Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 1st, 2017, 08:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Those are some nicely thematic armies, K.! Yet again, the flexibility of Heroscape shines through to yet another media tie in Intellectual Property.
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:14 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool armies.

Su-Bak's Dragon would look nice on team Undead.
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:11 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

The Lannisters
Templar Knights x 2
Knights of Weston x 2
Heracles
plus 16 spaces:
Sir Gilbert
Hatamoto Taro
Kozuke Samurai
Kaemon
Tomoe Gozen
Tagawa Samurai

Tagawa Samurai Archers x 2

The North
Frost Giant of Mohr x 3
Shieldsmiths x 2
plus 16 spaces:
Axegrinders x 2
Mogrimm
Migol
Ulfrid Hornwrangler
Valguard
Tarn Viking Warriors

The Targaryen
Mimring
Moltenclaw
Cathar Spearmen x 2
plus 16 spaces:
Sonlen
Syvarris

Spartacus
Crixus
Capuan Gladiators x 2

Aubrien Archers x 2

The Undead
Nilfeim
Undead Leader (Sir Dupuis)
Zombies x 6
Shurrak
Ogre Warhulk

Grigor & Rogirg

plus 16 spaces:
Bramcephys
Ogre Pulverizer
Taelord
Pel the Hill Giant
Ninjas of the Northern Wind
Morgoloth
Master of the Hunt x 2
Granite Guardians x 2

Seriously considering reducing, yet again, the number of base spaces, given how many spaces the mandatory units are taking up [or just building all the #%^* Armies myself].

Old September 1st, 2017, 12:48 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think this is an awesome idea @kolakoski

I'm considering a scenario myself. I'm considering this with some adjustments. The biggest thing I'd change is with regards to alliances. I don't think the Lannisters should win the scenario if the Targareans/North do. The undead army should be overwhelmingly strong and require combined efforts among the three human armies, but only to a point where the Lannisters need the alliance, at which point they would turn and try to take advantage of the situation.

1 undead player (who wins if their army is last remaining)
1 Targarean player and 1 North player (who win together if both Undead and Lannisters are defeated)
1 Lannisters player (who wins if their army is last remaining)

Condition: At the start of round X, the Lannisters cannot move into engagement or range attack the undead unless the Targareans and the North have both been defeated

I think this could be really, really interesting. Granted this makes balance even trickier to accomplish. What should X be? What size army should the undead have? Etc.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for inspiring!
Old September 1st, 2017, 06:29 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
I think this is an awesome idea @kolakoski

I'm considering a scenario myself. I'm considering this with some adjustments. The biggest thing I'd change is with regards to alliances. I don't think the Lannisters should win the scenario if the Targareans/North do. The undead army should be overwhelmingly strong and require combined efforts among the three human armies, but only to a point where the Lannisters need the alliance, at which point they would turn and try to take advantage of the situation.

1 undead player (who wins if their army is last remaining)
1 Targarean player and 1 North player (who win together if both Undead and Lannisters are defeated)
1 Lannisters player (who wins if their army is last remaining)

Condition: At the start of round X, the Lannisters cannot move into engagement or range attack the undead unless the Targareans and the North have both been defeated

I think this could be really, really interesting. Granted this makes balance even trickier to accomplish. What should X be? What size army should the undead have? Etc.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for inspiring!
Thanks for your reply. I've decided to micromanage this scenario, and build the Armies in advance, being very specific about who in the cast is represented by what unit(s). I may be wrong, but isn't Jaimie leading the Lannisters in spite of Cersi? Even if that's not true yet, I don't think she can wait that long. I posit that Jon Snow returns to the North to lead its forces. The Targaryens will follow. The Lannisters will follow later. So. I will free build a map with a Castle footprint (height no more than 3-5) near the center. The North will set up there. The Targaryens and Lannisters will set up at one end of the map, and the Undead on the other. The Targaryens will sit out Round 1 (travel time), and the Lannisters will sit out Rounds 1 and 2. (travel time and intentional delay). The Armies are almost done, and will appear in the next post. I will again rewrite the scenario to reflect this, and will modify/add some stats and Special Powers.

Last edited by kolakoski; September 1st, 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:09 AM

Well met!

The latest draft, with pre-built Armies, and revised/additional Special Rules:

Game of Thrones
The Undead Invasion

The Map.

An area south of the Wall. There shall be a Castle footprint (within which is a Glyph of Ultimate Power), containing height of no more than five Levels, roughly in the center of the Map. The Alliance Start Zones (for the Lannisters and the Targaryen) ar at one end of the Map, and the Undead Start Zone is at the other. The Army of the North begins the game set up in the Castle footprint.

The Armies.

Each of the Gang of Four shall field one of the following faction Armies:

The Lannisters.
Knights of Weston x 2
Templar Knights x 2

Kozuke Samurai
Tagawa Samurai

Sir Gilbert
Sir Denrik
Morgoloth
Tomoe Gozen
Martial La Hire
Master of the Hunt

The North.
Shieldsmiths x 2
Axegrinders x 2
MacDirks x 2

Frost Giant x 3
Alastair
Bahadur
Kaemon
Mogrimm
Thorgrim
Migol

The Targaryen.

Cathar Spearmen x 2
Capuan Gladiators x 2
Aubrien Archers x 2

Romans x 2
Mimring
Moltenclaw
Sonlen
Spartacus
Crixus
Arashara
Marcus

The Undead.

Anubian Wolves x 2
Heavy Gruts x 2

Nhah Scirh Cultists x 2
Granite Guardians x 2

Monks x 2
Reckets
Master Woo
Bramcephys
Krug
Ogre Warhulk
Shurrak
Grigor & Rogirg
Jotun
Wyvern

Pel the Hill Giant
Ogre Pulverizer
Racheim

The other three factions are allied against the Undead.

Special Rules.

Travel Time. The Targaryen may not place OMs until the beginning of Round 2.

Cersi's Disinclination. The Lannisters may not place OMs until the beginning of Round 3.

The Reckets. The Reckets begin the game in the Undead Army Start Zone.

Dragons. Mimring, Moltenclaw, and Nilfeim shall have base stats: 6 Life, 6 Move, 6 Attack, and 8 Defense.

The Undead. The Undead player shall have two sets of Order Markers (OMs). One set shall be placed on Squad Cards (Unique or Common), and the other on Hero Cards, unless there are only Hero or Squad Cards remaining, in which case all the OMs may be placed on Cards of the remaining type. Each Round, the Undead player rolls for Initiative only once, and reveals OMs on two cards per turn, and takes a turn with each of them, after which a "full turn" is considered to have been taken.

All units in the Undead Army shall have the Species Undead, (in addition to that on their Cards), and shall be subject to the following Special Powers (in addition to any others on their Cards):

Necromancy. When a unit you control is destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, place that unit on the army card of the Undead Leader.

Reanimation. After revealing an order marker on any Army Card, before taking a turn, you may remove one previously destroyed unit from the Army Card of the Undead Leader and place it on any empty space adjacent to the Undead Leader.

Undead Legion. After taking a full turn, you may move two unengaged units you control who did not move or attack during this full turn up to 4 spaces each.

Undead Leader. Only the Undead Army may field Sir Dupuis, who must be the Undead Leader. The Undead Leader shall have base stats: 6 Life, 8 Move, 6 Attack, and 6 Defense, and the following Special Power (instead of those on his Card):

Dragonslayer. After moving and before attacking, you may choose any opponent's Huge figure within 5 clear sight spaces. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-15, nothing happens. If you roll a 16 or higher, the chosen figure is destroyed.

Victory Conditions.

The Alliance wins if the Undead Leader is destroyed.

The Undead win if the Undead Leader stands on the Glyph of Ultimate Power for one full Round.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:21 AM

Well met!

Rewrote Map description.

Created a list of designated Heroes for each Alliance faction.

Added Moriko to the Targaryen Heroes.

Added Master Woo and Monks x 2 to the Lannisters.

Replaced Master Woo and Monks x 2 with Sir Hawthorne, Hydra, Brutes x 2 and Cutters x 2 in the Undead Army.

Defined "Alliance."

Deleted Time to Travel and Cersi's Discretion from Special Rules.

Rewrote Victory Conditions.

Reduced the end game duration to five Rounds.

Note: These changes were made to play out the Game of Thrones after the Undead are defeated (if they are), and keep the Undead player in the game if that happens.

Game of Thrones
The Undead Invasion

The Map.

An area south of the Wall. The Alliance Start Zones (for the Lannisters and the Targaryen) are at one end of the Map, and the Undead Start Zone is at the other. There shall be a Castle Footprint (within which is a Glyph of Ultimate Power), containing height of no more than five Levels, roughly centered between them. The Army of the North begins the game set up within the Castle Footprint.

The Armies.

The Lannisters.
Knights of Weston x 2
Templar Knights x 2
Monks x 2
Kozuke Samurai
Tagawa Samurai

The Lannister Heroes.
Sir Gilbert
Sir Denrik
Morgoloth
Tomoe Gozen
Master Woo
Master of the Hunt

The North.
Frost Giant x 3
Shieldsmiths x 2
Axegrinders x 2
MacDirks x 2

The Northern Heroes.
Alastair
Bahadur
Kaemon
Mogrimm
Thorgrim
Migol

The Targaryen.
Cathar Spearmen x 2
Capuan Gladiators x 2
Aubrien Archers x 2
Romans x 2
Mimring
Moltenclaw

The Targaryen Heroes.
Sonlen
Spartacus
Crixus
Arashara
Marcus
Moriko

The Undead.
Anubian Wolves x 2
Heavy Gruts x 2
Nhah Scirh Cultists x 2
Granite Guardians x 2
Brutes x 2
Cutters x 2
Rechets

Sir Dupuis
Nilfeim

Bramcephys
Krug
Sir Hawthorne
Hydra

Ogre Warhulk
Shurrak
Grigor & Rogirg
Jotun
Wyvern
Pel the Hill Giant
Ogre Pulverizer
Racheim

The other three factions are allied against the Undead, collectively, the "Alliance."

Special Rules.

The Rechets. The Rechets begin the game in the Undead Army Start Zone.

Dragons. Mimring, Moltenclaw, and Nilfeim shall have base stats: 6 Life, 6 Move, 6 Attack, and 8 Defense.

The Undead. The Undead player shall have two sets of Order Markers (OMs). One set shall be placed on Squad Cards (Unique or Common), and the other on Hero Cards, unless there are only Hero or Squad Cards remaining, in which case all the OMs may be placed on Cards of the remaining type. Each Round, the Undead player rolls for Initiative only once, and reveals OMs on two cards per turn, and takes a turn with each of them, after which a "full turn" is considered to have been taken.

All units in the Undead Army shall be considered followers of Utgar, and have the Species Undead, (in addition to that on their Cards), and shall be subject to the following Special Powers (in addition to any others on their Cards):

Necromancy. When a unit you control is destroyed, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, place that unit on the army card of the Undead Leader.

Reanimation. After revealing an order marker on any Army Card, before taking a turn, you may remove one previously destroyed unit from the Army Card of the Undead Leader and place it on any empty space adjacent to the Undead Leader.

Undead Legion. After taking a full turn, you may move two unengaged units you control who did not move or attack during this full turn up to 4 spaces each.

Undead Leader. Only the Undead Army may field Sir Dupuis, who must be the Undead Leader. The Undead Leader shall have base stats: 6 Life, 8 Move, 6 Attack, and 6 Defense, and the following Special Power (instead of those on his Card):

Dragonslayer. After moving and before attacking, you may choose any opponent's Huge figure within 5 clear sight spaces. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-15, nothing happens. If you roll a 16 or higher, the chosen figure is destroyed.

The Alliance. After the first five Rounds, only the Lannisters may attack the other members of the Alliance. If and when they do, the Alliance is broken. The Alliance is , in any event, also broken if and when the Undead Leader is destroyed.

Victory Conditions.

The Undead immediately win, and the game is over, if the Undead Leader stands on the Glyph of Ultimate Power for one full Round.

If the Undead have not won by the end of 10 Rounds and the Undead Leader has not been destroyed, play continues in 5 Round increments until either the Undead win (in which case play ends immediately) or the Undead Leader is destroyed.

If the Undead Leader is destroyed, after an additional 10 Rounds:

1. The Lannisters win if there are more Lannister Heroes within the Castle Footprint than Northern and Targaryen Heroes combined;

2. The North and Targaryen share a win if there are more Northern and Targaryen Heroes within the Castle Footprint than Lannister Heroes;

If neither 1 nor 2 above occurs, either by there being no Alliance Heroes, or by there being an identical number of Lannister Heroes and Northern/Targaryen Heroes, within the Castle Footprint, the game is a draw, and no one wins.

Last edited by kolakoski; September 3rd, 2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:04 PM

Well met!

I believe we're done!

I think I've created a reasonable reflection of where we might go in Game of Thrones after the events depicted in the finale.

The Victory Conditions now give the Lannisters motive and means to betray the Alliance, and keep the Undead in the game after the Undead Leader is destroyed.

Questions:

Is the game balanced? I don't mean absolutely, but does each side have a playable chance to win, and are all the Victory Conditions achievable?

Where, relative to the Castle Footprint, should the other Start Zones be placed, to give the Undead a reasonable chance to get/hold the Glyph, and/or beat up on the North before reinforcements arrive, to help balance the end game?

Is our table big enough to hold a Map big enough to contain all these units, and their Cards?

P.S.: As to the last, unlike our normal setup, I think all units, other than those of the North (that begin set up within the Castle Footprint), will begin the game off Map. Also, other than the Cards of the Undead Leader (as figures may be on it), the Tagawa Samurai (that require Bloodlust markers), and whatever Card(s) may receive Bahadur's and/or Thorgrim's Spirits, players' Cards may be stacked, with only the Cards receiving OMs being displayed. In such case, the
Undead Leader must enter during the first turn.

Last edited by kolakoski; September 3rd, 2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old September 4th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Well met!

Reasonable force reduction?

The Lannisters.

Knights of Weston x 2
Templar Knights x 2

The Lannister Heroes.
Alastair
Sir Gilbert
Sir Denrik
Morgoloth
Master of the Hunt

The North.
Frost Giant x 3
Axegrinders x 2

The Northern Heroes.

Bahadur
Kaemon
Mogrimm
Migol

Ulfrid Hornwrangler

The Targaryen.

Aubrien Archers x 2
Capuan Gladiators x 2
Mimring
Moltenclaw

The Targaryen Heroes.
Sonlen
Spartacus
Crixus

Priscus
Moriko

The Undead.

Knights of Blackgaard x 2
Heavy Gruts x 2

Nhah Scirh Cultists x 2
Brutes x 2

Sir Dupuis
Nilfeim

Bramcephys
Krug
Sir Hawthorne
Ogre Warhulk
Shurrak
Grigor & Rogirg
Jotun
Pel the Hill Giant
Ogre Pulverizer

Last edited by kolakoski; September 4th, 2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:49 PM

Well met!

After a reasonable force reduction . . .

Game of Thrones

The Undead Invasion

The Map.

An area south of the Wall. The Alliance Start Zones (for the Lannisters and the Targaryen) are at one end of the Map, and the Undead Start Zone is at the other.

There shall be a Castle Footprint (within which is a Glyph of Ultimate Power), containing height of no more than five Levels, roughly centered between them. The Army of the North begins the game set up within the Castle Footprint.

The Armies.

The Lannisters.
Knights of Weston x 2
Templar Knights x 2
Monks x 2

The Lannister Heroes.
Master Woo
Sir Gilbert
Sir Denrik
Morgoloth
Master of the Hunt

The North.
Frost Giant x 3
Axegrinders x 2
Tarn Viking Warriors

The Northern Heroes.
Bahadur
Kaemon
Mogrimm
Migol
Kumiko

The Targaryen.
Aubrien Archers x 2
Capuan Gladiators x 2
Mimring
Moltenclaw

The Targaryen Heroes.
Sonlen
Spartacus
Crixus
Syvarris
Moriko

The Undead.
Knights of Blackgaard x 2
Heavy Gruts x 2
Nhah Scirh Cultists x 2
Brutes x 2
Rechets
Sir Dupuis

Nilfeim
Racheim
Wyvern
Bramcephys
Krug
Sir Hawthorne
Ogre Warhulk
Shurrak
Grigor & Rogirg
Jotun
Pel the Hill Giant
Ogre Pulverizer

The other three factions are allied against the Undead, collectively, the "Alliance."

Special Rules.

Rechets. The Rechets begin the game in the Undead Start Zone.

The Undead Horde. The player controlling the Undead Horde uses two sets of order markers. One set must be used on hero cards, and the other set must be used on squad cards. If either (1) that player's heroes are all destroyed, or (2) that player's squads are all destroyed, the corresponding set of order markers may now be used for any army card remaining in the player's army.

The player controlling the Undead Horde rolls only one initiative die. When revealing order markers and taking turns, that player takes a turn with both sets of order markers, in either order. After the player controlling the undead horde has taken a turn with both order markers, that player's turn is over and it is the next player's turn.

Note: It may be that there is not room on the Map/table for The Undead Army's units/Cards, in which case the Undead Army will begin the game off Map. In such case, the Undead Leader must enter during the first turn. Other than the Card of the Undead Leader (as figures may be on it), Cards may be stacked, with only the Cards receiving OMs being displayed each Round.

Each unit in the Undead Army shall be considered a follower of Utgar, and have the Species Undead, (in addition to that on its Card), and the Personality Relentless (in addition to that on its Card), and shall be subject to the following Special Powers (in addition to any others on its Card):

The Alliance. After the first five Rounds, only the Lannisters may attack the other members of the Alliance. If and when they do, the Alliance is broken. The Alliance is, in any event, also broken if and when the Undead Leader is destroyed.

Victory Conditions.

The Undead immediately win, and the game is over, if the Undead Leader stands on the Glyph of Ultimate Power for one full Round.

If the Undead have not won by the end of 10 Rounds and the Undead Leader has not been destroyed, play continues in 5 Round increments until either the Undead win (in which case play ends immediately) or the Undead Leader is destroyed.

If the Undead Leader is destroyed, after an additional 5 Rounds:

1. The Lannisters win if there are more Lannister Heroes within the Castle Footprint than Northern and Targaryen Heroes combined;

2. The North and Targaryen share a win if there are more Northern and Targaryen Heroes within the Castle Footprint than Lannister Heroes;

If neither 1 nor 2 above occurs, either by there being no Alliance Heroes, or by there being an identical number of Lannister Heroes and Northern/Targaryen Heroes, within the Castle Footprint, the game is a draw, and no one wins.

Note: This is the version we'll playtest on 9/20 [barring any further tweaks].

Last edited by kolakoski; September 6th, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Well met!

Thanks to @DadScaper for this rewrite!

The Undead Horde. The player controlling the Undead Horde uses two sets of order markers. One set must be used on hero cards, and the other set must be used on squad cards. If either (1) that player's heroes are all destroyed, or (2) that player's squads are all destroyed, the corresponding set of order markers may now be used for any army card remaining in the player's army.

The player controlling the Undead Horde rolls only one initiative die. When revealing order markers and taking turns, that player takes a turn with both sets of order markers, in either order. After the player controlling the undead horde has taken a turn with both order markers, that player's turn is over and it is the next player's turn.

Last edited by kolakoski; September 6th, 2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:18 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Our upcoming September scenario will be on a map incorporating a couple of cool miniature Japanese buildings chas brought back from his recent trip to Japan.

It'll be a team game, with the first team to occupy all four glyphs at the end of a round winning the scenario. We'll also be experimenting with some rules for the buildings, plus a cover system that, if successful, I may include in all my future scenarios:

ENTERING BUILDINGS

A small, medium or large figure that moves adjacent to a building may choose to end its movement inside the building. If so, remove the figure from the battlefield and set it aside with any other figures in the building. Any leaving engagement attacks apply. Figures inside a building are never adjacent to figures outside that building. Figures may also land on top of a building.

EXITING BUILDINGS
A figure that begins its turn inside a building may begin its movement at any space adjacent to the building. It may also choose to move onto the top of the building. Any figure exiting a building will take a single leaving engagement attack if there are any opponent's figures inside the building.

FIGHTING IN BUILDINGS
All figures inside a building are adjacent/engaged to each other and on the same level as each other.

FIGHTING FROM BUILDINGS
An unengaged figure inside a building can attack a figure outside the building with a ranged attack. A figure can count the range and determine line of sight from the building itself. Figures inside a building are on Level 1 of the battlefield. Likewise, all figures outside a building have a clear line of sight to the hitzone of any figures inside that building. All figures inside a building have cover (see below) from figures outside the building.

COVER
When a figure attacks a non-adjacent figure, if any part of the defending figure's hitzone is obscured by terrain or an obstacle, the defending figure may re-roll a single defense die.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion