Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old February 26th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Website Issues (With Mysterious Disappearing Final Page)

Okay, final update.

The Crisis Is Over

The backup provided by Xorlof has saved the day, and I have now restored everyone's "additional usergroups" to how they were as of the backup date (mentioned above; approximately 4 days ago). If something still seems wrong, send me a PM. But I would be very surprised if there's anything still wrong, other than perhaps if you were added to (or removed from) a group within the past 4 days.

I've answered all the PMs I was sent; thank you all for taking the time to send trouble reports. Happily, I didn't need to use them for the actual repair, although I did use them to spot-check myself and make sure the global repair was a success, which it seemed to be in every case. I apologize for sending you an impersonal boilerplate response, but there were a lot of PMs to get through.

Some of you expressed curiosity about why you lost access to some things and not others. Here are some quick explanations:
  • Once I realized that I had screwed up and didn't have access to a backup to make a global fix, I decided to institute some temporary fixes. I went through several of the private forums and checked activity over the past week (or past month, for the less active fora). Any user that had posted within that time period, I added them quickly to the appropriate usergroup. So that's why some of you could get in some places and not others, while your buddies could get in to perhaps the same places you couldn't. Obviously they had been posting more than you lately.
  • There were a few usergroups that I just didn't mess with at all, due to the complexity of the way the permissions are set up. These mainly included CoN and C3G.
  • Usergroups can control more than just permissions; the other important thing they control is access to the badges (or "ranks") that you have under your name. So to deal with the Site Supporters group, I went through and just added everyone who had a valid subscription to the site. If you woke up this morning and didn't have a "Site Supporter" badge, it probably means your subscription has expired. In a perfect world, that would get adjusted automatically, but it looks like that's not working. So maybe take advantage of this opportunity to renew your subscription, if you need to. Everyone's on their honor!
Remember, this is just for informational purposes. All that stuff is fixed for real now. I just wanted to let people know what happened as much as possible. Transparency is always good.

I thank everyone for their patience and understanding. Don't thank me for fixing it--thank Xorlof, who got me access to a fairly recent backup within an amazingly small amount of time. All I did was reverse my own screw-up.

If you're still seeing problems, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:55 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post

I thank everyone for their patience and understanding. Don't thank me for fixing it--thank Xorlof, who got me access to a fairly recent backup within an amazingly small amount of time. All I did was reverse my own screw-up.

If you're still seeing problems, please let me know.
Well done, both you. Thank you for your work!

~TGRF.

Eternity (Iteration 5.2) - Structuring Series 1
Spoiler Alert!

Old February 27th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Well done, X-the-first! *high-fives*

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:29 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Well done, X-the-first! *high-fives*
Right back at ya, brother. So glad you had that backup handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:25 PM

The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Xotli @Xorlof

Not sure if this is intentional or something threatening I just happened to stumble upon. I figured I'd post it and let you guys know what's happening.

Throughout today, I've noticed that HSers continues to load the page after it is loaded. A few minutes ago, wondering why this was, I glanced down at the bottom of the page, where it has a description of what the browser is doing when it's loading (eg connecting to the site or something). For about five seconds after the page was done loading, HSers was connecting to a certain 'viplinkstest.com' I stopped the browser from loading and everything still behaved normally. This 'viplinkstest.com' loads everywhere, every time I click somewhere else.

Again, I don't know if this is intentional or not. It's just out of the ordinary.

~TGRF.

EDIT: I opened a new tab to see if it was just me. It isn't. It only happens on HSers. Additionally, the front page had two different things two different times: first 'i.ytimg.com' and then 'static.doubleclick.net' Both of these said 'read' rather than 'connecting to.' I also opened chrome to see if it was a browser thing. While chrome is faster and does not specify, it does say it is connecting to something, so I suspect the same issue is there too.

Spoiler Alert!

Old October 24th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Hmm...this is curious. I do not get this on my page loads, but perhaps that is related to the template I'm using (the fast loading one). It could be only certain templates trying to load a (perhaps Google Analytics?) type link from viplinkstest.com.

If I google for info about viplinkstest.com, heroscapers related pages come up, so I don't think it's just you. I'll have a look into it tonight.

Thanks!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death!

If it helps, I've been using both the fast loading and the Ticalla Jungle theme (because of the CoN Masquerade and telling my two accounts apart), and I've noticed the loading thing only on the Ticalla Jungle theme.
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM

I will add that I am using the Ticalla Jungle Theme as well. Coincidentally, I think it's still happening, it's just really fast now. Everything is loading as fast as it normally does. I managed to catch the description a few times though, so I think it's still there.

~TGRF.

Spoiler Alert!

Old October 25th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Super Smurfy

Yep, thanks for the reports, guys.

viplinkstest has apparently been in some of our templates for a long time (before I was around), so I have no clue of what historical use it might have had, but it has no use now. I've begun removing references as I see them in the templates, but it will be a while before I remove them all.

I will look into the doubleclick reference later. That's an advertising network, so my first hunch is that a plugin we use might be somehow sneaking it in. I'll eventually get it excised.

ytimg is ok--you'll see that on any pages with embedded youtube videos.

Old October 25th, 2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Yep, thanks for the reports, guys.

viplinkstest has apparently been in some of our templates for a long time (before I was around), so I have no clue of what historical use it might have had, but it has no use now. I've begun removing references as I see them in the templates, but it will be a while before I remove them all.

I will look into the doubleclick reference later. That's an advertising network, so my first hunch is that a plugin we use might be somehow sneaking it in. I'll eventually get it excised.

ytimg is ok--you'll see that on any pages with embedded youtube videos.
Thanks Xorlof!

~TGRF.

Spoiler Alert!

Old October 25th, 2016, 01:02 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

To the tune of the LEGO song:

Xorlof is so awesome!
Xorlof is so cool, and he's part of the team!
Xorlof is so awesome! When you're livin' your dream... (OK that last part needs a re-write)
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:22 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

FYI, the viplinkstest is still appearing when using the Ticalla Jungle theme, but it appears to be gone when using the old default theme.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online