Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Strategic Maneuvers Tips and Tricks: Leashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Okay, I'm just not getting it. Why is it any better to be behind the figure than in front of it? Doesn't seem to really matter to me. What am I missing? Plus if you're in front of them, they have to go around your figure if they want to disengage, thus slowing their forward movement...

Also, I would think Samurai would be excellent leashing units because the "leashed" figure has to either take the leaving engagement strike or risk a counterstrike if they try to destroy the leasher...

Brandon
Putting the figure behind the enemy and not in front of it is to make sure the enemy cannot advance any further without taking a disengagement hit. Actually, if you're in front of them, they can still move two to three hexes in their desired direction without disengaging, and then can attack. If your leashing figure is behind, they must waste their entire move to attack, or chance the disengagement hit.

If you can throw out a dirt cheap unit (a venoc viper, for example) out their to leash something powerful, the leashed figure must waste an entire turn to kill something relatively worthless, or let that relatively worthless figure take a shot at a free hit. There was something in an old Codex, I believe, by UranusPChicago. He showed a strategy in which a venoc viper blocked a bridge against Grimnak. Grimnak couldn't use his full move and didn't need his full attack. The move gave the Venoc player another turn to do something with the rest of his forces. (I apologize if this was not in a codex, or not by UranusPChicago. I mean to give credit to whom it belongs. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows where that was, please say something so I can change my post.)

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay, that makes a little more sense. I'll think on it...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Thumbs up Re: Strategic Maneuvers Tips and Tricks: Leashing

Wow! Thanks! This is really helpful!
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

As long as this thread is around, I may as well suggest the Zombies as they can regenerate and your opponent doesn't kill the singular zombie, they could very well have an Onslaught in their neighborhood very soon.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:32 PM

patzymur knows what's in an order marker patzymur knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Nicely explained Tai-pan. I think this is something many of us already do either without realizing it (since that's pretty much what the Deathreavers are for), and/or not having a tactical name (and well explained write up) to go with it.

As nyys says, this is a nice codification of a gut strategy. I like it. The one thing that I'd argue tho - I think Q9 is susceptible to leashing. He has multi-attack. But he's also high defense and low life. That is, he's hard to wound by normal means and it's a risk of 1/4 of his life to take a single leaving engagement swipe. Also, since he's one of the few characters with built in LOS blockers, it's possible to put 2 squaddies on either side of his shoulder pads, so to be able to attack them, he has to turn on his double base and receive a swipe from one of the two. He's hard to deal with in any fashion, but getting him engaged and challenging him to move is one that I like to use.

Namaste,
'zymur
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:35 AM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Hello, sometime I have used and I feel is in the same idea as leashing with the dog on the leash not able to get my units, is to place your units when approaching the enemy so that in their next turn they are not able to make attacks. Place your units so that in the opponents next turn if he/she is to advance to their full potential they are unable to reach your units preserving the first attack for yourself.

This strategy reminds me of chess where you try not to get any of your pieces destroyed but while continuing to advance. In heroscape you are unable to advance because any unit can attack any unit and just needs range but the preservation of your units in this case is still the same.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles