Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 30th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Gidian has disabled reputation
What are the heros good for?

I don't know what you think about the heros in Heroscape, but imho most of them are worthless.

Ok, "worthless" might be a bit too hard, but at least in our games they don't play the role, heros should play in mighty battles. Just some of them could win a game but most of them time (in our games) the squads win the games.

Maybe I should tell you first, how we use to play:

I normally play together with 3 friends in two teams. Each of us plays with 400 points and eachs of us plays just one color (Utgar, Vydar, etc.).

Of course, there are some mighty heros like Realin, Major Q9, Deathwalker 9000, some Dragons and some other figures.
But there are a lot of heroes like Agent Carr, Sgt. Drake Alexander and the Gladiators, which seem to be strong at first sight, but normally they are not important to game. They are slow, they can attack just one figure and they don't survive very long. Quite often, roundmarkes on their cards are wasted.

Imo most of the squads are much better and much more efficient than the heros. A squad with four figures is more flexibel and has more attacks. They are cheaper and you can take them twice or more times for the same costs.

Let´s take the roman legionnaires for example. If you take them 8 times, you have 32 figures. Most of the time they are adjacent to at least one other legionnaire. That means they normally have 3 attack and 3 defense dies. There are not many heros which could attack 4 times a turn with 3 attack dies. With a hight bonus you have even 4 times 4 attack dies which is not possible with a special attack. And even if you lose some of them, there are enough other Legnionnaires to use. So you would never waste a round marker.
And they are much more flexible than heros. You could spread them all over the map and attack what ever you want to. Heros often waste a turn because they can't reach someone to attack.

What do you think about the heros in Heroscape? Do you often use figures like Sgt. Drake Alexander or the Gladiators? How do you play them? Maybe we just play them wrong.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I like to play squads. My kid likes to play heroes. I find that if I depend too much on squads she wins more often than not.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I think it has been determined that a combination of Heroes and squads is the most successful army build....As it should be.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Every time I think that Scape leans heavily on squads, some hero will have an amazing game and completely wipe the board clean. I believe a mixed army is best.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Rajaat the Warbringer has disabled reputation
I use a healthy mix or squads and heroes, and I find the heroes to usually be the better picks.

"Go forth, then, and avenge my death!"
-- The ghost of the English language
"A Kingdom of Loathing"
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
If you're going to take a whole army of romans, you'd better take their warlord too. +1 move on all your soldiers is really nice, you'll never need to waste an order marker since the romans bond with him.

Same thing with Vipers. It's foolish to take them without mittens.

And then there's orc heros that buff all the other orcs around them.

yeah, heros are worth it.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpade
If you're going to take a whole army of romans, you'd better take their warlord too. +1 move on all your soldiers is really nice, you'll never need to waste an order marker since the romans bond with him.

Same thing with Vipers. It's foolish to take them without mittens.

And then there's orc heros that buff all the other orcs around them.

yeah, heros are worth it.
Heroes with bonding are wonderful. I feel that without bonding, heroes are sometimes a waste of order markers. The main heroes I feel this way for are the spellcasters (Sudema, Morsbane, even Dund). I really like the concept of these figures, but in use, I feel I waste order markers when failing to roll luckily for their special abilities. Some heroes, however, are as strong as squads. The main thing that makes them strong is the ability to execute multiple attacks. This is what makes Kaemon Awa, Syvarris, and Q9 powerful. Other figures with the chance to have multiple attacks are better than most heroes, but not as good as those which are guaranteed multiple attacks IMO (ex: DW8k, Brunak, as well as those with explosion special attacks that need figures adjacent).

I hope to see more bonding in the upcoming waves, as there has been very little in the past few waves. (Movement bonding is OK, but not as good as full move and attack bonding).
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:30 AM

ares834 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I agree heros with bonding are amazing. Or if you have a hero such as braxas or something that attack multiple units.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Heroes is spelled with an 'e' at the end, not like this - 'heros'.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
Heroes is spelled with an 'e' at the end, not like this - 'heros'.
Unless you are talking about the sandwich, whose spelling when plural can be heros I believe.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I find that a mixed army is best, but I think an all-squad army can be effective too. I've yet to see a really great all-hero army.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
I would like to see someone respond to the particular heroes he mentioned (Carr, Drake, Gladiatiors) and similar heroes that don't bond and can't attack multiple opponents.

I can't respond since I don't use order markers. Are those heroes mentioned useful enough when using order markers?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion