Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old June 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
The Joy of New Expansion

Well let me start this post out by saying this is the first real post I've made in a long time. For those who have been here for a while you may remember when I posted like crazy. But with almost a year of no new expansions I've become quite the casual contributor to heroscapers.com. But I've been gradually getting more and more excited over the past several months. This week I've been really pumped. Why?

New Heroscape! How long has it been since we first saw the awesome detail of the jungle trees?....The great sculpts of wave 8 and those new large figures? I remember seeing that large Marro snake and just hoping it had some sort of constrictor squeeze special and turns out it practically does!

I'm 2 days away from my housemousegames purchase arriving at my doorstep and having the first game in my house in about 2-3 months.

*Speaking of housemouse you can order anything you can think of from them by going to www.housemousegames.com - It's a shameless plug but Sandra has taken care of 100% of my scaping needs since Day 1.*

Now back to my post....

I can't wait to just rip the boxes right open and throw them on a map. It's seriously like Christmas for me. Sure it's nice to open presents on the holidays but getting new scape is one of the few times per year where I invoke the memories of that enthusiasm you would have as a kid. This seriously may be the greatest table game ever designed. (in my opinion). To give you some perspective of where I'm coming from, here is a list of all my favorites I've played over the years in no particular order:

Star Wars Epic Duels, Crossbows & Catapults, HeroQuest (and Advanced HeroQuest), Hotels, Risk, Stratego, Shadows over Camelot, A Game of Thrones, Clue, Chainsaw Warrior, Gammarauders, Fireball Island, Robo Rally, Polarity and Scotland Yard.

Heroscape has everything I could want in a game: simple rules, endless replayability - every game is always different, endless expandability - the game can be as small or as big as you want which means you can play a 15 minute game or a weekend campaign, there are lots of character choices - all with flavor for anybody who digs that sort of thing, lots of different terrain for anybody who loved Lego as a kid, and did I mention simple rules?

I love that I can teach somebody how to play Heroscape in about 15 minutes. They may not know which figures work well with each other or understand any of the strategies but they'll know how to move, how a turn works, and how to fight with the dice. And you can always give newbies a good synergistic group and give them a basic 20 second strategy that should make for an entertaining game.

For me it's about having fun and playing with different figures more so than winning although winning is great. I'd rather play with Dund and maybe not win than never play with Dund. He's got a cool special when you think about it. I remember back in the day always using Ne-Gok-Sa and never pulling off the Mindshackle in an actual game. There used to be posts on the message boards talking about whether it actually happened or not. There would always be that one guy who claimed to have done it multiple times.....in a row.....uphill....both ways.

So as I reminisce about gaming and my history with this community and the game of Heroscape I can't help but get really excited that it's been almost 3 years and the game is still around, the community is still going - quite possibly stronger than ever, and the future looks good for the game.

Long live Heroscape.

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Old June 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM

Majai of Dreams is surprisingly tart
Re: The Joy of New Expansion

I like what you said about Dund.

I also like to try and throw a unit or two into every army I make that is more "fun" than "powerful".

I personally have argued that there is no such thing as a weak unit. They all are awesome if used just right.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart
Re: The Joy of New Expansion

Hey then you can have multiple Christmases all year round
two (or three) is always better than one

DeadEye
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:40 PM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majai of Dreams View Post
I personally have argued that there is no such thing as a weak unit. They all are awesome if used just right.
I agree. It's more fun to me to gradually use everybody than always play the favorite figures. If used right they all can be deadly. And I like playing with 1,000 points on each side sometimes just to see as much synergy as possible in one game.

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Last edited by Dysole; March 30th, 2020 at 10:19 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion