Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Captain_Gerbil Woo who?
Question 1000 point armies: how do you manage them?

Introductions
Let me first start off that I am both curious in how people play house rules wise and then how tournaments with 1000 points are played.

I've had a burning question since I began play last July , and I have continuously wondered and tossed the idea around on how people play with 1000 point armies versus other 1000 point armies.

Often I have wondered how people have epic battles with just the three turn markers only plus the "Fakeout" marker.

The largest I had played with so far was 750 points, as building a large enough map for 1000 is longer, plus those kinds of games can be very long, especially with more than 2 players.

My House Rules
The way I had played before with larger armies was to use additional order markers. Each of us would take an additional "2" or "3" marker and use them as "Wild Cards". Using a "3" marker meant having one extra turn marker, and using the "2" marker means using BOTH an extra "2" and "3".

Basically, the "Wild Card" markers would be used in that, say we were using two turn "2" markers, on turn two, the player would have the option to use either card with a turn "2" marker on it. After that turn the next player would go, and then both cards with a "2" marker on it would have their turns. Basically expand on the 3 turns per round to 4 or 5.

Thoughts
So I'd like to open up discussion on rules, opinions, and other household rules everyone uses, hopefully to augment my own or develop a better way to play with 1000 point armies.

On a final note, when you play with 1000 point armies, do you use larger or regular sized maps, regular as in maps premade in the instructions/campaigns.

Thanks!

Want to help an Army Cadet out? Go to http://errotc.com to read his story

Thanks to Ryougabot for the Avatar!

Ain't nuttin but thuggin. E-Thug 4 Lyfe
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation
Re: 1000 point armies: how do you manage them?

I know that some people use the "x" order marker as a "4"

When i play with huge armies, i usualy don't use markers.

And as for maps, the bigger the better!

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker

We use the M/A/MA Order Marker rules outlined in one of the Codex Magazines. Those rules work well for large armies and multi-player games.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker

I play the same way that I do with normal sized armies, and that has worked out fine for me in the games I have played. However, for our Thanksgiving game (5000 points). We do not use order markers. Units that remove order markers just keep units from being activated for between one and three turns. (Determined randomly.)

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old June 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

I use order markers 1 though 9 plus 3 X order markers
(or just one X, or even none)

It works pretty good...
You are only allowed to put 3 order markers per card... even if you only have 1 or 2 cards left.

I have also pondered, creating a slightly different set of Order markers...
RED 1 2 3
BLUE 1 2 3
Green 1 2 3
You again would only be able to put 3 per card... but you would not know which 3 would go first.. until:
Before rolling initiative, some one rolls a white combat dice.
If you roll a skull, everyone activates the red 1 2 3 markers first... then blue then green.
If you roll a shield, everyone activates the blue 1 2 3 first, then green then red...
IF blank, the green first, then red then blue...
(red is most likely... but you might get screwed and have to activate green first, thus forcing you to mix up what cards you place the markers on.) The color of the markers would be hidded from other players just like the numbers... (would require custom painted markers)

Last edited by Draconious; June 18th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Captain_Gerbil Woo who?

Could you provide a link or something to this Codex? I visit this site every once in awhile so I don't get to see all of them.

Thanks,

Captain

Want to help an Army Cadet out? Go to http://errotc.com to read his story

Thanks to Ryougabot for the Avatar!

Ain't nuttin but thuggin. E-Thug 4 Lyfe
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Gerbil View Post
Could you provide a link or something to this Codex? I visit this site every once in awhile so I don't get to see all of them.

Thanks,

Captain
Google is your friend.

Anyways, here is the link...
http://www.hscodex.com/issue5.html
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

When I build a giant map that warrants a 1000 point army what we usually do is draft 2 500 point armies and control each one separately as if we were playing teams as oppossed to 1 giant 1000 point army. This allows 6 turns each round.
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
When I build a giant map that warrants a 1000 point army what we usually do is draft 2 500 point armies and control each one separately as if we were playing teams as oppossed to 1 giant 1000 point army. This allows 6 turns each round.
This is a popular method around here, from what I've read.
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

We just play it normally. You tend to move your figures in waves or groups. Since the maps are usually large (Well not Wierdscaper large) it's not really a problem that half your army is sitting there with out markers on them, although it's good advice to bring up reinfocements.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

That's what we do for 3 people games. 1 person commands 2 500 point armies, and the other 2 are on a team commanding their 500 point armies.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We use "X" as "4". But I really like the wildcard idea.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion