Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 28th, 2020, 07:36 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker
Norse Mythology

Neil Gaiman's take on Norse Mythology has been such a pleasure to read. Gaiman has a fantastic way of bringing the world to life and this has been my favorite book of Norse myths to date with Thor's Journey to the Land of the Giants being my favorite myth. Has anyone else read it? If not what are some suggestions of books of other mythologies? I am especially interested in Norse and Greek.

Last edited by Figure; August 29th, 2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old August 28th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Norse Mythology

Sounds like a job for @Lazy Orang
Old August 29th, 2020, 06:57 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
*Cue suit-up sequence*

I'll be honest, I've struggled to find great books on mythology in the past, so I'll be interested in the responses here, too! (Especially for more niche mythologies, though I know you're mainly asking about Greek and Norse. ) A lot of my mythological knowledge came from just.... general osmosis when I was a kid, from games like Age of Mythology (which, if you love mythology and have any interest in RTS games, is well worth picking up on Steam), the Atticus book of Greek myths which is definitely a kid's book but I loved back then, and talking about it with my family because I was just interested, followed by finding things on the internet as an adult... none of which is all that useful to you, sadly! Robert Graves's book on Greek Mythology is actually a really good, really comprehensive one which I'm glad I own, though I find his writing style a bit on the dry side. Another book I loved as a (somewhat older kid) is was this one (which doesn't go too deep into anything, but that's because it gives you a broad taste of myths from across the world), but... I'm struggling to find it on the internet now! I've also enjoyed looking at this YouTube channel... doesn't seem to upload too frequently, sadly, but they do some interesting videos from all sorts of mythologies.

~Lazy Orang, who doesn't believe she's read that Neil Gaiman book, but who loves mythology and has been enjoying his work on Sandman and kind of feels she needs to try it out now.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old August 29th, 2020, 02:26 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
*Cue suit-up sequence*

I'll be honest, I've struggled to find great books on mythology in the past, so I'll be interested in the responses here, too! (Especially for more niche mythologies, though I know you're mainly asking about Greek and Norse. ) A lot of my mythological knowledge came from just.... general osmosis when I was a kid, from games like Age of Mythology (which, if you love mythology and have any interest in RTS games, is well worth picking up on Steam), the Atticus book of Greek myths which is definitely a kid's book but I loved back then, and talking about it with my family because I was just interested, followed by finding things on the internet as an adult... none of which is all that useful to you, sadly! Robert Graves's book on Greek Mythology is actually a really good, really comprehensive one which I'm glad I own, though I find his writing style a bit on the dry side. Another book I loved as a (somewhat older kid) is was this one (which doesn't go too deep into anything, but that's because it gives you a broad taste of myths from across the world), but... I'm struggling to find it on the internet now! I've also enjoyed looking at this YouTube channel... doesn't seem to upload too frequently, sadly, but they do some interesting videos from all sorts of mythologies.

~Lazy Orang, who doesn't believe she's read that Neil Gaiman book, but who loves mythology and has been enjoying his work on Sandman and kind of feels she needs to try it out now.
Wow thank you for the input, definetly going to pick up the Robert Graves book (going to check Barnes and Nobles because online prices are steep). Really, I'm interested in any myths, Greek and Norse are just what I am most familiar with. Egyptian and Chinese myths are also quite appealing, might need to pick up Journey to the West and broaden my horizons a bit.
Old August 30th, 2020, 07:26 PM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

I enjoyed Day of the Giants by Lester del Rey. Older book (just saw it’s 1959), but I liked the “different take” on Norse mythology. Modern guy helping the gods prepare for Ragnarok. And not too long of a read either.

good trades with rudyvalentine, crazytankster, and Jexik.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books