Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 31st, 2008, 12:20 AM

BlueRobin Woo who?
Re: Gen Con Exclusive 2008 revealed by WotC

Quote:
My bottomline is that I'm against those that could care less about the game and just got the figures for money (whether they flew, biked, or swam to GenCon). Those are people that bother me (but not enough I'll lose sleep over it, mind you). Sorry I wasn't more clear (hopefully I was this time, though my day's been long enough, I still may not be...sorry...).

People like Rev who freely share their extra figures to those that couldn't make it, but who work to support the game and its growth, are the best of the best, in my mind.
Having worked in a booth near WotC at Gen Con, I saw dealers get 10 per person on Saturday because of the way they were handed out. People just kept recircling the line going around our booth and got right back in line. When WotC said they were out and then 5 minutes later opened up Sunday's supply on Saturday, all that did was let the dealers and ebayers who stuck around the booth watching Wizkids an opprotunity to clean up on the promos because the main line and initial rush was gone. I think I saw people get 6-7 each in just a few minutes. Who knows how many those people got on the other days.

Bottom line, very few of these got into true Heroscapers hands. Unless they were in line within 2 minutes of the doors opening, they were out of luck. When dealers are already in line 40 people thick before the average Joe gets a chance, it is pretty much a stacked deck.

I would suggest anyone though who has not got one on eBay to get one now, the supply on there is starting to dry up and the prices will probably start to rise above the $50 amount soon. This will be $100 promo a year from now.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:44 AM

Pariah Woo who?

I grabbed 3 a day (I was an exhibitor and my wife was there as a normal Jane) I got in line and got one, then got back in line with here and got another.
However, this was not my intention going into the Con. My wife lost her badge on the first day and we had to replace it. I only sold 4 of them on eBay to recoup the costs, gave 3 of them away to people I knew who play the game.
The last 2 I kept for myself.

I would welcome some participation requirements in the future but my wallet thanks WotC's leniency.

Actually I hope there are some participation requirements in the future because I generally don't like eBay parasite even if circumstances required me to be one. I think things like this mean more when they are earned. I know one of my favorite things from the con is my Munchkin coin that I earned for getting into the Munchkin semi-finals. I couldn't bear to sell it, especially for the low rates on eBay.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:33 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRobin View Post
I would suggest anyone though who has not got one on eBay to get one now, the supply on there is starting to dry up and the prices will probably start to rise above the $50 amount soon. This will be $100 promo a year from now.
This sounds like an attempt to induce a buying panic. All you have to do is organize or participate in a medium to large heroscape tournament on 10/18:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
National Heroscape Day OCT 18th is our next big focus. This year has the potential to be bigger and better than ever for a couple of reasons:

As far as I know, Heroscapers and WOTC will be supporting NHSD in a very good way!

We have an opportunity to become nationally ranked through WOTC and DCI.

My suggestion is for everyone who is even thinking of running a tourney, get going on this. Book a local venue and tell everyone you know to come out and play heroscape. There will be prizes and Skahens!

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 31st, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
This sounds like an attempt to induce a buying panic. All you have to do is organize or participate in a medium to large heroscape tournament on 10/18:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
National Heroscape Day OCT 18th is our next big focus. This year has the potential to be bigger and better than ever for a couple of reasons:

As far as I know, Heroscapers and WOTC will be supporting NHSD in a very good way!

We have an opportunity to become nationally ranked through WOTC and DCI.

My suggestion is for everyone who is even thinking of running a tourney, get going on this. Book a local venue and tell everyone you know to come out and play heroscape. There will be prizes and Skahens!
Thanks for getting this together, !

Old August 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM

BlueRobin Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post

Cool, I missed out on this news. Not trying to induce a panic, it is just how every other promo given out over the last 3-4 years for Heroscape has been. However, if more are given out on 10/18, then this might be more like the Swog Rider and settle more in the $50 range then.
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM

Pariah Woo who?

I think what has disappointed me more than the people grabbing up to 6 of these a day...because people will always do that sort of thing...is the way Wizards of the Coast has handled this.

It's all been written before but I pointed out to one WotC worker that I didn't see any massive lines or people running through the hall for D&D 4th edition. I didn't see anyone pushing and shoving for Magic either.

Sure the vendors were a big part of this but the people that came running across the hall were not vendors.

They were mostly Heroscape fans. Fans running for a product they love.

And Wizards of the Coast treated that product with contemptuous neglect at GenCon. If you aren't willing to promote your own product at GenCon how long can you expect us to?

Either sell the product or license it to somebody who will. The market exists, we have done our part...the ball is in your court, WotC...God, help us all.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:30 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Pariah..we like to think that they were Herocape fans running across the hall and not eBay vultures.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM

BlueRobin Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Pariah..we like to think that they were Herocape fans running across the hall and not eBay vultures.

You would like to think so, however, I overheard many people in line talking about how they were going for $70-90 on eBay (at the time at least). I think as people waited out in front of the doors before they opened and people started talking amoung themselves, there was a lot of bystanders who decided to get the promo also for a quick buck. Heck if all someone had to do was spend a couple of minutes in line to basically pay for their Gen Con badge, you were going to get alot of takers.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

You would like to think so, however, I overheard many people in line talking about how they were going for $70-90 on eBay (at the time at least). I think as people waited out in front of the doors before they opened and people started talking amoung themselves, there was a lot of bystanders who decided to get the promo also for a quick buck. Heck if all someone had to do was spend a couple of minutes in line to basically pay for their Gen Con badge, you were going to get alot of takers.

and I am sure it got worse each day once people heard they weren't punching badges
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM

Pariah Woo who?

Well I think it isn't so cut any dry. Almost all of the people I was in line with (these are exhibitors now) also played the game. I know there were a lot of vendors who were just vultures but there were a lot of players too. There were also a ton of people in line with my wife outside who were, in her words, "geeking out over heroscape big time." I'm a perfect example. I am a huge HS fan and I play the game alot! But I also wanted to make some money and hand these out to my friends who weren't line (or weren't at the con). I intended to get as many as I could before I ever intended to sell them on eBay.

My point was that there is a market for Heroscape, one that Hasbro and WotC didn't intend. It's the 25-35 year old gamer parent with a potential gamer child age 8-14.

I know quite a few Heroscapers that play this game with their children because it's fun for both. This is the geek equivalent of playing catch with your boy.

If WotC doesn't realize this, somebody else will.
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM

Jedijoe9 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
I overheard many people in line talking about how they were going for $70-90 on eBay (at the time at least). I think as people waited out in front of the doors before they opened and people started talking amoung themselves, there was a lot of bystanders who decided to get the promo also for a quick buck. Heck if all someone had to do was spend a couple of minutes in line to basically pay for their Gen Con badge, you were going to get alot of takers.
Actually the worst part for me was (on Saturday) hearing the people at the art show asking "do you even know what you are waiting for?" While the large majority of people yelled back "no!" I went to Gencon entirely for Skahen and that was a little crazy to hear.

Also, just to relay my Skahen anecdote: I was about 10 from the front on Saturday when they said "it's over, no more!" and I died a little inside. When they opened the next box (and the guy behind me let me back in line) I was estatic. My friend had suggested "there is no way we are going to get an agent" when we accidentially went to the wrong WOTC line as the hall opened, but I stubbornly waited it out and I am glad I did.

Currently investing way to much time for a college student in: nerfing, heroscape, and urban exploration.

Soon moving to Greensburg, PA. 'Scape there? Let me know
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM

Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker

They need to get their **** together bigtime with things like this because my entire group of Heroscapers stood in line at 9:40 each day (all 4 days) and each time even though we were in the front of the line to get in, we didn't get a single chance to get one.

We all played tournaments and got them but the simple fact that a couple of us were busy playing other games at GenCon and had to rely on our friends kind of sucked. The simple fact that the ebay scalpers (vendors) seemed to be the ones to get them before the doors even opened really bothered me. Leaving those who went to GenCon but were to busy playing other games didn't.

I gave 2 of my figures to my friends who were at GenCon but it really could have been handled better for the fans i think.

Traders: Hoser, Sphere, Taeblewalker, DiscoStu, Hogg, Onacara, Skeletor, Cavalier, PonchoMan, Just_a_Bill, KRUG!, Wytefang, i2hot4u, Jim, Lakai, NEWT, nerdcorerocks, JediNate, Mutt Lo.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News