Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old October 16th, 2020, 04:14 PM

Rama is surprisingly tart
Re: Online NHSD Event

Does anyone have more information on Craig Van Ness’s involvement with the event? I saw Sir Heroscape’s video mentioning it, but I’m wondering if there are more details on it?

I’ve got other activities going on tomorrow, but would it be disruptive to he tournament if I showed up and played my first two games before bouncing? If that disrupts things too much, I could always just join the Discord channel and watch.

Thanks!

~ Rama
Old October 16th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama View Post
Does anyone have more information on Craig Van Ness’s involvement with the event? I saw Sir Heroscape’s video mentioning it, but I’m wondering if there are more details on it?

I’ve got other activities going on tomorrow, but would it be disruptive to he tournament if I showed up and played my first two games before bouncing? If that disrupts things too much, I could always just join the Discord channel and watch.

Thanks!

~ Rama
He hasn't been entirely explicit about what his involvement will be, but I did just get an email from him about showing up to watch some games. Before he seemed interested in playing, but it's possible he'll just have a couple hours to pop in and just enjoy the environment and chat it up during peoples games etc.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 16th, 2020, 04:34 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

We do have a couple CVN-signed RotV Drakes that we will be giving out as prizes as well.

Last reminder to get your entries in before the event tomorrow at 11am Eastern. We're at 23 participants right now!
Old October 16th, 2020, 06:07 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Full Info

Prizes have been added to the OP

~Dysole, informationally
Old October 17th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Nice to have someone nearby to talk through your bad dice with.
Muh dice!
I know we're not supposed to talk about rep in public, but whoever repped this post of mine with "GhOsT iN mUh DiCe!1!1", you just made my day lmao.
Old October 17th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I've shown up earlier for this than I ever have for a real tournament. I'm excited.

*twiddle thumbs nervously*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 17th, 2020, 05:57 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Thanks for playing everyone! Congrats to dok for the win. Lots of fun.

For my army I went with Grimnak, Nerak, Blades x4, Kaemon. I felt with the banned list that melee bonding would be dominant, with variety of very solid options like Dwarves, Axegrinders, Romans, Dreadguls, and Blades available. The usual melee bonding suspects of Knights and Heavies weren't available, but the drop off from the melee bonding counters like Cathar and Rats down to Ashra is so much steeper than the dropoff from Knights and Heavies to the next best melee bonding. What I didn't like about melee bonding is it felt like all of those builds had a counter in one of the other melee bonding builds, so in a melee fest event you were kind of putting yourself at the mercy of the matchup wheel. So I tried to smooth my melee bonding out by going with the cheapest pick (Blades) and including Kaemon. More than matchup smoothing Kaemon offers game smoothing, by giving you another tool to work with. The ultimate result of the tournament was I went to the finals against dok who had taken the exact same army. I don't think our army was perfect in the meta, but we both managed to find the wins we needed to get there. I can't speak for dok's games but I think having the second dimension of Kaemon helped with the consistency of my army so much and was why I was able to do well.

Game 1 (bye) 1-0

Game 2 vs. Dysole (Glads x2, Blasts x2, The Varja, Isamu)

I leaned on Kaemon very heavily to open this game. After a quick OM1 feint with the Blades I went straight Kaemon into the Glad Blast pod, hoping to knock off Glads from range where they would not have melee defense, and also hoping to pressure the Trons, since Kaemon outdamages them from range. Kaemon did great, killing 1 Glad from 7 range, 2 more in Quick Release, and then winning init to climb on to height and kill another one. That sequence eviscerated the 'trons' (not a quote, just two apostrophes) offensive potential, especially after Grimnak chomped a couple more Glads through the second round. In round 3, Dysole shot back into the game when the Varja hit Living Storm on the Blades and shocked off two of my Order Markers. I was very lucky that the Trons were down to only a single Glad at this point, since they couldn't do too much with the time the Varja bought. Next round I basically permanently shut down the Trons, engaging every Blast with at least one Blade, and then it was over. Varja was on fire and hit a few more Living Storms, making the end result pretty close, but eventually its 6 lives were chunked through and I won. 2-0

Game 3 vs. boromir96 (Axegrinders x4, Darrak, Ulfrid Hornwrangler)

This is probably "set the meta" build in terms of bringing the strongest available bonding squad with the strongest available bonders. It also happened to match up pretty favorably into my Blade build that so heavily relies on protecting Grimnak; so many tools to blow Grimnak up there. I opened with an OM1 Blades 2 3 Kaemon, hoping to thin out of Dwarves and put pressure, but it was probably too greedy of a Kaemon use. His first move he was out of range of anything, and second move was a max range 5v3 on a Dwarf that was blocked. Ulfrid Hornwrangler got next to Kaemon after that shot, and used Grim Determination to bring the Samurai off the board with 3 wounds on Ulfrid. My turns with Kaemon had also given the Dwarves free reign of the sides of the board. They took both Valda and Dagmar. With a R2 initiative one snuck through for a 5v5 height attack on Grimnak that managed 2 wounds. Things were looking quite dire for me at the moment. I tried to stay calm and just throw everything I had at protecting Grimnak. Nerak ran up the side of the board and got some crucial kills into Dwarves while Grimnak kind of just sat right outside my startzone using a wall of boosted Blades in front of him as a wall as well as offense to hit into the Dwarves that tried to get to Grimnak. I was almost entirely focusing my attacks on to the Dwarves, since the heroes were too hard to kill. Overall my dice were just very fortunate this game, getting lots of 3v3 kills on Dwarves and block 3v3s in return, and I slowly worked my way back from the disastrous opener to win by knocking 2 OMs off Dwarves with about 3 Blades 1 life Grimnak and Nerak left. 3-0

Game 4 vs. BodaciousBlood (Blades x4, Kuthnak, Grimnak, Tornak)

Kuthnak is fascinating figure. The offensive potential of Boiling Blood is sky high, but it consistently kills your own figures which is never ideal. I had done a practice game against my dad last night and he had Kuthnak as well which really helped me here. I played extremely patiently with the help of Kaemon, and just denied any whirlwind on more than 2 figures. BodaciousBlood took the whirlwinds on 2 guys two or three times, but the kills were just not there for him. I used Kaemon as bait this time leaving him up a little far on the side of the board and letting BB commit a lot of turns with Tornak and Blades trying to take him out while my Blades ran wild up the middle. Having Nerak and getting so many more Chomps turned the middle exchange into a blowout; Kaemon went down but my Grimnak survived the main fight untouched. I think Kuthnak is a figure that still needs the right build. I don't love him with Grimnak since Grimnak wants to be protected; turning your Blades into missiles leaves less bodies to protect him. My dad tried him with Deathchasers who I think have bonders that work better with Kuthnak, but Blades have disengage and +1 move on Deathchasers so I'm still not sure. One thing I'm thinking about with Kuthnak is maybe Ornak is solid to help the Blades? His aura is long and greatly ups their offensive potential. Heavies may also be the answer, but they were banned here. 4-0

Game 5 vs. dok (Blades x4, Kaemon, Grimnak, Nerak)

I think both of us had a bad feeling it was going to end like this when we saw each others' armies. Hard to report on a game like this although we did play it substantially differently. I developed Kaemon a bit more in the early game, while dok went straight Blades. That give him a little better slowroll, but I was hoping with the ping I could define where the battle took place. I was happy with how it ended up; our Grimnaks ended up dueling where he was attacking mine even and I was attacking his down, but my Grimnak fell first. Dok did have Kelda access, but it required disengage and losing Grimnak damage. Once my Grimnak fell it was over. I tried to make it a game with Kaemon, but Grimnak just stepped up to him and ate him on the first try. Overall I think dok had slightly better handle on the Blade mechanics like how to use Chomp and disengage to set up multiple turns in advance than I did, but the biggest difference in the game was the Grimnak duel which is how these sorts of mirrors often go. 4-1
Old October 17th, 2020, 05:59 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Great event, everyone. Cool to see the way the meta was shifted.

Final standings are HERE.

It was a melee-heavy meta, with only 6 primarily ranged armies (2 stingers, 1 Microcorp Troopers, 1 GladBlast, 1 Zettian Infantry, 1 Arrow Gruts) in 23 entries. This makes sense for a few reasons:
  • The best ranged options (Q9, Nilf, Quahon, 4th, 10th, Incendiborgs) were gone
  • Raelin helps range more and wasn't available
  • Rats help range much more and wasn't available
  • Cathar Spearmen and 10th punish melee and weren't available

I'll try to write up my games soon.
Old October 17th, 2020, 06:03 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah I'm too busy to write stuff aside from point guns, go boom. Hope their boom went faster than my boom (stupid blade gruts).

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old October 17th, 2020, 06:59 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Similar to what Vegie & Dok already mentioned, I expected this to be a mele-heavy meta and wanted a strong mele force with a better ranged threat than my opponent's mele army would have. I ended up going with:
Axegrinders x4, Major Q10, Marcu

I went with this build because:
1) Q10 > Kaemon heads up
2) Q10 significantly better than Kaemon against Microcorp Troopers & Blade Gruts (and any other 2 defense common squad, but those were the primary 2 that made sense in this meta) (and Stingers, to a lesser degree)
I chose to go with a hero-less axegrinders swarm to allow for Q10, as I thought (1) & (2) above would matter more in most matchups than a good bonding hero or 2.

Round 1 v. Dad_Scaper (Mok, Axegrinders x3, Marcu)

This was a good matchup for me, as Q10s range is better and once Mok piggy-backs 2 axegrinders, I have 16 to Dad_Scaper's 10.

Early game, Q10 killed a few Axegrinders while they slowly developed. About 7 of them ended up making to the middle of the map.
Mid game, my axegrinders were able to win the axegrinder mirror easily by having more numbers, forcing Dad_Scaper to switch OMs to Mok after only losing about 4 axegrinders to my axes because there was only 3 left at that point.
Late game, Mok killed a few Axegrinders while I surrounded him, but I got 4 attacks in on one turn (3 from height) to quickly kill Mok (did all 8 damage on that one turn). Axegrinders like facing large & huge figures.

1-0

Round 2 v. Heroscaper Guy (Microcorp Troopers x4, Laglor, Marcu)

This was the matchup that drove me to pick Q10, as I wanted him for his ability to kill Microcorp troopers fast in round 1.

Early game, I took 1 OM moving up a few axes to height and road that I now think was a mistake. They were killed too easily to early pot shots from troopers who didn't have a good attack on Q10. I used OM2 & 3 on round 1 to move up Q10, but he only killed 2 troopers on 2 full turns of 2x4 attacks while he took 3 wounds from Troopers.
Mid game, I had to switch to Axes as Q10 only had 1 life left. I took the occasional OM1 on Q10 as a risky shot, but he never got more than 1 or 2 troopers on the same turn. Axes rolled up, but due to a few well timed inits for Heroscaper Guy and fantastic target selection with the troopers, I had a lot of trouble getting more than 2-3 attacks per turn with my axes, and the few attacks I did get were not going through.
Late game, I took a big risk on a 1 life Q10 (multiple OMs) as I was running out of axes, but Q10 went down early in the round to seal the game. Heroscaper Guy had about 2 full squads of troopers left and a full life Laglor at the end.

1-1

Round 3 v. Shiftrex (Venocs x5, Mittens, Kaemon, Isamu)

Another good matchup for my army, especially if I can get a late game of Q10 v. Kaemon.

Early game, I took 1 OM on Axes to take the height next to my SZ to deny heighted shots from vipers, and 2 & 3 on Q10. Q10 took out a few vipers from range while claiming some good high ground in the middle of the map. But Shiftrex quickly got the glyphs with the fast vipers, making them even faster.
Middle game, I shifted my OMs to exclusivly Axes, who slow rolled into the center as a screen for Q10 (3 life left) and sent 1 Axe each turn to each of the glyphs, winning those dice trades consistently (3/3 v. 3/0, after all). Axes rolled through the Vipers, who never hit a frenzy, even with Mittens (I think 0/8 on Frenzy). I had 8-10 Axes left.
Late game, Kaemon moved out and took a good heighted spot where I could only get 1 Axe adjacent on even ground. I surrounded Kaemon to lock him up, only take the 1 even attack per turn, and sent 2 axes to start taking shots at Mittens. Once Kaemon was locked up, I switched back to Q10, who quickly finished Kaemon off with one turn of a 2x4.

2-1

Round 4 v. Wumpis (Shieldsmiths of Granite Keep x5, Kursus)

Kursus is the key to this matchup. If Kursus can get a good SA onto Q10 (5 v. 5 is scary for the big guy) and several adjacent Axes, I don't have the #s to fight off the smiths.

Early game, Wumpis went all Kursus, trying to bash my SZ with his leaping attack. I had OMs 1 & 2 on Axes, who moved out to deny any bounds into my SZ (Fulcrum is a good map to deny it on). Kursus moved onto one of the islands on the 2nd move, but I got 2 axes adjacent, who put 2 wounds on the big monkey. Kursus was then double engaged, and there was no valid spots for him to take the leaping special attack with as I had axes spaced out between my SZ and the island. OM3 saw Q10 move up onto the 3-height 3 hexes next to the jungle tree (where he stayed most of the game) and finish Kursus with a 2x4 attack.
Mid game, I played quite cautiously, rarely moving onto the middle of the map and using ranged shots from Q10 (took a lot of OM1s, but never multiple in the same round during the mid game) to force the shieldsmiths to come in quicker than they wanted to. The shieldsmiths held well (5 defense with frequent jungle is quite strong), and were largely winning the trade-off game as the narrow center meant we were both only getting 2-3 attacks per turn, negating my advantage of having more activations per turn. But eventually I had a good turn, killing all 3 forward deployed smiths and leaving me a lot of breathing space to develop better.
Late game, I took the left island, putting the 5 axes I had left in good blocking spots while Q10 took the central high ground, pinging smiths and forcing them to engage at a height disadvantage. The remaining 6 smiths were never able to break through that heighted axe blockade, and all died trying to take the island.

3-1

Round 5 v. BodaciousBlood (Blades, Grimnak, Tornak, Kuthnak)

I think I have a strong edge in this matchup, as BB's blades have no range to counter Q10. I had 2 goals in this game: limit Kuthnak's boosted blades to 2-3 attacks max, usually from a height disadvantage, and use Q10 to force the battle to happen basically in my SZ to maximize the damage prior to our mele armies hitting each other.

Early game, I opened pure Q10, who played very safe, always shooting from 7 spaces away with his 2x4 attack. BB tried to slow roll the blades, but Q10 was on fire, killing 5 blades in round 1 on 19/22 attack dice. Q10 ended up backing up into my SZ at the end of round 1, risking one LEA (which missed). I took one more OM on Q10 in round 1 (OM1) to keep the ranged shots up.
Mid game, I used mostly axes. My Q10 pings early made BB attack when only half of the blades had developed to the center, giving me a big #s edge in the mele matchup. Several blades did some damage with Kuthnak's help, but never killed more than 2 axes (and usually just 1) to the berserker charges. Eventually BB ran out of forward blades and was forced to retreat Grimnak, which left Tornak alone near my axes, who quickly surrounded and killed the small (relative) dino.
Late game, BB swung the remaining 6 blades, Grimnak, and Kuthnak around the south end up the map (Q10 & my axes were in my SZ at the top of the map) while I slowly moved my pod up to surround the glacier by Kelda, as I wanted Kelda reserved for Q10 if I needed it. I had a lot of OMs where Axes moved up without any fighting, but once they were set I switched back to Q10, who got a nice perch behind a screen of axes, forcing BB to finally engage my position. Q10 got most of the blades before they could do much damage, leaving Grimnak, Kuthnak, & 1 blade sitting on Ulaniva against Q10 and 6-7 axes. Grimnak tried his hardest (chomped some delicious axes who stood in his way), but Q10 > Grimnak heads up. BB then tried a hail mary with Kuthnak attacking up into an Axe that would have allowed the remaining blade to get a berserker on Q10 (still full health) and 2 of my remaining 4 axes, but the attack missed and Q10 finished off the orcs easily.

Kuthnak is a cool figure, but I don't think I would ever want to bring him to a tourney in a bring 1 format, as his effectiveness quickly falls off a cliff when facing someone who sets up their screen well to deny any good berserker charges. Trading 1 orc for 1-2 of your opponent's figures is just not a good trade most of the time, as the remaining opponent figures aren't often engaged (because your own figure died) and have movement freedom that cheap figures like blades thrive by denying. I think Kuthnak turns matchups you would have won anyways into massacres but doesn't help nearly as much as other heroes or another squad would in close matchups against someone screening well.

4-1

Thanks to all the organizers and my opponents, it was a fun tournament!
Old October 17th, 2020, 07:05 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
This Is Why We Play The Games

I liked Glad/Blast because no rats, no Cathar, and no WTF are all good things for them plus they're actually pretty decent against bonding melee. Varja is great against other range and really good against what I expected to be a pretty large set of common heavy builds. 18 figure limit and no Raelin hurt (although I expected I'd often be rolling melee defense) and my two worst maps came against very good players playing solid builds. I still made my losses close minus the game with X Marker where I put up a good fight but you can only do so much when your opponent has 60% attack and 40% defense.

Overall, I think my only major mistake was in a game against vegie where I should've attacked a Blade tying down my Gladiatron but I instead went for Grimnak. If things had swung just a bit differently, I could easily see my record being much better than it was. Still I had fun and I got to play my usual off the wall Dysole stuff.

~Dysole, uncertain what would've happened if she had gone with one of her other builds
Old October 17th, 2020, 08:53 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Firstly thank you to the event organizers for being awesome people and putting in all the hard work behind the scenes to make this happen.

Secondly, congratulations to dok for the win.

Thirdly, thanks to Dysole’s Raffle Spreadsheet for some Online-Con dice.

I spend a very long time analyzing what I thought the metagame would be for this format. I want to write up a much longer and in-depth breakdown of my thought process and results. I think my predictions were spot on. Hopefully, it can serve as a springboard for a good discussion on “how to discern a metagame in a new format” and be a resource for everyone. (LMK if you would all be interested in reading that, interest will likely make me write faster). Vegie and dok already described why it was a melee-dominated metagame and I agree with their assessments. My choice of bonding Axegrinders was because I felt dwarves had the edge in most melee matchups. Fearless advantage against the heroes of the Blades and Death Chasers. Attacks per turn advantage against the Death Chasers, Dreadguls, and Romans. I added Kursus as filler to add a special attack and add a threat against clumping armies like the Blades and the Romans. I tried other hero combinations but missed Mogrimm too much to go without him.

Game 1 vs Dysole (2x Gladatrons, 2x Blastatrons, The Varja, Isamu) on Stygean Rift (Kelda, Lodin)

I have very little experience playing with and against Trons. (Yes I see the irony, given my username.) Dysole developed much differently than I expected. She had her Blasts at the edge of their range and had the Glads right in front of them. Not engaging, just taking pot-shots. The Glads didn’t engage first in order to boost the Blasts attacks, they waited until I engaged before they swarmed. Most of you are probably saying, “Duh, that’s how you’re supposed to play them.” It definitely seems obvious now, but I guess I had been playtesting them all wrong. Trons take a certain “finesse,” to use Dysole’s word, to play well. I wasn’t prepared and was easily and soundly overwhelmed. It doesn’t help that the matchup is generally bad for melee into Trons. I definitely made some mistakes mid-late game. Notably a pair of OMs on Kursus that should never have gone on him. The Varja never saw any action. I killed all the Glads and 1 Blast by the time that time was called. I had Mogrimm with a few wounds on him and a single dwarf left. (0-1)

Game 2 vs XthorsavageX (Mok, Axegrinders of Buring Forge x3, Marcu Esenwein.) on Turmoil (Ulaniva, Wannok)

Going into this game, I knew I had the preferable matchup. Mok is huge and so the dwarves get Fearless Advantage and I had an extra squad than he did. I knew I had to keep Mogrimm away from Mok because Tough will do nothing against 7 attack dice. He started the game flying Marcu onto Wannok and then had some of his dwarves hop on Mok’s shoulders and begin to advance. I slow rolled, focusing on the shadow and the roads. I sent 1 dwarf over to marcu and in 2 turns that guy put a quick 5 wounds on Marcu, just shy of not getting the Wannok activation. I put the wound on Kursus, who I then realized, wasn’t needed in this game and could soak a few rounds of Wannok, allowing me to ignore Marcu from then on. The next rounds had Thor advancing his dwarves more before moving Mok up onto the height just outside his start zone. I think he overextended the Axegrinders and I was able to kill them before engaging and attacking Mok 2-3 times a turn. Once Mok was engaged he took out about 2 of my dwarves a turn, but they just kept coming and Mok probably only survived 3-4 turns worth of sustained attacks. From there it was clean up, 5 dwarves in his start zone and Marcu’s last life. (1-1)

Game 3 vs Knight of Scape (Honor Guard of the Blasted Land x5, Warden 816, Guilty McCreech, Isamu) on Stormwall (Valda, Dagmar)

This game was recorded for 10 Points Under, so you all might have a chance to see this one play out. I hadn’t played against the Honor Guard before so I didn’t know exactly what to expect. I was fairly sure I had the matchup advantage, 5 attacks and a d20 roll per turn vs 3 attacks per turn was going to be a hard hill for my opponent to overcome. The Warden and the Protective Repositioning power made the Honor Guard as fast as my dwarves. The first round was a race to Valda. I won initiative and I got there first. My OM 3 was on Kursus. I wanted to put him in a position to threaten the groups that these guys end up in but with the extra 2 move I was actually able to attack the pod of 3 who were closing in on my glyph holder. Sonic Fists killed 2 of the 3 in that group saving my dwarf on Valda. Next OM1 I went for the risky play to sonic fists the start zone. I attacked a group of 4 Guards and Guilty. No kills. Dead Kursus. That miss and lack of Axegrinder reinforcement for 2 turns allowed Knight of Scape to take Valda and hold it for a good portion of the rest of the game. The next couple of rounds consisted of me slowly pushing up towards Valda. I gained about a hex a turn because Mogrimm killed one and then the Axegrinder filled its spot. I came out ahead, likely because my dice were hot. Knight had 3 Honor Guardsmen and his heroes left once I took Valda back. He had Warden and Isamu left when time was called. (2-1)

Game 4 vs vegie dad (Death Chasers of Thesk, Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider, Kuthnak, Me-Burq-Sa, Isamu (dropped)) on Fulcrum

Wow what a game! This one had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. My first decision of this game happened before figures were even set, and its because of the map. Because Fulcrum is the bottleneck that it is, Kursus is much more valuable on this map than on others. In playtesting I could hit 3-4 figures in the center of the board quite frequently. But it depends on the opponent’s army, against 2-3 defense Death Chasers, it’s a no-brainer. Kuthnak was a wild card for me, he had been released last week and I hadn’t gotten any playtesting in with him (my playtesting DC army had James Murphy in his place, for Range and an AOE). Anyways, round 1 the Chasers out-developed me, because that’s what they’re good at. I put Kursus on the 3-hex height outside the start zone just so he could threaten. We traded Orcs for Dwarves with the Orcs pulling out ahead. I put Mogrimm in a bad spot and he fell quickly. Vegie’s dad put Nerak in a bad spot and I surrounded him and killed him in a turn. Once Nerak died, I saw an opening for Kursus. It looked like a better opportunity than it actually was but I got 2 wounds on MBS and killed a Chaser with my OM3. My next OM1 took out 3 chasers with Sonic Fists. Kursus earned his points and swung the game back in my favor. We trade some more figures until its 4 dwarves vs 2 orcs and full-life Kuthnak at the end of the round. It came down to the initiative roll, Vegie’s dad won. Killed 3 dwarves and one of his own with Boiling Blood on OM1 and that was the game. (2-2)

Game 5 vs Boromir96 (Axegrinders of Burning Forge x4, Ulfrid Hornwrangler, Darrak Ambershard)

Another game 5 (almost) mirror match! Another fight over Valda. This time I didn’t over extend to get it first, but took it slow and was able to control it most of the game. Ulfrid blanked on some key defense rolls, disengaged with 1 life left, survived, got Kelda and then blanked 2 more defense rolls. Mogrimm was key this game, Combat Leader allowed me to win 2 extra initiative rolls, never allowing Boromir the chance to swing the momentum. We traded dwarves pretty equally all game. Ulfrid wanted to go after Mogrimm early, I think that would have been the best way for Boromir to swing the game, but I never allowed it. I won with 3 dwarves and an unactivated Kursus left. (3-2)

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; October 17th, 2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Formatting

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day