Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 18th, 2010, 08:55 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
Re: Questioning myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIEGE View Post
I think it is ok. I was actually in the process of learning to play D&D before WotC canceled Heroscape. However, after the news, I decided to learn to play other tabletop RPGs like Microlite20 or Labyrinth Lord. Actually, if WotC had not canceled Heroscape I probably would have played D&D, but just because I'm not going to doesn't mean you can't.
Labyrinth Lord is a great game. Old school retro-gaming with free download! I started playing D&D with a "blue book" set back in 1980. Go back and actually read those old rules. It's refreshing. The setting is so simple, and the rules open-ended to allow whatever setting the DM and players want to explore. Those were the days of great creativity in rules, and component poor games. D&D was the first rpg I ever played, and while I am primarily a historical wargamer still, it would be where I would go back for a good solid simple rpg. Labyrinth Lord really has everything you need.

Not one step backwards!
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Not playing D&D due to how WotC handled HS is petty and childish. Play D&D if you want it is a great game. Each edition is different and has it's one strengths and weaknesses, and it's own style. So check out multiple edition and see what you like. 4e has very tactical combat and a streamlined skill system, 3e/3.5/Pathfinder has more detailed and customized character creation, and the earlier versions (including retroclones) are more free form.

Have fun.
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Try 2nd edition. Its not as dumbed down as the newer versions and you don't need figures to play it, just pen and paper. I've heard really good things about the Pathfinder system too, you should check it out.

Also, buying older used stuff will keep money out of WotC's pockets.
2cd edition has the Tarrasque. (Spelling?)

'Nuff said.
4th ed also has a tarrasque, it's in monster manual Vol. 1, 4th ed. is "crapola" is just an opinion. I play 4th ed and I have fun with it!
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris1287 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Try 2nd edition. Its not as dumbed down as the newer versions and you don't need figures to play it, just pen and paper. I've heard really good things about the Pathfinder system too, you should check it out.

Also, buying older used stuff will keep money out of WotC's pockets.
2cd edition has the Tarrasque. (Spelling?)

'Nuff said.
4th ed also has a tarrasque, it's in monster manual Vol. 1, 4th ed. is "crapola" is just an opinion. I play 4th ed and I have fun with it!
Same here.

IMO, it's a great version.
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM

chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun

Why ask for permission? As I always say to my guests here at home when a choice point comes up:

"I insisit that you do what you want!"
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!

I think the latest essentials revision of 4th edition is better than the original, though some people disagree. The main problem with 4th edition is that battles take a very, very, very, very long time. If you want to play it for the fun of tactical battle then it's a great system with tons of options. If you want to play for a wide-ranging, free-wheeling, adventure, then another system is probably better because whenever the dice hit the table, the game nearly grinds to a stop for an hour or two while you work out something that in some other game systems could take five minutes.
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib View Post
I think the latest essentials revision of 4th edition is better than the original, though some people disagree. The main problem with 4th edition is that battles take a very, very, very, very long time. If you want to play it for the fun of tactical battle then it's a great system with tons of options. If you want to play for a wide-ranging, free-wheeling, adventure, then another system is probably better because whenever the dice hit the table, the game nearly grinds to a stop for an hour or two while you work out something that in some other game systems could take five minutes.
I agree about Essentials. I do prefer that over the original 4e.

4e gets back to D&D's wargaming roots. You should avoid 4e if you don't like to mix roleplaying and tactical wargaming.
Old December 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Wheelockian is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnygaard View Post
Nobody mentioned the best RPG out there: Savage Worlds.
It was more or less Savage Worlds that got me into Heroscape since it runs miniature battles extremely well. Unlike most RPGs, using minies in Savage Worlds actually make things move quicker.

Check out the free test drive here: http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

Or, alternatively you could invest the $10 it will cost you to get the core rules http://www.studio2publishing.com/sho...oducts_id=2364

And it has the added advantage of being completely non-WOTC
A strong second on Savage Worlds. It's motto is Fast, Fun, and Furious--In other words, it is to RPGs what Heroscape is to other miniatures games. A beautiful system--easy to pick up but with plenty of depth, and one that covers many genres. (Again, like Heroscape!)
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

3 edition grognard reporting in to say down with 4e!

I played 3e for years and never got bored. 4e held my attention for maybe six months. To me every character feels the same in the new edition. I felt like in 3.X each class and race was different.

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I am 43 years old. I started playing D&D when I was about 12 or 13. It was awesome and we had a great time then. I don't think it really matters which edition you play, just have fun.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

I play 3/3.5 edition it's the best IMO.
But we still use the 2nd edition Birthright setting just with the 3.5 rule system.
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'll just leave this here...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion