Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Notices

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!
Project Pokemon Brainstorming Thread: Evolution

Welcome to the Brainstorming Thread
for Project Pokémon!

(General discussion about Project Pokémon occurs here.)
(Visit the Playtesting Thread here. Currently in Playtesting: Sandshrew & Squirtle)
(Participate in the Design Thread here. Currently in Design: N/A)

Goals of the Brainstorming Thread

This thread provides the opportunity for Trainers and Allies alike to brainstorm about ideas for the future of Project Pokemon. This thread will act is a space for topics that aren't necessarily prevalent to what is going on in the Main, Design, or Playtesting threads, but important to the project as a whole.

Rules of the Brainstorming Thread

"The most important rule to remember is to please keep things polite. We are all working toward the same goal. Although we will not always agree with one another, all we ask if that you be polite about the way you express your opinions. If you cannot express your opinion nicely simply do not comment. If you find fault with another person's conduct, PM another core group member or myself."
-Wulfhunter667

Beyond that, everyone is free to post, just try to keep it on topic for the most part. This is the perfect spot to post your abstract ideas or deep concerns for the project, so bring up the issue at anytime. I'll be sure to keep a record of every topic that comes our way, and if we don't derail a current discussion to talk about yours, then I'll bring it back up when we're ready to move onto something new.

Some Helpful Links

Bulbapedia: The Wikipedia of Pokemon
Serebii: Pokemon Data Archive

or my favorite... If you can't find anything, just google...
1) "<Pokemon's Name>"
2) "<Pokemon Type> Type Pokemon"
3) "<Pokemon Move Name> Move Pokemon"
4) etc.
Usually the first or second link will be just what you were looking for.

There's No Such Thing As a Stupid Question

So feel free to ask anything that's on your mind. If it isn't answered on the thread, PM me or another Project Pokemon member if we don't PM you the answer first.

Last edited by Kaiyu; September 24th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Project Pokemon Brainstorming Thread: Grand Opening

Welcome! For our first topic of interest:

In an effort to get a better picture of what the future holds for Project Pokemon, I'd like to begin giving all 151 Pokemon an overview. The simple way to say it, we're going to be looking over all 151 Pokemon, and listing all their relevant moves to Poke'scape. So moves that seem out of place, like Sandshrew's Poison Sting can be left out. The point of this is to get some insight on all of our Pokemon when we look at them as a whole, and nothing more. It is not a pre-destined list or really determines anything, but it will create a quick reference for design as well as place all of our ducks in a row. We'll be able to quickly see which Pokemon and which moves will see a lot of overlap, which can give us a heads up to avoid trouble. It will also reveal which moves will see no overlap, so we can assign those moves with ease. To make this task less overwhelming, it will be taken in chunks. We'll start with one Type and work from there. Remember, there's no reason to get too official or bureaucratic about it this. Shall we start with Ghost Type Pokemon since its smaller and relevant to Ghastly's discussion?
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Kaiyu; July 22nd, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Are we keeping the discussion to the first 151? You went all the way up to 487 for the ghost types.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Are we keeping the discussion to the first 151? You went all the way up to 487 for the ghost types.
Good point. Lets add Midsrevious at least since most people accept Johto, and we'd only have 3 otherwise.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Or we could just do it by number. Like, 1-10 and then 11-20, etc.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I agree with kaiyu that it would be better to take all of a single type. With water types, for example, we could see which Pokemon might use Water Gun, Hydro Pump, etc...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:25 PM

I imagine people submitting lists like this, then we can discuss if there are some moves that we should take off or add.
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:54 PM
My Mask Fell Off...

minimoose38 is surprisingly tart

It is a good thing that this thread was made. Discussion on gastly had no hope of survival amongst all the new stuff in the main discussion thread.
The List of moves Kaiyu posted look good for the ghost types. A couple of TM moves that Gengar usually is taught in the competitive environment are : Thunderbolt and Focus blast. I'm not too sure how good of type coverage we want to give our pokemon but I am under the impression that the final forms should have moves as a competitive trainer would teach them. That would mean special attacks that aren't just the pokemon's type.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:28 AM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I am assuming that it is all right to post stuff like this here? I don't want to (further) derail the main thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
As far as implementation goes, I see the above options as being the most practical if we are going to maintain Classic Scape compatibility.
I've been meaning to bring this up for a while. Classic Heroscape compatibility has come up a lot lately, and you guys need to remember that it takes a lot to break compatibility. Like, you have to modify the basic rules of the game (like height and stuff) and then base the price of the units around those modified rules, for the figures to not be compatible with classic Heroscape. Theoretically we can add as much as we want and it would still work fine, we just can't start removing stuff.

But anyways, the main reason I bring this up: I still absolutely hate the whole "status effects must be spelled out on the card" thing. Putting that stuff in the rulebook CANNOT BREAK CLASSIC HEROSCAPE COMPATIBILITY. It is 100% impossible. I don't even know where you guys got that idea from, but it makes absolutely no sense. If we weren't going to standardize the status effects then we would definitely have to spell it out on the card, but we have planned on standardizing them from the beginning! Why in the world are we placing this horrible limitation on designers (half the card, tons of valuable space for cool attacks and abilities, gets taken up because of ONE status effect description).

I was kind of planning out Magneton in my head, and I had the thought to give him Tri-Attack. How many Pokemon can learn Tri-Attack? Like two? It is such a cool attack! And then I realized that I can't give him Tri-Attack, because there isn't even room for 2 status effect descriptions, never mind 3, plus levitate, plus whatever else I give him. Cross one excellent attack off the list.

When you get right down to it, we are WASTING, completely and utterly WASTING tons of precious card space to put these status effects there, when we could easily standardize them and put them in the rulebook. Give me one good reason why we can't put these status effects in the rulebook. We already voted on it? No, that can easily be changed. It will break compatibility with classic heroscape? No, it won't. It is impossible. It makes no sense. This should NEEDS, to be changed. I am sick of wasting tons of space on the cards. It is incredibly limiting, and has already prevented us from giving Pikachu's Thundershock the ability to inflict paralysis. What's next on the list of attacks that get stripped down because we are wasting half the card?

Explain to me why putting the status effects in the rulebook will break Classic Heroscape compatibility and I will gladly stand down on this matter.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; July 23rd, 2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: fixed a broken sentence
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:13 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimoose38 View Post
It is a good thing that this thread was made. Discussion on gastly had no hope of survival amongst all the new stuff in the main discussion thread.
The List of moves Kaiyu posted look good for the ghost types. A couple of TM moves that Gengar usually is taught in the competitive environment are : Thunderbolt and Focus blast. I'm not too sure how good of type coverage we want to give our pokemon but I am under the impression that the final forms should have moves as a competitive trainer would teach them. That would mean special attacks that aren't just the pokemon's type.
I don't know. I'd kinda like the pokemon with their natural moves. Maybe a few TM's and HM's here and there but for the most part, I'd like it to stay with their natural moves. It just seems more thematic to me. I want a gengar eating dreams and the like, not thunderbolting people.

WA, personally I don't see a problem with putting status effects in the rules book. To me it's like putting the rules for wound markers in the rule book, the grenade marker, etc.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:46 AM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Explain to me why putting the status effects in the rulebook will break Classic Heroscape compatibility and I will gladly stand down on this matter.
Allow me to reiterate this point to you again. Way back when I started this whole thing, we had this exact same arguement. It was decided by the group that the cards we create here will be 100% Classic HS compatible. Now tell me, in which HS rulebook do you find special power effects for figures? Last time I checked, ALL special powers for a figure are written on the card, no matter how long the text is. I have Charizard coming up (eventually...) and Flying alone is going to take up quite a bit of space by itself. And if I want 2 more powers, the text will end up mushed together. So, I have to think to myself, which is more important to me, as the creator, the group, who I'm prsenting it too and the community at large, who we're doing this for in the first place. I won't comprise my vision of Charizard, but I will take all of those factors into account when I create the card. WA, you said you're worried about Tri-Attack? Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I always saw Tri-Attack as more of an iconic power for Dodrio than Magneton. That's kind of the reason I told Kaiyu to start this thread in the first place. If we have this as a reference for future cards, maybe we can avoid some overlapping powers. Now, don't misunderstand me here. If you want to put Tri-Attack on Magneton, go right ahead, that's your choice. But think about it before you do it. Further, since we are implementing your normal attack typing system into the cards, in the long run, we could end up possibly seeing cards with up to five powers on them, in Pokescape terms. Our options here are far from limited, but they do need to be done properly and with quite a bit of forethought. Lastly, I will remind you of the original reason I started this whole project in the first place. I started this thing to have a way for my kids and I to relate to this game in a completely different way. Now, I don't know what kind of experience you have with kids, but let me tell you, it's difficult enough to get them to read the powers on the cards and I wouldn't want to think about how difficult it would be to get them to rereference the rulesbook everytime they used a power with a status effect. It's bad enough the official HS language and wording is the way it is. My kids have a hard time dealing with it sometimes. But to have to force them to look something up in a book when they could just read it on the card? That's just torture. I'm grown, and I don't want to have to keep rereferencing the rulesbook either. Put it on the card, nice and neat in front of you, pretty as you please.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:03 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

Not to disagree with anyone, but the only thing that I can think of that in Official Heroscape that is close to what WA is in the heroes cards, the superstength symbol.

Now I know that many people say it's not compatible with classic scape, but it is, it's just not balanced as well as the classic figures.

I think another option would be to do the following, make cards for the effects, this would satisfy both parties. (like the glyph cards) You don't have to keep looking up things in a rules book (the card is still right there in front of you) and you get to save space on the pokemon card.

The bad thing I can see about this though is that it's one more card you have to print off and more color ink to use.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum