Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Lamaclown's Terrain: Citadel of Torture (Dreamblade) 2/3/11

Well, I decided I would give a try at custom terrain.

This isn't terrain I made but I am using each piece as interactive terrain so I will post them here.

I got several of the "structure" pieces from the Dreamblade game...

Soulwash Temple ........................... Tower of Unquenched Flame

Gateway to Psychosis .................. Pearlthorn Castle

Tower of Faces ............................. Citadel of Torture

I will be designing powers for each piece. The first one I have finished is the Citadel of Torture which has a Treasure Glyph to go with it...

If you have any thoughts on the Citadel of Torture or ideas for the other pieces be sure to let me know.

Rocks & Trees
I wanted some more mountain terrain with thick forest areas so I made these. They are pretty simple to make so I will probably make some more.

I got a deal on the trees- 21 of them for $2 after Christmas. I still have to de-flock the trees with the snow on them.

The cave can be used in scenarios. As is, the figure in the cave receives 1 additional defense die against non-adjacent attacks.

I made the trees removable so I can use just the bare rocks if I want.

The full size pics can be seen here.

Marro Defense Perimeter
This was my entry for the Speed Custom Terrain Contest. I made it from beginning to end in about 8 hours. The only materials used in its construction were hot glue and three plastic Easter eggs.

As I stated previously, I like interactive terrain so there is a rules sheet for using the defense perimeter.

An overview...

The AE attempt to free one of their fellow soldiers who has been ensnared by the corrosive living barrier.

I left the AE soldier as a separate piece so the fence can be used with or without him.

The PDF of the rules of use which is available here.

Modular Cave System
I started on these this past summer. With the upcoming release of the DnD MS I had a little more motivation to get them done. When I am done I will have six units. They will each be different but will all fit with one another.

I experimented with a quick way to texturize the foam by using a light coat of spray paint directly on the foam. I am not completely satisfied with the result (but not totally disappointed either). The top is painted black because figures cannot be placed there.
You can see the cut-out foam in the background. These will be textured and painted as well. They will fit in the individual units so that even each unit will have numerous different layouts.

By using a single space tile I can connect the units together in an almost endless combination. With six units I can connect them any which way I want, play a game, and in a matter of minutes rearrange the units and the pieces in each unit to have a totally different map. These will be great when playing a campaign.

Mt. Storm
This is a project that has been sitting partially finished on a shelf for months. I finally got some time to drybrush it last night. I still have three more things to do for it before it is completed
1) Put the hexes on it
2) Build some ladders for it
3) Put some greenery on it

Seeing as I have worked on it on and off since June, I am not sure when I will be able to finish it so I figured I would go ahead and post it as is.

I got this at a yard sale for 50 cents. It also came with a bunch of cave men and dinosaurs. I repainted the cavemen as well for custom units. You can see them here. It was just a one sided deal so I...

...used foam to build a back side to it. I then covered it with spackle and then coated that with a mixture of water and glue to give it some "toughness".

Then I painted it.

It fits pretty well on hexes, not perfect but well enough that it will work fine for a game. It is 37 levels high total. The main upper level is 25 levels high. Like I said before, I will be adding a system of ladders for non-fliers.

I made it specifically for a major campaign I am developing for my group. It has special rules and such for figures on the mountain and the cave actually leads to a cave system (which is another project in development). It can, of course, be used in normal games as well.

Not a bad piece of terrain for only $0.50.

EDITED: I edited the defense bonus offered by the Blood Fronds to prevent a figure from getting the bonus when being attacked by a Blood Frond.

The rationale behind the bonus:
-- Bonus from non-adjacent attack per TJ terrain rules
-- Bonus from adjacent attack: If you knew that if you got too close to a plant it might trap you and eat you, would you keep a safe distance even if you were attacking someone adjacent to the plant? This desire for self-preservation was the thought behind the adjacent attack bonus.

Bood Fronds

They are nothing spectacular to see or make but i hope they bring some added spice to the game.
If you like the concept you can download the PDF of the rules for using them here.
I am going to attempt to offer a tutorial on how I made the treasure pile. This is my first attempt at a TUT so bear with me if you get to the end and are left scratching your head going or . My apologies in advance for some of the fuzzy photos.
Spoiler Alert!

This is a treasure pile I made for a scenario I created. I know it is a lot of pics but I thought each was necessary. I left the treasure chest separate so it could be used as a an individual object if wanted.

It is made out of blue insulation foam carved with a utility knife (I discovered you shouldn't use dollar store utility knives- they bend and warp while you are cutting). I have since purchased a hot wire knife for any future projects using the foam. The bricks were carved with my Dremel.

My dry brush technique needs work, I know. I will assume that I will get better at it with experience.

Last edited by Lamaclown; February 3rd, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Xzaldar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Lamaclown's Custom Terrain

WHOA

I will not stop until I make the worlds best heroscape custom and the best map!
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

That thing is SWEET. You did an excellent job on carving the bricks (something I can appreciate with my last two customs), not to mention the beautiful paint job. Very good work! If this is only your first attempt at customs, them I can't wait to see what else you can do. For the two conical things on the wall, did you use corks from bottles or something?

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Love it!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Gidian has disabled reputation

Hi Lavaclown,

that is a really good start at custom terrain. Very good job - not just because it is your first one.
Just one tipp: I would continue the stone structure on the top of the wall as well to give it a more realistic look. Would make it even nicer I think.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian View Post
Hi Lavaclown,

that is a really good start at custom terrain. Very good job - not just because it is your first one.
Just one tipp: I would continue the stone structure on the top of the wall as well to give it a more realistic look. Would make it even nicer I think.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian

Take it from a true master of custom terrain, Lamaclown!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian View Post
Hi Lavaclown,

Greetings from Germany

Gidian

Take it from a true master of custom terrain, Lamaclown!
Gidian's terrain objects have been inspiring me since I first joined the site. Any tips he gives I consider truth, not simply opinion.

To all, thank you very much for the encouragement on my first project!

I am working on a scenario specific object for a scenario I created. I will post some pics as soon as I get it done.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like it. A nice thick wall you can walk on.
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM

The Walrus King is surprisingly tart

Good idea. I like it! I've been thinking about trying foam and after seeing this i guess i'll give it a shot

LOSE THE GAME
RULE 1: You are playing the game.
RULE 2: Whenever you think about the game, you lose.
RULE 3: Loss must be announced.

Congrats. You just lost game.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Zaukrie has disabled reputation

Great work. As always, a reminder that burning foam is a neuro toxin, and you should only use a hot wire cutter in a well ventilated room or outside.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM

The Walrus King is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaukrie View Post
Great work. As always, a reminder that burning foam is a neuro toxin, and you should only use a hot wire cutter in a well ventilated room or outside.
... Neuro-toxin? Wow never thought it would be that bad!

LOSE THE GAME
RULE 1: You are playing the game.
RULE 2: Whenever you think about the game, you lose.
RULE 3: Loss must be announced.

Congrats. You just lost game.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Very Nice work LC...I am going to have to steal this idea from you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles