Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Lava or Tundra?
Lava 10 21.28%
Tundra 38 80.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM

bamoguy knows what's in an order marker bamoguy knows what's in an order marker bamoguy knows what's in an order marker
Lava or Tundra?

Hey Guys,

I think I may have the option of getting a lava set or a tundra set but can't decide which I would rather have.

Right now I have:
Master Set 1
Master Set 2
All of Wave One
All of Wave 12 (D2)
All of Wave 11 (D1) except the expansion set with the phantom nights.
Lava
Castle
Darrak Ambershard
Iron Man
Elite Onyx Vipers
Nerak The Glacian Swog Rider

I really enjoy playing the lava, but can't do much seeing it's sooo small, so I can't decide because a lot of wave 11 and 12 guys work with the lava, but Nerak is amazing on tundra, so is it worth a second lava set or a first tundra?
Thanks For The Input!
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM

AgentDex Woo who?
Re: Lava or Tundra?

I would personally recommend Tundra over Lava. Tundra has some cool line of sight blockers, (giant glaciers) that you can't get anywhere else.
While both can be pricey, Lava is a lot easier to make or proxy with some paint, if you want more. (There are great tutorials on how to do that)

It's nice to know I am not the only adult addicted to buying and playing with plastic miniatures.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM

bamoguy knows what's in an order marker bamoguy knows what's in an order marker bamoguy knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDex View Post
I would personally recommend Tundra over Lava. Tundra has some cool line of sight blockers, (giant glaciers) that you can't get anywhere else.
While both can be pricey, Lava is a lot easier to make or proxy with some paint, if you want more. (There are great tutorials on how to do that)
Oh thanks! And that's a great point about the lava, repainting, Master Set 1 certainly came with enough grass to repaint... Ill have to see if I can find instructions for that.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM

Mavrack Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamoguy View Post
Quote:
Oh thanks! And that's a great point about the lava, repainting, Master Set 1 certainly came with enough grass to repaint... Ill have to see if I can find instructions for that.
Considering you already have a lava set, I would definitely get the Tundra expansion. Also here is a great tutorial for lava terrain. Tutorial for lava. Enjoy and good luck on the repaint.

Edit: Accidently voted for lava. I was meaning to vote for Tundra.

Awesome traders: dart48, skitzogryphon
Trade List Jandar's Siege Map Thread
I haz a secretz message
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I got one set each. I personally use the lava a lot more just because I am a hot lava death addict, but the tundra can be just as fun.

Right now, you can generally get the lava for a little less than the tundra on ebay. Since you don't have a tundra set right now, that's what I'd go with if I were you. I think it is more important to get one set of all the terrain sets before you start doubling up.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

I get more mileage out of my one tundra set than I do my two lava sets.
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

I'd say both could be proxied if you just grab the third MS, but you can't get the cool giant glaciers, which are the best part of tundra. I like it a lot more because of the cool LoS blockers, the fact that you get way more terrain so you don't need to get 3-4 sets to have a pretty snowy battlefield, and the Dzu Teh are pretty cool.
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM

Wow fantastic! Thanks everybody! The snow is definitely a plus with all the terrain, but does anybody know where I could get a lot of either water or molten lava pieces to use to repaint for molten lava, I've always wanted a lava waterfall...
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:26 PM

AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamoguy View Post
Wow fantastic! Thanks everybody! The snow is definitely a plus with all the terrain, but does anybody know where I could get a lot of either water or molten lava pieces to use to repaint for molten lava, I've always wanted a lava waterfall...
Pick up a second SOTM and use the swamp.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; May 2nd, 2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: And then send me all your original Lava :)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM

Another master set would be a bit costly...
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
I get more mileage out of my one tundra set than I do my two lava sets.
100% agree with both of these posts. Lava is much easier to replicate with a few extra tiles. I also have 2 lava sets, and I was wishing at the time that I would have picked up another RttFF set instead. One is about right, two is overkill unless you just want to build massive volcano maps. The ice tiles and the glaciers are tough to replicate, and they are almost impossible to duplicate in appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassistofDoom View Post
I'd say both could be proxied if you just grab the third MS, but you can't get the cool giant glaciers, which are the best part of tundra. I like it a lot more because of the cool LoS blockers, the fact that you get way more terrain so you don't need to get 3-4 sets to have a pretty snowy battlefield, and the Dzu Teh are pretty cool.
This as well. You can replicate the tundra to a small degree with a MS3, but the larger glaciers are still absent, and they are all opaque. MS3 can help you get by, but it isn't really the same.

So in summary, get the Tundra set. If you really want the lava set, a SotM master set can provide more than enough spare terrain to make a fake lava set.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

If you already have a Lava set, I would go for the Tundra. You might not get another opportunity like this anytime soon.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion