Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old April 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

I'd also like to chime in and say that bringing a good or cheesy army in no way guarantees that you'll make day 2. In the first round of the main event in 2008, I beat someone playing the exact same army that gamjuven used to make top 8 (4x Stingers, Raelin, Cyp/Sonya). Last year, I brought 3x Rats, Krav, Raelin, MW, Q10, KMA, and went 2-3. Sometimes the matchups, maps, your own mistakes, and unforeseen circumstances can make it tougher. I'd say that making day 2 is probably about as hard as getting 1st (or maybe 2nd) place in one of the side events or a smaller, regional tourney. Either that, or I just have the worst luck with match-ups in the Championship. (I'm 5-5 in the championship after two years, but closer to 70% win rate overall).

Still pretty sweet that Worldturtle got there with 4x Dividers. He still likes to remind us of that. "Hey, remember when Kyle forgot to hand in his stupid ticket and I got to day 2 with DIVIDERS?!"

So, if you've got something honestly good that works for you, it might be slightly better to play than something that is good and everyone expects... but only if it's actually that strong. Something like the Heavy Gruts last year is a good example, or even LW playing trons in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; April 26th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I think the biggest thing is to know what you're playing. This has been said over and over but it's huge. I play tested and play tested and play tested some more with the Grimnak / Heavy Gruts / Raelin combo last year. I play tested it against every single match-up I could think of that was competitive and might be at Gen Con. That's one reason I was able to beat Spider and his 'trons. I had play tested it against the 'trons many times and I knew what had to be done to win. Of course I play tested against almost everything, except Braxas. In all my tourneys up to that point I don't think I've ever played against her once. I played against her 3 times in the main event and went 1-2 against her. I wasn't familiar with her. I mean I knew what she did, but I hadn't formulated my strategy against her with this particular army. I was kicking myself for not play testing against her.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I think the biggest thing is to know what you're playing. This has been said over and over but it's huge. I play tested and play tested and play tested some more with the Grimnak / Heavy Gruts / Raelin combo last year. I play tested it against every single match-up I could think of that was competitive and might be at Gen Con. That's one reason I was able to beat Spider and his 'trons. I had play tested it against the 'trons many times and I knew what had to be done to win. Of course I play tested against almost everything, except Braxas. In all my tourneys up to that point I don't think I've ever played against her once. I played against her 3 times in the main event and went 1-2 against her. I wasn't familiar with her. I mean I knew what she did, but I hadn't formulated my strategy against her with this particular army. I was kicking myself for not play testing against her.
Did you ever compile your strategies that DID work into somewhere on this site? I'd like to read it.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

If you can find his Battle Reports, they're pretty informative, more than most others that I've read.

(The knowing what you're playing thing is big. I don't know if I had used Q10 more than 5 times prior to trying him in the main event. I figured he was similar to Nilfheim... not nearly enough)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; April 26th, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
Quote:
Did you ever compile your strategies that DID work into somewhere on this site? I'd like to read it.
You mean with the Heavy / Grimnak / Raelin combo?

And just to point a few things out that I was totally stupid on. Against Braxas the first time, I moved my Raelin out to help cover defensively. Talk about stupid, Braxas bypasses defense. The second time I faced her I was trying to swarm her by keeping a grut on the move glyph. Well she kept melting them off from her little perch she was on backed by Raelin. Instead of moving a grut onto the move glyph (who was killed EVERY time by acid breath, I should have moved up Nerak onto the glyph. He's large and immune to acid breath. I would have forced Braxas off the perch to get me off the glyph, and if she didn't I would have been able to swarm her. The third time I played her I had it figured out and pretty much rolled her. It's just little things like that that I would have already played through in play testing and "theoretically" not have screwed up on in an actual game.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; April 26th, 2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: I am by no means saying that if I had not done those stupid things that I would have won. MTR & Mad Muppet both played great
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Of course I play tested against almost everything, except Braxas.
I think that was another shocker last year. Madmuppet played a pretty mean Braxas build against me too.

Braxas/rats x3/AE/MW is a sweet champ army. Props to Mattser.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

I hate these lists. I almost always end up fielding an army that is exactly like, or very similar to one on this list and I feel like a copy cat, whether I got the idea from here or not (as often as not I do).
I have been toying with the Dwarves for some time and I can's seem to bring myself to including any heros for them to bond with. They are so good on their own, and speedy too. And I need the extra points to give them the ranged support they so desperately need.
The most effective build I have come up with yet seems to be;
Dwarves x 4 - 280
Q9 - 460
Marro Warriors - 510, 22 hexes

@ 600 Raelin/Isamu
@ 620 Migol (finally get my bonding on)
@ 640 Mogrimm or Migol/Marcu (I think I would rather see 620)

Another interesting Dwarves option I've been toying with is;
Dwarves x2 - 140
Migol - 250
Raelin - 330
Q9 - 510, 12 hexes

@ 600 Dwarves/filler
@620 Krav/Isamu
@640 Dwarves/Marro Warriors/Isamu (I'm liking this option)
I find the second army a little less competitive but I can't help feeling it is the army I like better.
I've tried out a lot of other Dwarves builds but I just keep coming back to something like these.

The problem is I would rather not field Q9 but I can't come up with a better range/special solution for this army.
Any thoughts?

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!

Last edited by Eirikr; May 2nd, 2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't recall if I posted this earlier in the thread or not, but based on my experience with Dwarves at the Gencon '09, Raelin is kinda a big deal for the Dwarves. I think you'll need her Day 1, because that 3 Defense just doesn't cut it. I do agree with you that not bringing a bonding hero is a good option. Here's the best Dwarf army I can think of:

Dwarves x4 - 280
Raelin - 360
Q10 - 510
19 spaces.

It's got easy OM management, a ranged special attack, numbers, and speed. Q10 isn't Q9, though not by much I admit. But one of the Majors is a strong backbone for a Dwarf army. Dwarves can handle anything that scares a Major, and the Major can handle anything that scares Dwarves, ie Rats.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
I don't recall if I posted this earlier in the thread or not, but based on my experience with Dwarves at the Gencon '09, Raelin is kinda a big deal for the Dwarves. I think you'll need her Day 1, because that 3 Defense just doesn't cut it. I do agree with you that not bringing a bonding hero is a good option. Here's the best Dwarf army I can think of:

Dwarves x4 - 280
Raelin - 360
Q10 - 510
19 spaces.

It's got easy OM management, a ranged special attack, numbers, and speed. Q10 isn't Q9, though not by much I admit. But one of the Majors is a strong backbone for a Dwarf army. Dwarves can handle anything that scares a Major, and the Major can handle anything that scares Dwarves, ie Rats.
I have found that I could do quite well without Raelin, the extra squad of dwarves or range seemed to do more for me. That being said she is great support for the Krav or the Marro Warriors once they make it into the build.
Q10 is pretty good but he is no Q9 and I have a hard time taking him over Kaemon Awa, I just don't see the pay off for the extra 30 points, especially if Raelin is in the mix.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
Raelin is kinda a big deal for the Dwarves.
Axegrinders see Raelin at a party:

AGs - "Who are you?"

Raelin - "I don't quite know how to put this... but I'm kind of a big deal."

AGs - "Really?"

Raelin - "People know me."

To actually contribute to the thread, I think replacing Dwarves with 4th Mass in Ronin's army could actually work.

Q10 - 150
Raelin - 230
4th Mass x4 - 510, 19

600 - 4th Mass + Marcu, 24
620 - 4th Mass + Eldgrim, 24 OR Drake/Alastair, 20
640 - 4th Mass + Zetacron (sit a Mass), 24

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have no problem being the " Stinger " guy, works for me, with all the new stuff out I am really thinking of bringing something else, but man I love me some stingers and they have worked so far for me. I have faced the same army I have brought to a tourney before and it all comes down to your strategy and of course the roll of the die, but knowing how your army works best and being able to change your strategy based on the others army is key! Of course luck is a huge factor - who you face and on what board is a big deal - and I have seen people lose simply cause the better glyph was on the other side of the board.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
and I have seen people lose simply cause the better glyph was on the other side of the board.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion