Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old December 27th, 2015, 11:16 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: X-Wing

So I was not planning on getting into this game. Semi-avoiding it even though I thought I'd probably like it.

But The Force Awakens reminded me of how much I love X-Wings, so in a crazy moment I added an assortment of boosters and core sets from this game that included X-wings. And my wife bought me the Force Awakens Core Set for Christmas! She wanted to get me the classic one, but it wouldn't ship in time.

I played it with by brother on Christmas Day, and sure enough, we both loved it (incredible since he doesn't like Heroscape or board games in general).

So now I'm trying to figure out how to put some of my Christmas money towards slightly expanding my squad capacity without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? As I mentioned before, I love X-Wings, but I should probably also get some more Imperial ships.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces are good next purchases. Imperial Aces gives you 2 TIE Interceptors with lots of pilots and upgrades for those ships. Rebel Aces gives you a B-wing and an A-wing with good pilots and plenty of upgrades to modify both.

If you don't have the classic core set yet, plan to pick that up. The original X-wings and TIE Fighters are completely different ships from their Force Awakens look-alikes.

Besides that, it really doesn't matter which ships you buy - just pick a booster that has a ship you want! The only ships that are seen as "noncompetitive" right now are the TIE Bomber, TIE Defender, M3-A Scyk Interceptor, and Star Viper. But even those ships are fine in non-tournament play.
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:31 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Right, I'm not really concerned about tourneys. I might go to an open play or a weekly tourney sometime, but my main focus is just on having some options for my brother and I to play with.

Surprised to hear the T-65 and T-70 are remarkably different. I figured there would just be a few differences in upgrade. With what I'd heard about the TIE/FO, though, I'm not surprised that it's a big change from the old TIE.

--
--
--

--
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:38 PM

I think my only real disappointment with this game (and it could be that this disappointment is ill-founded--perhaps there are alternate rules I don't know about) is that pilots are ship-specific. I think it would be neat to try, for instance, Han Solo flying an X-Wing, or Corran Horn (I think he comes with the E-Wing?) flying an X-Wing.

--
--
--

--
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I think my only real disappointment with this game (and it could be that this disappointment is ill-founded--perhaps there are alternate rules I don't know about) is that pilots are ship-specific. I think it would be neat to try, for instance, Han Solo flying an X-Wing, or Corran Horn (I think he comes with the E-Wing?) flying an X-Wing.
Yeah... that wouldn't work so well. You can refer to Star Trek Attack Wing for that mess.

But anyway, glad to have you join us! The tourney scene is huge, so you should definitely check it out. Go to the FFG forums where people can guide you.

You'll want to get the T-70 X-Wing expansion, as it has a very useful modification upgrade for both X-Wings. Buy whatever you like to start off, in general. Bs are tough, As are fast, Z-95s swarm. But, each expansion has as least 1 (usually 2) upgrade cards unique to the ship, and those upgrade cards can be useful on more than one ship.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:10 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Caveat: I've never played in a tournament and don't really plan to. Just casual games with my kids and with friends.

Apparently TIE Bomber is not competitive, but it gives you some options like flying right in front of your opponent's ship and dropping a Proximity Mine.

Definitely get a Millenium Falcon.

I also really like playing the TIE Phantom with a bunch of TIEs. TIE up the opponents ships with the TIEs while you meantime sneak your cloaked Phantom around for a Marksmanship boosted 5 die attack!

Interceptors I don't love so much....I don't actually own any of them, but my son made a lot of papercraft ship models and I printed out their pilot and upgrade cards so we could try them out...they just feel like long setup time to me because there are so many upgrade slots that it takes forever to decide what you want on them.

My only complaint about the game is that it takes quite a long time to play a game. I think the official game time says 45 minutes, but I find that impossible. Double that is more reasonable, not including the setup time selecting ships and upgrades.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Hey, I can't seem to find a statement about this anywhere, but do secondary weapons get the range modifiers?
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
Hey, I can't seem to find a statement about this anywhere, but do secondary weapons get the range modifiers?
No, you don't get +1 evade at range 3 or +1 attack at range 1 when using secondary weapons.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM

The 45 minute time is probably for the 36 point squad size that comes in the core set. My brother and I played the tutorial and then replayed it with some of the advanced rules in 1 or 1.5 hours.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; December 28th, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks Arch-Vile!
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:15 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
No, you don't get +1 evade at range 3 or +1 attack at range 1 when using secondary weapons.
I've been playing this wrong...I knew that the attacker did not get +1 attack at range 1 (Special Attacks never receive any bonuses) but I did not realize that the defender doesn't get +1 defense at range 3.
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:26 PM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart

I just ordered the Force Awakens Core Set and a Y-Wing expansion pack after being interested in this game for awhile now. Gonna split the expenses with a friend of mine. I figure we will get the Rebel and Imperial Ace packs next.

I had a question tho. Does anyone know why there arent any ships from the prequel era? Are the developers prequel haters or is it cuz technically the ships would be outdated compared to the ships from the original trilogy? I am asking cuz I really love a lot of the ship designs from the prequel era like the Jedi Starfighters and Interceptors.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures