Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Things that are annoying around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyShotgunSullivan View Post
I am new to the site and the only thing that I could classify as annoying is that there is sooo much content, it's hard to find what I'm looking for.
They originally had the site set up with no content, but people got bored.

Anyway, welcome to the site, and if you're ever looking for something specific, usually the Search function or a friendly HSer can help you get there. Just, you know, don't devote a whole thread to asking about it, or you'll wind up a topic of conversation in a thread like this one.

~Spite, who feels self-conscious every time he uses a smiley now
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would say, regarding the noobs, and the harping on them that occurs; maybe not for all of them, and especially not for the ones whose only intent is to cause trouble, but for the majority of them, a stern reprimand about the etiquette and expectations around here, usually, only needs to be said by one or two people for it to stick. 15 people posting the same thing about grammar and "read this" or "do that" or "WTF! Use the search function" is kind of intimidating and off-putting. For me, I would be scared to post again for fear of the backlash I would receive.

I would suggest reading their post, and if you see someone else has already mentioned grammar, etc., then let it go. Odds are, Cav or Ona beat ya to it anyway.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
I hope people don't take this personally...

There are a lot of good things in this thread that I agree with, and some that I disagree with.

Smiley's can be very useful, but there are those that over use them. The problem with forums is that we cannot see/hear each other when we 'speak'. So smiles are very useful when appropriately used.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned was multi-quoting. Once again, sometimes it's very useful. I do like it when someone will quote another, and put highlights in the quote. What I find very annoying is where people will quote three or four other people and add nothing relevant to the conversation. Then, someone else feels the need to do the same thing so that we have a good original post with four or five tacked on pointless comments. It's not too bad if the posts are separated by several other posts (like what Onacara did earlier in this thread), but when you feel the need to agree with someone, add nothing relevant to the conversation, and the poster was the the one right before you, please don't quote them. Please don't continue the trend either. I get really annoyed by threads that end up being seven or eight people quoting and agreeing.

I also agree with those of you who made the comments about people posting with nothing more than +REP or something similar. Let me tell you a secret: post count doesn't matter. Rep doesn't really matter either, other to tell you who has good posts. I pay more attention to someone with 500 or less posts who has two or three green boxes, than someone with much more posts, but no more than one or two boxes. Quality over quantity people.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

What about abuse of the reason edit text box? I know I am guilty of misusing this little feature and many of the players I regularly post with do the same.

Is it annoying?

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I am talking about posting significant and sometimes specific information right here..sometimes humor or jabs or whatevers
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:03 AM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
Editing can be a good thing.

The key word there is 'abuse'. It's a very useful feature, but like anything else, if it's abused it can be annoying.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
What about abuse of the reason edit text box? I know I am guilty of misusing this little feature and many of the players I regularly post with do the same.

Is it annoying?
Honestly can't ever remember noticing anyone doing that. Personally, I don't bother with the box even when I have a legitimate reason to do an edit. Hopefully, the content of the post will reflect the intent.

Last edited by spiteofthedice; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: None. Hey, you're right- that is fun. I promise not to do it again.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post

Is it annoying?
If it is funny and humorous, I am all for it.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Bahde...

As someone who has received a fair amount neg rep I can tell you that whenever I got it and it was signed I always went back and spoke to the person who gave it. Either to apologize or to explain to them my stance...but most of all out of the respect that they signed it.

I sign my neg rep and it gets me in trouble because people go crying to the Admins about it. So would it be better if I didnt sign it? For me I guess it would be but if I am going to give it out I am going to let you know it was from me.

What are you* afraid of by not signing it? Retalitation?

There are things people including myself say on here that gets them neg rep and they kind of "expect" it (or at least should). But when someone neg reps you for something that you cannot figure out what it is for and it isnt signed then that is just someone feeling like a big shot and then hiding behind there mother's apron.

*(By you I wasnt directing it at you per se but in general)
You guys have it wrong and Bahde has it right. There is absolutely no reason to sign any rep. Not signing neg rep doesn't mean the person is scared, it most likely means that they want to show they don't approve without having to deal with all the entanglements that could come with signing. Just knowing that your going to PM somebody and hassle them for giving you neg rep is perfect reason not to sign it. I'm surprised you don't get that Ona.

That said, I recommend we all sign the rep we give, but do not get bent if somebody else doesn't

I firmly resent retaliatory rep. If somebody neg reps you, just roll with it and modify your posting behavior if necessary. In other words, own up to the fact that you may be out of line, and absorb the neg rep in a healthy way. DO NOT neg rep them right back like a school girl with her panties in a wad.

Now for my annoyance:

I can't stand when somebody lists three random items, and then puts the phrase "Oh my!" afterwards. It is not cute. It doesn't display any whit or cleverness.

Braxas, Mimring, and Charos Oh my!

Crixus, Retaurius, and Kelda... Oh my!

I hate that crap.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
You guys have it wrong and Bahde has it right. There is absolutely no reason to sign any rep. Not signing neg rep doesn't mean the person is scared, it most likely means that they want to show they don't approve without having to deal with all the entanglements that could come with signing. Just knowing that your going to PM somebody and hassle them for giving you neg rep is perfect reason not to sign it. I'm surprised you don't get that Ona.

That said, I recommend we all sign the rep we give, but do not get bent if somebody else doesn't

I firmly resent retaliatory rep. If somebody neg reps you, just roll with it and modify your posting behavior if necessary. In other words, own up to the fact that you may be out of line, and absorb the neg rep in a healthy way. DO NOT neg rep them right back like a school girl with her panties in a wad.
But GB...even the people who PMd me after I neg rep'd them for the most part were not all bent out of shape about it..several even apologize for acting like a bufoon.

Perhaps opening the lines of communication may better some people.

Retaliation neg rep is something reserved for another name for a cat.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
But GB...even the people who PMd me after I neg rep'd them for the most part were not all bent out of shape about it..several even apologize for acting like a bufoon.
If you feel like having a little chat about the rep in private, then sign it. If you could care less about having a talk and just want to zap some post because you felt it was inappropriate, then I don't see this as necessarily whimpy. Having anonymity as an option is a good thing and when a person chooses anonymity, they shouldn't be thought of as cowardly... That's just a cop out.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Last edited by Grungebob; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

But the one thing I like about the quote feature is the ability to show whom you're replying to with your posts. If no one quoted anything, the forums would be a mess.*

Oh, I thought of another thing that annoys me: TD's telling people which units to play at tournaments, and people belittling the accomplishments of those who use good units. If someone wins a major tournament like the GenCon Championship, odds are they had to play against plenty of people using those same or better armies, so "He only won because he played Q9" is kind of a stupid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; February 22nd, 2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: See, SVD! Like R˙chean, I like (ab)using the edit feature, often as a way to insert footnotes.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
But the one thing I like about the quote feature is the ability to show whom you're replying to with your posts. If no one quoted anything, the forums would be a mess.
I usually prefer a quote to make clear who you are (and aren't) responding to. That said, sometimes people quote a huge mess of quoted quotes, when they could edit it down a bit and just quote the last post in the chain.

Also, if you're responding to one part, or one idea, of a longer post, parse it down to the relevant portion. It's okay to quote just a part of a post. Readers can scroll back and see the quoted post in its entirety if they want.

Last edited by fomox; February 22nd, 2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: You know, I'd never really noticed people making comments, other than editing comments, in the edit box.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion