Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:46 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010'S Map Thread! Mitonsoul's Dungeon added 8/5/12

Mitonsoul's Dungeon
Requires: 1 BftU and 1 VW

Enjoy. I made this map thinking of all of the responses I've had from this thread and my failures at BoV submissions. Then I laid out some hexes and it started to look like Marr Highway. Well obviously with a BftU/VW you aren't going to build a similar Marr Highway, so I started to add in width. It seems the biggest problem with BftU/One Expansion is that armies that include Rats easily clog it up and that the rats can reach glyphs in either one turn or armies of Knights reach it too late. This map solves both problems, the glyph is placed 7 spaces away, so it takes two turns for each group of figures to reach the glyph. Also, the glyph is in a very near secure area. Blocked by Outcrops, figures camping on the lava like Q9 can't kill a knight on the glyph. However, the knight (on glyph) or Q9 (on height) may kill themselves...Yeah that's right the glyph and the majority of height are on top of lava field pieces. And also, there's only two hexes (one on each side) that Raelin can perch on height and still be within range (and see) the figure on the glyph. That space is the nearest hex to the glyph, on the 3-hex rock. Which also means that 2 other figures can attack her from equal height. Or another one can attack her low on shadow.

I think that's it. Thanks, HS2010.
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:34 PM

GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker
Re: NEW!!! HS2010'S Map Thread! Mitonsoul's Dungeon added 8/

I like the map! Its decent sized for using such a small master set. I like how you made almost all height lava (I did the same on one of my custom boards).

Good map!

~GT55

Wright State Raider since 2014.
Trade List 8/15/14
Sculpt Polls!
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:16 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

We just played a match on this. The armies were:

210 Charos
390 GWs x3
500 Airborne Elite
500pts/15hex

vs.

120 Grimnak
320 Blade Gruts x5
500 Feral Trolls x2
500pts/26hex, drop 2 gruts

The game came down to Charos vs. 6-7 Gruts, Grimnak, and a Feral Troll (one had only recently died). I was able to take out all the Gruts and Grimnak and had 6 wounds going into battle with an unwounded Troll. I was able to get first strike before the round ended for a couple wounds from the Rock height. I lost initiative but the Feral Troll rolled 1 skull on his attack of 6. I then rolled 0 shields to put me at 7 wounds. At the end, a counterstrike then an attack ended up killing the big troll.

EDIT: Playing two near completely all melee armies with huge hero bonding made the side of the outcrop with the glyph become very clustered. I feel it needs something to pull heroes and their bonding squads to the opposite side of the outcrop. Maybe a T-Glyph in the middle shadow hex would do the trick. Then armies with Knights would have a Huiman Champion be able to take the T-Glyph and since most Human Champions have an aura that would benefit the Knights, would then pull some of the Knights with the Champion instead of all going to the Defense glyph. But then it would sit there in games like this because neither army had a single-spaced hero. I'm sure this isn't that big of a deal as playing Melee vs. Melee in a tourney isn't too often.

EDIT 2: I'm also not sold on the Glyph of Garda. Since this is a map of dungeon, specific figures recieve benefits and all small, medium, and (not sure about) large figures can add one to their defense while on a shadow space. However, since it is a lava map, defense is good so that not every figure has died at the end of round 4. A glyph like move +2 is unneccassary in such a small area. And so is wound since your figure is on a glyph on lava. Suggestions?

Last edited by Sheep; August 5th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Mitonsoul's Dungeon
Requires: 1 BftU and 1 VW

Enjoy. I made this map thinking of all of the responses I've had from this thread and my failures at BoV submissions. Then I laid out some hexes and it started to look like Marr Highway. Well obviously with a BftU/VW you aren't going to build a similar Marr Highway, so I started to add in width. It seems the biggest problem with BftU/One Expansion is that armies that include Rats easily clog it up and that the rats can reach glyphs in either one turn or armies of Knights reach it too late. This map solves both problems, the glyph is placed 7 spaces away, so it takes two turns for each group of figures to reach the glyph. Also, the glyph is in a very near secure area. Blocked by Outcrops, figures camping on the lava like Q9 can't kill a knight on the glyph. However, the knight (on glyph) or Q9 (on height) may kill themselves...Yeah that's right the glyph and the majority of height are on top of lava field pieces. And also, there's only two hexes (one on each side) that Raelin can perch on height and still be within range (and see) the figure on the glyph. That space is the nearest hex to the glyph, on the 3-hex rock. Which also means that 2 other figures can attack her from equal height. Or another one can attack her low on shadow.

I think that's it. Thanks, HS2010.
Quote:
We just played a match on this. The armies were:

210 Charos
390 GWs x3
500 Airborne Elite
500pts/15hex

vs.

120 Grimnak
320 Blade Gruts x5
500 Feral Trolls x2
500pts/26hex, drop 2 gruts

The game came down to Charos vs. 6-7 Gruts, Grimnak, and a Feral Troll (one had only recently died). I was able to take out all the Gruts and Grimnak and had 6 wounds going into battle with an unwounded Troll. I was able to get first strike before the round ended for a couple wounds from the Rock height. I lost initiative but the Feral Troll rolled 1 skull on his attack of 6. I then rolled 0 shields to put me at 7 wounds. At the end, a counterstrike then an attack ended up killing the big troll.
Cool map! Are you going to submit it to BoV?
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM

I will if I get enough positive feedback for it.
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:45 PM

So I went to the Definitive list of Glyphs and 'shopped around'. Here's the few glyphs I was looking to 'buy' for this map:

Attack +1/Defense +1 (obviously)
Initiative +8
Lucky 20 Sider (20d Roll +1)

As for T-Glyphs, not sure, probably just a random one.

Last edited by Sheep; August 5th, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Glyphs is spelled glyPhs not glyHhs. ;)
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
So I went to the Definitive list of Glyphs and 'shopped around'. Here's the few glyphs I was looking to 'buy' for this map:

Attack +1/Defense +1 (obviously)
Initiative +8
Lucky 20 Sider (20d Roll +1)

As for T-Glyphs, not sure, probably just a random one.
Initiative is always a solid choice, though on lava it might be less useful since the figure could die before it comes into effect.

You could always use something more risky and game changing, some of the less popular ones like Mitonsoul, Sturla, or the negation one. I've always wanted to see a map with those.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
Initiative is always a solid choice, though on lava it might be less useful since the figure could die before it comes into effect.

You could always use something more risky and game changing, some of the less popular ones like Mitonsoul, Sturla, or the negation one. I've always wanted to see a map with those.
I've thought of Mitonsoul. It'd be cool to have that glyph on the map due to its name first of all...However, BoV hasn't accepted a map with glyphs that aren't in the "everyday" glyph pool. And this set of BoV judges right now are a pain to get through (EDIT: Even when you think you've done everything to impress them). However, that just means it's an even greater honor to have a map inducted. If only I get be one of those few...
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM

I've decided I am going to submit this map to BoV August 12th unless someone can convince me otherwise to not AND give how to tweak it slightly (or what glyph to use that is better). That will have given it a week for feedback.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM

An update on Mitonsoul's Dungeon:

Mitonsoul's Dungeon V.2
Requires: 1 BftU, 1 VW

Not much has changed here. But the some that did I think makes a huge difference, IMO.

Here's a comparison photo:

With 1 BftU and 1 VW, the key to downing Range isn't in the LoS Blockers. It's in how the shadow and the lava is placed. The lava like in V.1 is a good way of downing range. But now, the amount of shadow that isn't in the 'holes', really helps.

Last edited by Sheep; August 18th, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Water is still worthless but I don't see anywhere else to put it.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
An update on Mitonsoul's Dungeon:

Mitonsoul's Dungeon V.2
Requires: 1 BftU, 1 VW

Not much has changed here. But the some that did I think makes a huge difference, IMO.

Here's a comparison photo:

With 1 BftU and 1 VW, the key to downing Range isn't in the LoS Blockers. It's in how the shadow and the lava is placed. The lava like in V.1 is a good way of downing range. But now, the amount of shadow that isn't in the 'holes', really helps.
I like the improvements here. Keep in mind that the biggest drawback for melee figures here isn't the lack of LoS blockers- it's the lack of height. You've got a good 30- to 40- something hexes on level 2, but they're all bunched together. This means that a figure on level 2 is likely not to have any kind of height advantage if they're melee. However, they will have that advantage if they are ranged. (Look at your map. "The Heated Lagoon." So much of the terrain on lvs. 2 and 3 are adjacent to tiles below them that range is checked nicely). To solve this issue, I recommend moving some areas on height you see contested less to flat areas. Also, I'd move the outcroppings closer to where you see podding. As I haven't played on this map, I can't really give much more of a review but I'll see if I can fit in time to play a game on it.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM

It's good to keep knowing you can't make melee figures happy no matter what you do.

No seriously, thanks. Definitely give feedback if you do get a game in.

Are you saying The Heated Lagoon is somewhat good. I myself never did play a game on it. I built it, but never got a game in on it, so I don't know much about it really.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios