially difficult to take down with zombies, as they both have range and can counterstrike the zombies if they roll poorly with that meager 2 attack. The zombie hoard can wreak havoc in large numbers, and can be a ton of fun to play as they start to regain their numbers by overtaking their opponent who was chewing them up. But you have to tread carefully against ranged opponents. Send out some rats to tie them up, or have some range of your own to take care of their range before sending in the zombies for a melee throw down.
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
I'm more likely to place all three markers on one card at the very start (rushing for position), or if it has some sort of bonding, or if it has a particularly good attacking position. If it's a squad, it's less likely to get all three markers than a hero, as squads can be rapidly reduced in effectiveness once they start taking casualties. But as others have said, it's *very* dependant upon the game situation. You sometimes know that you're taking a gamble by ordering one unit three times; sometimes not. And sometimes the gamble is worth taking.

In fact, now I think on it, almost all of my order marker assignments are 3 on one card, a 4th on another (guess where the X is), or two markers on each of two cards. I'm generally not one for spreading them out.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Pattar007 has disabled reputation
BTW Does anyone do what the rulebook suggests. One person sets their markers, followed by the next guy, and so on.

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattar007
BTW Does anyone do what the rulebook suggests. One person sets their markers, followed by the next guy, and so on.
At the TTO tournament I did put a note in the welcome letter to the contestants stating that they may hide or cover their marks when they were placing them out. For time sake we encourage everyone to put their markers down at the same time.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
On small maps, a blitzkrieg with the Krav (or any other powerful ranged unit) is pretty much a standard strategy. The only decent counter is very good luck or the very same method. Having multiple attacks from the good ground, possibly with glyphs, is what it's all about.

Now on medium and large maps where you can't engage in 3 turns effectively, using markers to develop a strong line of attack & defence is paramount.

Whilst it's all map dependent, there are some very straight forward maxims that can be acknowledged by ascertaining the key facts.

Things to consider:
  • Who has initiative?
  • How many army cards do you (and your opponent(s)) have?
  • With X turns, how many potential attacks can you get against an opponent, balanced against how many (s)he can get against you?
  • Can you get to a glyph/key position with a strong unit to hold it?

The Nakita's with Gorilla's are excellent blitzkrieg units, as you can move 6 (or more with multiple squads over time) figures a considerable distance - on a small or medium map, you can control the centre of the field of fire, high ground and glyphs with 6 (or more) potential attackers - with the added bonus' of being very hard to kill.

Ive seen the Krav's used devastatingly when blitzing - a true force to be reckoned with.

So yeah - strategy does depend on the map and opponents army (and your own), but with experience you can learn what works where most of the time. Should I ever feel the need, I'd note all my personal maxims.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM

AlCapwned has disabled reputation
My usual picks are Knights, with Thorgrim (or sometimes Finn), and the Marros and either a support or some melee unit. I first use only the Knights and try to make a good dent in the army, hopefully taking out their range or big units. I countinue with this attack until most of them/Thogrim are defeated, then I supplement my ranged Marros and stand my ground near some water.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion