Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Quote:
Originally Posted by VValker
did someone say 3-way............
OK I give up. What does the quarter mean?

- Dwight
Ask him if there is some deep reason.
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Re: 3 way battle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by player_of_football
Anyways my question is, when you play a three man game, everyone for themselves how do you split up your army?
Hi POF. Taking your questions seriously here.

We refer to a 3 player like you describe as a game of "Cutthroat," just like the 3 player variation of Pool. We also used that term in M:TG.

"Cutthroat" certainly describes the atmosphere of a typical 3 player free-for-all.
The addition of another player to the standard duel creates a whole new game requiring different tactics.
Skillful application of subterfuge and diplomacy will be your keys to victory.

The player who seems strongest in the beginning is almost always ganged up on by both of his opponents.
But that alliance will be temporary, and usually ends with a surprise attack as player 2 betrays player 3 once player 1 is sufficiently weakened.

Consider the p sychological effect of your army during the draft stage.
For instance, drafting Q9 will be perceived as a great threat to both of your opponents and probably make him an early target.
Place a bit more emphasis on defense. Your opponents won't worry as much about your high Defense characters as much as your high Attack characters, even though survival is what is going to win the game.

In the game opening, evaluate your opponents' armies for the greatest threats to your units, and begin planning your alliance angle early.
You might want to hold off on drawing "first blood," since that makes you a target for an alliance of your opponents.

Wear your thick skin! These 3 player games can generate a lot more hurt feelings between friends and family than the usual 2 player slugfest, because of the shifting loyalties during the game.
EX.: If you and I have been working together on killing Timmy's Nilfheim and we just succeeded, I might decide to attack you the next turn, even if Timmy still has a few units left.
You may have thought we were going to continue our alliance until Timmy was out of the game. You might get pretty mad at me, and call me bad names!

After playing "Cutthroat" once, most players adapt, and understand that loyalties may change at any time. Some people consider it a part of the game if they lie about something like not attacking you until the other guy is eliminated. I don't do it, but I do expect it to be done to me, so I'm always ready for betrayal.

If the "Diplomacy" factor isn't appealing to you
take a look at some the the 3 player variations in Hasbro's official scenarios in which two players take on one player.

That all being said, I will tell you that "Cutthroat" can be very exciting, and make for some great stories after the battle.
Please let us know how your game goes!
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
I played many 3-way games with RevDyer. And every time I said: "RevDyer, if you attack that ugly Q9 over there, I promise I will not attack your MinuteMen over here.", he always replied: "Yeah, like I'm gonna believe you!"

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM

ares834 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weirdscaper
GENTLEMEN...

One way is to have a 2 vs 1 match.
One player gets twice the points (1000 vs 2 500s)

Of course, you can always build a 3-way death map
with every man, woman, or marro for themselves.

Oops, misunderstood the question...

Yea, it depends on what's on the board and the board itself.
Um 2 vs 1 does not seem fair to me. SUre you have double the units of vallue one so even points in units battling. But the double team gets 6 units to move per round rather then 3. Better if it was 1500 vs 2 500s
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
I played many 3-way games with RevDyer. And every time I said: "RevDyer, if you attack that ugly Q9 over there, I promise I will not attack your MinuteMen over here.", he always replied: "Yeah, like I'm gonna believe you!"
Yeah, and then every time I went over there and attacked that Q9, you turned and killed my 4th Mass squads. <laughing>

The way to win in a three person free for all is to play against LongHeroScaper and me, then just turtle until we've smashed each other up pitifully.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 3 way battle question

My experience is that in a 3-way game, when one opponent starts by marching out to fight, and the other is just looking for height, good positioning, etc. near his start zone or in a quiet area, you should take the fight to the wallflower. Don't allow anyone to have a first-round bye while you duke it out with another opponent, then step in to fight the winner.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Since I'm one of the only people PoF plays with, I know how our 3-ways go. First off, we're not hesitant to call someone a 'coward' because they're sitting there, watching other players killing each other while they just watch. Actually, if someones does do that, we immediately call them 'cowards' or something to make them come out and attack. I don't know if its good or bad, but it always happens. One thing I don't like is when someone creates a temporary alliance with someone, the person who's under attack always complanes and doesn't want to play.(I have to admit, I've done that before, and I know PoF and Skater_11 do it too) Even though I do see the unfairness there, it's only temperary because whatever that person drafted must be powerful, and therefore must be killed quickly!(Hey, thats what you get for drafting Q9, Jotun, Nilfheim, Braxas, or Charos in our 3-ways) :P Other than that, our 3-ways are intense, and are always close.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot that we also call them 'turtles' for not fighting. :P

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:17 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
One interesting way to play with three people, that avoids the problems mentioned, is to play that you can only attack the player to your left (or to your right if you live south of the equator).

This creates an interesting challenge of trying to avoid attacks from one player while trying to make attacks on another. It's a fun variation.

I think this idea originally came from Noodles way back on .net, but it may have been someone else. Sorry if I can't remember the actual source.
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weirdscaper
GENTLEMEN...

One way is to have a 2 vs 1 match.
One player gets twice the points (1000 vs 2 500s)

Of course, you can always build a 3-way death map
with every man, woman, or marro for themselves.

Oops, misunderstood the question...

Yea, it depends on what's on the board and the board itself.
Um 2 vs 1 does not seem fair to me. SUre you have double the units of vallue one so even points in units battling. But the double team gets 6 units to move per round rather then 3. Better if it was 1500 vs 2 500s
GENTLEMEN...

Give the lone player double the order markers.
That will even the playing field, and is fun.
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:15 AM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
I have only played 3 player a dozen times or so but have learned a few lessons in that time.

Play the map.

Defense: Take your time and move your figures into secure positions with supporting units close by. Spread your order markers out amoung your entire force and keep them moving together. If you send any unit out by itself your are going to find it under fire before you are ready thus leaving you with either the choice of placing all your order markers on it and fighting to survive or simply having to let it die.

Don't just get your figures into an easily defended position. Defense is keen but if your opponents see you getting dug in they are going to team up on you and crush you before facing each other. A nice trick I like to use with common squads is to move the majority of a squad into a good position while sending a loner out to engage the enemy. For instance: if you have a common squad of 3 melee figures with a movement of 5 you can use 1 order marker to move 2 figures toward a position and 1 other toward an enemy, on your next order marker move 2 different figures up with the other 2 moving to safety then continue with your lone attacker (who has now moved 10 spaces), continuing you can use the third order marker to move a third set of 2 up with the others and if your loner remains alive continue to use him, if he is dead bring up one of the 4 previously staged figures to the front. While not fully commiting to an attack on an opponent you are at least engaging them thus given the illusion that you are not playing a defensive game. Before the opposition rushes in to stop it you can have two full common squads in an advantageous position with the loss of only a partial squad.

Be selective with your help. If your opponents have engaged one another (or are about to) take a shot at one of the figures of your opponent on your right that is close to encountering your other opponent. If you can take out a figure or two from a squad or knock a hero down a couple notches then your opponent on your left will feel more likely to finish your opponent off rather than pounch on your nearby units.

More later...wife is calling.

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith
One interesting way to play with three people, that avoids the problems mentioned, is to play that you can only attack the player to your left (or to your right if you live south of the equator).

This creates an interesting challenge of trying to avoid attacks from one player while trying to make attacks on another. It's a fun variation.

I think this idea originally came from Noodles way back on .net, but it may have been someone else. Sorry if I can't remember the actual source.
So the player to my right can rampage through my troops without retaliation? That would be tough.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion