Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old January 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Talos is surprisingly tart
Re: Hex Master hexagon terrain

I picked up set 1, but didn't bother with set 2 as I'm not so keen on the Sci-fi art or the duplication between the two. Love set 1 though and will definitely look at the Caverns to go with D&D Scape. Well done!

Cheers,
Talos

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
- George Carlin
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM

someguy has disabled reputation

Okay, I installed Adobe Reader, and Hexmaster 2 works. But this is a problem.

Every function on my computer (and on yours) is slower now, because I have Adobe Reader installed. The web goes slower. Programs run slower. Adobe Reader is simply one of the most resource-heavy, sloppy brain-drains of a piece of software you can find.

Hexmaster 1 works fine with FoxIt. Hexmaster 2 is the ONLY pdf I've ever found that DOESN'T work with FoxIt. And a .pdf that only works with Adobe Reader is like a website that only opens with AOL's web browser. Adobe Reader is an out-of-date, resource-heavy program, and it makes your entire computer function poorly. People shouldn't need to keep terrible software installed in order to use this product.

Help Scape succeed: Become an active member at boardgamegeek.com, and rate Heroscape a nine or a ten.
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

What are the words I'm looking for.....Oh ya "Boo freaking Hoo! "

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

Export the pages as Bit Maps.

1) select all - in Adobe

2) Copy

3) paste to Paintshop

4) Save as bitmap.

5) Print to 11X8.5 with Cute PDF Writer

6) Open with FoxIt.
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:41 PM

someguy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
What are the words I'm looking for.....Oh ya "Boo freaking Hoo! "
Thank you for the insightful comment.

As the Cnet editors put it, "To put it gently, Adobe Reader is a real pain in the hindquarters. It's monstrously large, slow to load, and includes many features most users will hardly ever need."

A friend recently was ready to buy a new computer because her old one was so slow. I suggested she uninstall Adobe Reader instead. That was all she needed.

I'd request that Fat Dragon Games find a way to make future releases compatible with software that doesn't suck.

Help Scape succeed: Become an active member at boardgamegeek.com, and rate Heroscape a nine or a ten.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

While it may be true that Adobe Reader is slow and big, it seems that FoxIt also has bugs where it can't display all PDF formats correctly. Since the file displays fine in Reader, the PDF file is valid and I don't think Fat Dragon is at fault. I would suggest contacting the authors of FoxIt with a sample PDF that doesn't work in their application, so they can fix it.

(and I've been using Adobe Reader for years, and while it's true that it has a lot of features I never use, it has never slowed my system down or caused problems)

Last edited by GreyOwl; January 9th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Thank you for the insightful comment.
Looks like its game on! So where do I start....(All comments are mine and not those of Fat Dragon Games)
  1. Right or wrong Adobe is the de facto PDF reader out there.
  2. Fat Dragon Games, hence forth known as FDG, decides to make their PDFs to work with Adobe reader.
  3. You choose to use another reader, that is your choice.
  4. Instead of sending a polite email to the guys @ FDG, the preferred 1st step in a customer service issue, you decide it is a much better idea to go right to step #3 and air your dirty laundry in public.
  5. By doing so you open up yourself to ridicule, that's where the rest of us step in.
Maybe you should have taken other courses of action.
  1. While waiting to hear back from FDG ask the community for help.
  2. Print the PDFs you want then uninstall Adobe reader.
  3. Maybe get a new rig. Hell I am working on a 3 year old laptop and I have no issues with Adobe Reader or any FDG PDFs.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

Wow Guys.

Shouldn't you be directing your Mighty Rage at the true evil villains in this dastardly plot of PDF incompatibility. ADOBE and FOXIT they are the ones who are having the Issues.

FDG has to ensure the his stuff is compatible with the industry PDF standard. That is, unfortunately ADOBE. Foxit is only a clone and obviously not a fully functioning one.

If you manage to print one full set of the Hex Master package. Keep it and just make colour copies from them. No More PDF Issue.

As for the hostility, solve it on the board like Gentlemen rather than Utgar Trash.

Cheers.
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Huge Fanboy

You're right lets blame the real villains....blame Canada.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
You're right lets blame the real villains....blame Canada.
/Kick Hahnarama in nuts.

My Customs
Winter Olympics = $6,000,000,000
Gold Medal Hockey Tickets = $2,000
Seeing an American Politician forced to wear a Canadian Jersey = Priceless
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Huge Fanboy

BRING IT!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Fat Dragon Games is surprisingly tart

Hey 'Someguy'!

Sorry, I don't get on these boards everyday, and I checked with the other guys here and we did not receive any e-mails from you at the FDG address (this is what I check multiple times a day to keep on top of stuff like this.) Sorry about your trouble. We've been at this for about five years now, and while Adobe Reader isn't fantastic, it is what works for the vast majority of our customers and is considered the 'industry standard' so we gear our stuff for it, especially now that we're getting into adding user customizable layers for the set. We want you to be happy with your purchase, so let me know if there is anything we can do to fix this for you, and if not I will gladly refund your money (please contact me off board at the e-mail link on our site to make arrangements.)

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News